1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

In Search of a Prius ... (Three or Four)

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by RhettP, Jul 13, 2015.

1. RhettP

RhettP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've been a 4dr Jeep Wrangler guy for the last 5 years and I decided to sell it and try something new. I must say that I hate cars in general but the Prius is appealing because of the advanced technology and good MPG's. I do like the hatchback aspect where I can just throw my tools and surfboard in the back with no problem. I've been test driving and researching for a about a week now and I have to say it is a very hard vehicle to buy.

I'm trying to find a black prius with less than 30k miles with the grey interior for less than $17,000. I have always bought cars that come out of three year leases and they tend to have around 30k miles. I'm seeing some good deals out there even in the certified area but they all tend to be former rental cars or they are being sold at shady mom and pop dealerships. I guess I could go a little higher but my goal is to pay around 16k so that after I put 10k down my monthly payments will be under $150 a month. The biggest problem is that any car from a toyota dealership that comes out of a personal lease with low miles ends up in the certified program. Thats tends to jack the car up about 2 or 3k in price. I'm just having a hard time buying a used car at 20k when I can get a base Prius for 21k through my employee truecar benefits program.

The other issue is that I do like all of the bells and whistles so the Prius two really comes delivered with the weak sauce. No navi and no sunroof etc. I did find a 2010 Prius IV, not Four because it is a 2010, with all of the best features for $16,800. Then I read that the engine is 98 HP at 5200 RPM's? Is that correct? Are all of the current Prius' equpped with the same engine?

Anyways, I would love to hear some advice on what to buy and what to avoid. Where to buy from, what to upgrade, what year is the best etc. Also, any mandatory threads on here I should read?

Thanks for your help and insights :)

2. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm no Prius expert, but the 3rd generation all have the same engine that puts out 98 HP, then there's the electric motor that makes the total of 134 HP. No speed demon, but it is sufficient.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Heck I would be willing to sell my 2015 in 3 years for $17,000. No questions asked.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    take one for a test drive before you go any farther,if you're concerned about hp. these cars are about mpg's.

5. RhettP

RhettP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm not worried about the HP, its just that a 2010 I was looking at had different specs in the listing than what is listed on the toyota website.

Thats all.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    must be a mistake somewhere, they are all the same. gen II 2004-2009 has one spec and gen III 2010-2015 has another.

7. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    ncases likes this.
  8. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    17K?

Search around in this forum.
    I just responded to TWO posts where people with 2-3 year old Priuses are despondent about only being able to get 14K for their cars in a private sale!
    For 17K you're almost able to get an off-least Pip.

Important!!! Wranglers and Priuses are worlds apart to drive!!! You're going to love some aspects of Priusdom but some things about these cars might drive you crazy, especially in left coast traffic.

DRIVE ONE.
    No....not some crappy 5-minute test-flight with a drooling salesperson in the co-pilot seat.
    I mean DRIVE one.
    See if you can rent one for a weekend.

Good Luck!

9. RhettP

RhettP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The same could be said about Jeeps. This was a 6spd manual that got 14mpg with a ton of suspension issues. I love Jeeps but the one I had felt like I was inside of a bass drum while riding a mechanical bull into work everyday. I'm also a creative person so the mods were taking up all of my time. There are just too many fun things you can do with one.

I'm just going to drive a Prius for a year or two and see how I like it. Some things off the bat about it suck as I can tell ... The battery issue, a huge lack of features such as moon roofs, fabric seats always look dirty, nav units are crap, suspension isnt that great, steering feels like its always misaligned, and those little pizza cutter tires can be noisy. The price points are all over the place too. I see some older 2010s with the same features and odo for the same price as some 2014s. It makes no sense. This is a very hard vehicle to buy used.

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1. What battery issue? Yours should be new
    2. Lack of moon roof, well you need to pay for that on a higher end model
    3. Fabric seats look dirty - if you have the dark gray color, it shouldn't be an issue
    4. Nav units are crap - yes I have to agree
    5. Suspension isn't that great - it's really in line with how a car should drive
    6. Steering feels like always misaligned - You should have to checked under warranty
    7. Pizza cutter tires can be noisy - It's not the tire, it's the hybrid car with less sound proofing material
    8. Used price points are all over the place - This happens with all cars.

11. RhettP

RhettP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    1. I don't own a prius yet, but I'm really having a hard time finding a Prius with low miles to avoid the battery issue - replacing the battery after about 100k miles. I was told it cost about $4,000.

2. Doesn't matter the color, they look dirty even when new. Maybe its just the way the material is made.

12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In California, the warranty is 150k miles or 10 years on the hv battery. It's one of the most generous warranties on earth

One of the best deals you can get NOW, is on the Prius plug in lease. You can get $3000 rebate from CA clean air board. Along with $4000 lease cash and dealer discounts!

That will bring a 3 year lease to about $7500 with a residual of $16500.

The Prius plug in will give you navigation and heated seats......and you can plug in and use the carpool lanes.

#12 JC91006, Jul 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2015
  13. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a battery issue with Priuses!!!

But it's not the one you think.
    The Aux (12v) battery is teeny-tiny for the car, and they're about $200 to replace.
    If you live in a CARB state (the "C" stands for California) then your traction battery is covered for 10 years/150K as JC91006 pointed out.

