1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

In the midst of an exceptional tank

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by efusco, May 6, 2007.

1. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Evan,

I have two questions about your modifications, the RPM reader and the EBH.

About the EBH: Lets assume that the EBH saves you 20mpg (from 25 to 45) for the first 5 minutes, lets say a distance of 1.5 miles (for my commute). Instead of spending 0.060 gallons one ends up spending 0.033. Assuming 100 cold startups a month that is 2.7 gallons a month or $8 a month. That seems worth the parts expense and paying someone to install it. I'll assume it does not void the warranty?

Do you have a similar estimate about how much fuel one saves with the scangauge and what it does for your pulsing and gliding? Would it save me as much if the RPM is used between 1700-2300?

Thanks,
    Yiannis

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ystasino @ May 7 2007, 09:06 PM) [snapback]437249[/snapback]</div>
    I don't take financials into very serious consideration on my determinations for my 'toys'. The EBH is a pretty easy self-install and there are no warranty issues. The part is about $40. So I think you can make up cost if that's important. I just like saving gas and maximizing FE.

I would be very hard pressed on the "how much saved" question...I know I do a lot better with the ability to monitor rpm...if you wanted to use only that you can buy a very inexpensive analog rpm guage and hack that in...and that wouldn't be a bad use at all. But something like the CAN-View offers a lot more information...obviously at a much larger cost and I don't think there's any way you could justify the cost on a dollar for dollar basis.

3. PHanna

PHanna Junior Member

Congrats on your great ride. JimBok taught me how to drive this weekend at the Virginia Prius rally. I bought my '05 last Monday. Following his lesson, I filled up and got 72MPG for my drive from Richmond, VA to Charlottesville, VA. I am psyched! The big cost factor is time. I had to really slow it down to achieve this. I never realized how much "hurry" was costing me.

My question is, if I find myself in a situation where I must slow down quickly, and perhaps eventually stop, like at a traffic light, does it make sense to use the "B" in order to slow down faster, and also regenerate more power?
    Thanks in advance for your help.

4. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EarthCare @ May 7 2007, 10:12 PM) [snapback]437288[/snapback]</div>
    You should look at Hobbit's B-mode stuff.

B-mode won't help you slow faster and it won't regen more. In fact, if you're over 20mph when you engage it will cause the ICE to spin faster and burn more and it won't allow you to go into stealth. It's far better 1)to avoid fast stops but rather to glide into them as much as time and traffic allow, and 2)Use the regen braking in the 60amp range when you must brake more quickly.

5. GadgetMan2

GadgetMan2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 6 2007, 07:14 PM) [snapback]436523[/snapback]</div>
    I was not implying YOU are posting inacurate info. It appears most, if not all of us are obsessed with MPG with this vehicle. That darned consumption screen is riveting! I am sure some people would be tempted to post one excellent screen shot but not the resulting other bad ones. Of course this woudl send new people (like myself) into a tail spin wondering why we don't get 70, 80 and up milage. I am quite happy with 50+ on average. I have only had the car 9 days now (and have 700+ miles on it, seems a little high, but I drive it everychance I get, just too fun). The first day, I averaged 43 MPG, but starting on day 2, went up to 50+ and have been there since. I think I am getting used to eyeballing that screen and adjusting my driving to increase MPG, plus is it getting broken in. Heck, if I get as good or better milage then a motorcycle in a 4 door family sedan (fully loaded), how can ANYONE argue the benefits of the hybrid? If gas gets up to $4/gal, I figure us Prius owners will be spending closer to $2/gal because we get about 2x the milage of most other cars/trucks. Heck, with that logic, we are really spending about $1.5/gal now!

Bottom line, if you get 45 MPG on average (or higher), be happy. Don't let MPG consume you.... If you don't get 45 MPG or so, keep learning to drive it more efficiently.

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    MPG update:
    71.0 MPG at 454 miles, 2 pips showing on the fuel guage.

7. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Evan, that's only 246 miles till a 700 tank :D :D :D .

