1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

In the midst of an exceptional tank

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by efusco, May 6, 2007.

1. VABeachPrius

VABeachPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Evan,

Did your 70+ mpg start towards the second half of the tank? You should have three pips left at that kind of MPG and mileage.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gazz @ May 13 2007, 09:24 AM) [snapback]441037[/snapback]</div>
    Fuel burn is low, but look at the RPM...the ICE is still turning. Look at fuel flow and you'll see a small amount of fuel being burned to maintain the ICE turning. The previous poster is correct, if you go into neutral while the ICE is turning it will continue to turn. If, however, you're already in ICE-off stealth (below 41mph) and enter neutral it will stay in neutral.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VABeachPrius @ May 13 2007, 02:31 PM) [snapback]441157[/snapback]</div>
    I believe it started in the first half. I realize that I should have more pips, but I've never gotten more than 9.3 gallons in this tank (60k miles on the ODO). My Can-View is showing ~12% on my tank volume, I think I'll use that as my guide for now. When I started up after work it showed 15%. In any case, I'm filling up Tuesday night after work, if not sooner, but will make sure I get my 600 mile tank.

3. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 13 2007, 01:20 PM) [snapback]441167[/snapback]</div>
    I've been trying to match you, but failed today. At 69.0 mpg at 201 miles, it's still the best mileage I've maintained this long. I was keeping it at slightly above 70.0 through yesterday, but the weather is cooler today. About 55 F as I ended my trip to Spokane and back today. At least that's my excuse. Even though the good mileage isn't likely to continue, I'm at least hoping for a 600+ mile tank this time.

I'll admit it. I've been cheating. I haven't been driving the car around Cheney at all. Only for round trips into Spokane, and only back roads where I never have to go above 55. Most of the trip is done at 42 mph or less.

Oh, a side note. The first pip disappeared at 177 miles.

Dave M.

4. gazz

gazz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 13 2007, 03:20 PM) [snapback]441167[/snapback]</div>
    Yes that may answer my question, neutral can behave like glide, but when I have tested it I would put into N when the ICE is off.

5. gazz

gazz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also,

I just drove home from work, and I approached a long slight down hill. I was doing 35mph and instead of starting a glide (no arrows) then as I get to about 42mph the yellow arrows come on and end up at the point I have to slow doing about 47mph. Today though at the point of begining a glide at 35mph I put it in neutral, the rpm was 0mph and the mpg was 9999mpg as reported by the scangauge. As I picked up speed and went through the 42 mph point nothing happened it went upto the 47 mph.

The question is again is the ICE stationary (therfore no drag and no fuel) at 47 mph and using no battery, it feels as if it is but I am not 100% shaw.

Sorry for keep pushing this one but I would really like to get this clear in my head, plus I have a lot of long down hills which make me pick up speed above 41mph.

Thanks again

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gazz @ May 14 2007, 07:04 AM) [snapback]441535[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, if the ICE is off when you go into neutral it has to stay off. Remember that it is 'started' by MG1, if you are in neutral it is completely disengaged from MG1...thus there is no starter to get it spinning. While in neutral there is a theoretical maximum speed you can go (I think it's 68mph) b/c MG1 is spinning and has a max. RPM itself of 10k, damage can occur if it spins faster than that.

7. gazz

gazz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 14 2007, 07:26 AM) [snapback]441539[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for that, it seems to make sence now.

8. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The writting was on the wall, there was no way I could go 700 miles before I leave for my fishing trip on Wed. morning, I have to pick up kids from school and the "Add Fuel" warning had been blinking for 53 miles. CAN-View still showed I had 10% of the fuel tank to go (over a gallon) so given time and conditions I think 700 was conceivable, but there just wasn't any good reason to try to push further at this point other than greed and self-satisfaction.

I calculated 609 miles using my odometer rather than the MFD's 607 and filled (topping off a bit) with 8.721 gallons for a calculated 69.6mpg. By a very long shot my best tank (one was a short fill that calculated higher, but I knew it was false at the time of fill up).