OK....so let's pretend that you don't live on the left coast, or in a CARB state.
    Re-manufactured batteries are selling for about $1200.
    I really don't see why everybody is always flopping and twitching about the traction battery!!!
    I've seen people on this forum with four figure repair bills for HVAC, brakes, etc.
    I think I remember one time an $800 repair bill for a lost keyfob!!!
    Believe me.....
    If you live on the left coast, then the battery will be the least of your problems!

If you're not deep enough to shake off a four-figure repair bill, then you have 2 choices:
    1. Buy a new car every 2-4 years and depend on your children or the government for your retirement.
    2. Consider mass transit.

As far as the costsfor used Priuses being all over the place, that's a combination of people buying 2-3 years ago at the top of the market when gas was $5/gallon, and people up-optioning their cars.
    I've seen a lot of $30,000 Priuses. :eek:
    No....not the Pip, a G3.

Right now you can get a brand new G3-2 for about $20k.
    Since there's about a $7-8K difference between the low end and the top end, this means that there is a lot of margin in the used Prius market for people who don't know what they're getting.
    Or..............“In the midst of chaos, there is also opportunity” ― Sun Tzu

If I were in the used Prius market, I'd be looking in this forum for people with 2-3 year old G3's who are crying about their car only being worth $15,000 and make them an offer.
    For your budget ($17K) that would give you a very dependable car that you wouldn't have to worry about fixing for a while, since you can bank the $2K remaining. :)
    Yup.....sounds like you have some stick time in Priuses alright! ;)
    Some of the twitchiness in the Electro-Lux steering will diminish as you get used to the car.
    The handling in these cars SUCK!!!
    There's just no getting around that, BUT you're coming out of a Wrangler, so you're going from a vehicle that turns like a toad, to a vehicle that turns like a toad for a different reason.
    Priuses have more body sway than a pregnant Kardassian, but some of the kids out there have been getting them to handle a little more like a car by modding (braces, shocks, lowering.)
    I think a lowered Prius is extra-redundant, and I'm thinking that a Jeep owner will miss the ride height and the visibility.
    For a car with as much glass as they have, Priuses have a LOT of blind spots.
    All of the other things---bifurcated rear glass, non-extendable visors, Helleen Keller radio, Alcoa Aluminum doors, felt-thin carpet, bizzarre scratch-magnet plastic, and a back-up beeper that's on the inside instead of the outside of the car---and others! You'll just have to experience those joys as you get used to the car.

Priuses are frugal, and they're reliable.
    Period.

If I were living in SoCal?
    I probably couldn't afford to drive anything else.

14. RhettP

RhettP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was thinking of doing a lease but I do Uber/Lyft on the side so the miles can add up quickly. Toyota is giving a 2k gas card for a lease so its a good incentive to go the lease route. I can't do the plug in because I don't have a place to plug it in at my apt. Well I do, it would take a long extension cord but I dont think my landlord would be too pleased!!!

15. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    a 24 month lease would not work for uber/lyft operations. Your $2000 gas card wouldn't be enough to pay for the penalties for going over the allowed mileage on the lease

16. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE

Get a 3yr/36k lease and trade it in after 24 months and roll into a new lease.... Case closed. A lot of dealers are quite happy to roll you into a new lease early without penalty.

This way your covered for the mileage..

17. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    but then he doesn't get a $2000 gas card. That's only on a 24 month lease

18. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE

Oh gotcha. Didn't notice that stipulation.

Is it a 24mo/24k mile lease or can he pay a little more per month and up the mileage on the lease.

Or

Do the 24 month. Drive it till the mileage maxes out and with that 2k gas card that will pay for ALL your gas in that time frame, around 60-70 fill ups, then roll into another lease...

19. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The only thing that's more stupid than borrowing money to buy a new car is borrowing money to lease new car......ESPECIALLY a Prius.

The reason why people in other parts of the forum are crying about "poor resale value" is that you have to keep a Prius for a while to leg out the initial depreciation when you buy it.
    The OP initially said something like:
    ".....I'm trying to find a black prius with less than 30k miles with the grey interior for less than $17,000."

This seems to be really smart.
    Well.....except for the Black part... :eek:

For $17K you can get a Pre-depreciated G3 that's in the prime of it's life, and have a good, dependable, frugal car for 1/3 off the regular price. You're dead-bang guaranteed to find a late model, non-modified, used G3 with about 30,000 miles on the clock that hasn't been wrecked, stolen, or neglected too badly.
    As far as other insults like towing, chemical experiments, track use (don't laugh!!! I've seen it.) well............you're on your own.

20. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    A lease is not stupid under certain conditions and for certain peoples situations.

A lot of people can afford a lease but not a purchase, that coupled with the fact that you don't really have to worry about depreciation, etc.

Plus you can roll into a brand new car if that's your thing every 2-3 yrs and not really take that initial huge hit like buying would hit you for.

I've been leasing for my wife's cars the last few years and it has been working well. I have always purchases my cars though.

With a lease you can "get a lot more car" for the price / payments you make as opposed to buying.