Wayne

8. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ May 9 2007, 09:16 AM) [snapback]438215[/snapback]</div>
    A little less than that now. 2 pips still on the guage 490 (about) miles and 71.3mpg. 600 is definately in reach...I don't think a push to 700 is a realistic option for me...running out of gas on the way to school with the kids isn't too cool! :huh:

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 9 2007, 10:25 AM) [snapback]438223[/snapback]</div>
    Wana borrow my 3 gallon gas can?
    No wait, the extra 22lbs will kill the mpg. :p

10. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ May 7 2007, 05:11 PM) [snapback]437182[/snapback]</div>
    Meaning "I thought everyone had."?

I've never had more than about 525 miles on a tank and managed to squeeze in 10.5 gallons that one time. I'd run out of gas on that trip. From Spokane to Fairmont Hot Springs and back.
    That was at highways speeds usually no more than 65 mph.

I'm going to do an experiment next week when my wife is gone. No driving in Cheney at all. Those are all very short trips. Most of my driving will be to and from Spokane, and around Spokane. I'll see what I can do under those conditions. I know it's got to be better than what I've been doing.

Dave M.

11. VABeachPrius

VABeachPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Evan,

Good job. Here is a little inspiration from today's fillup.

[​IMG]

I did this for 50 minutes on route to above:

[​IMG]

I had a segment of about 95 mpg over 51 miles today. With warmer temps, 900 miles will be had by the end of May!

12. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VABeachPrius @ May 11 2007, 06:36 PM) [snapback]440269[/snapback]</div>
    Fillup...you quitter ;) .

Wayne

13. Gringa

Gringa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 6 2007, 06:16 PM) [snapback]436502[/snapback]</div>

Wow, Seeing MPG results like yours, no wonder I becoming obsessed! I've had my Pri almost three weeks now and it's becoming a daily contest to improve my mileage. My first tank I toyed with 47 mpg and the current one is hanging in there around 52. Everyday I update my husband with my mileage ( his response is always that I better be watching the road rather than the MFD ). He just doesn't understand...... but he should, he inherited my 15 mpg Jeep Gran Cherokee. :lol:

14. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, after my morning commute I thought I was slightly ahead of VaBeachPrius with my current tank:

[​IMG]

Three cheers for Chris! :D :D :D

Lowlife. ;)

15. jimmylozza

jimmylozza New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VABeachPrius @ May 11 2007, 06:36 PM) [snapback]440269[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe the key is to not ever clean the screen. :p

16. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    seriously people... this makes me wanna get a scooter or something to drive to work, just so i don't have to take the mpg hit of a short commute. :lol:

17. PHanna

PHanna Junior Member

You High Mileage folk (do we have a name for this?) are certainly an inspiration to me! Can you give any tips for going up hill, say, from a stop? I had my best tank yesterday at 501 miles, adding 10.108 gallons. I find my biggest challenge is that when someone is riding with me I can't put them through the experience of going so slow. Am I right that going slow and accelerating slowly is a big part of the practice, in addition to P&G?

18. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EarthCare @ May 12 2007, 07:37 AM) [snapback]440478[/snapback]</div>
    Good morning, EarthCare. Congrats on the tank!

I think I mentioned to you that if you keep the instantaneous MPG at or above half the speed of the car, you're probably within the ICE's efficiency range. Depending on how steep your hill, though, you might have to push it beyond that. Now as for impatient passengers, it could be worse for them. You could make them walk. :D

19. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Damn this '04 tank...argh!!

@554 miles showing 72.1 MPG the "Add Fuel" warning came on and the last pip began to blink. I can watch the fuel level w/ CAN-View, and will probably do so to push past 600 miles. But this is just silly....Even if I'm only getting 70mpg I should have only used 8 gallons....2/3rds of the tank. But I have no idea what the actual capacity is.

Still, 600 should be doable, but I'm not brave enough to push further.

20. gazz

gazz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 7 2007, 07:58 AM) [snapback]436745[/snapback]</div>

If I go into neutral on a long glide below 41 the ICE shuts off, well that is what my scangauge says. 0 mph 99999 mpg.