I seem to have had near-perfect conditions. No interstate trips, no multi-stop short trips, etc. Many of my work shifts were during off-peak traffic hours so by taking my back route I had the road nearly to myself most of the time. Weather was not too cold (low of ~50 F) nor too hot (high of 88F) so no heat or air was necessary. I used the EBH forgetting to turn it on only a couple times the whole tank. I focused on staying at 1275rpm during stage one with minimal drain on the battery while that initial stage was going through it's steps. I focused on sweet-spot acceleration from stops and during pulses keeping b/w 1700-2000rpm almost the entire tank. And I did Pulse and Glide pushing my low end speed down just a few mph esp. at night when I was alone on the road.

Folks, that IS the recipe! With flatter roads and less city portion I think I could average 75mpg in similar weather.

Thanks, everyone who's sent congrats, this was a fun little adventure. I think my new minimum target needs to be 60mpg...upper is still to be determined!
    [​IMG]

9. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Once again, congratulations! My tank is sitting at exactly ... 72.9 MPG. Got 2 pips left with a little over 600 miles, so 700 is a possibility. Regardless, this tank will be my best ever, MPG-wise, as well.

10. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 14 2007, 01:22 PM) [snapback]441886[/snapback]</div>
    Greed and self-satisfaction is Good!

More seriously, with the pip flashing for 53 miles, I wouldn't have chanced any further either, not unless I was certain a gas station was within a block or two of anyplace I was driving.

Anyway, a 600 plus mile tank is great in my opinion. I hope to do that before my wife gets back from Columbia, MO in the middle of next week. As soon as she starts driving again there will be trips of 2 or 3 miles at a time, and the mileage will drop like a rock. The trouble is, I may have trouble making up enough excuses to go to Spokane and back. I can justify 3 trips on the weekend, but probably not any more during the week.

Dave M.

11. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Congrats Evan, good job. Hope you posted in the "I Beat the EPA" thread.

Wayne

12. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Congrats Evan on the new highs! It's too bad you have such a boring car :lol: .

Hope to hear of a 75mpg tank soon!

13. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My recent tank was 50mpg. 400+ miles on 8 gals of gas. Fantastic!

Dave

14. Green Hokie

Green Hokie Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Congratulations, Evan! I've been following your thread closely. Definitely inspiring stuff. While I'm relatively new to hypermiling (bought my Prius in March), I'm a very quick learner. I don't think I can ever get the +70 mpg tanks, since most of my driving is interstate. However, I'm getting better & closer!! :D

Please excuse my indulgence, but check out my current tank. As you can see in the upper left hand corner of the second picture, I have 2 pips left on this tank. Therefore, I'm confident I can get over 650 miles before refilling. Sorry about the quality of the second photo. It took me a couple of minutes to get a picture with decent enough focus & coverage.

[attachmentid=8019]

[attachmentid=8020]

Attached Files:

15. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Hokie @ May 14 2007, 06:00 PM) [snapback]441984[/snapback]</div>
    Oh no...another Virginia hypermiler B) .

Wayne

16. singingtiger

singingtiger New Member

Evan
    Congratulations on your exceptional, personal-best tank.
    It is a great feeling of accomplishment to achieve another goal with the Pruis and it is still only spring so you have the 'likely better mpg' tanks with warmer months ahead.
    We will look forward to the reporting of your actual 70.0 mpg tank!
    :rolleyes:

17. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks all, I'm still basking in the glory...current tank is about 76mpg...but that's only w/ 15 miles or so....

One routine commute to do tomorrow then I turn the keys over to my wife for the rest of the week...I'll have some serious work to do to get the mileage back up after I take it over again on Sunday...

18. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Hokie @ May 14 2007, 07:00 PM) [snapback]441984[/snapback]</div>
    Hey, great tank! Now, start looking for alternatives to the interstate, and I'll bet you can push it up to 70. ;)

19. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Congratulations to 600 mile club!

I would like to tell hints for 700 mile challenge.
    You're sure you had 8.721 gallons in your tank. If you see 83 mpg on the MFD, the real number will be 80.5 mpg (3% less), then
    you'll have 8.721 X 80.5 = 702 miles opprotunity without worrying about run out of gas.

Ken@Japan

20. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken1784 @ May 14 2007, 10:34 PM) [snapback]442151[/snapback]</div>
    LOL! Just that easy...83mpg, sure!

This is the second or third time I've gotten 600 miles, just the first I've exceeded 70mpg.

I just need a good circumstance to go for the 700mile mark...and maybe one of those infamous 'sealed' 1 gallon gas cans to rescue me.