1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

In the perfect window to buy a new or used Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by efusco, Feb 5, 2010.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not in the market due to my upcoming sabbatical, but if not for that I have to believe all this anti-Toyota/anti-Prius hysteria makes this the ideal time to work a great deal on a new Prius or to pick one up used from some frightened owner who doesn't really understand what a minor issue this thing is.

Any speculation on how much of a bargain one might be able to get?

2. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been wondering the exact same thing. The dealers might be willing to deal (after all, most of their products have been cut off from sales and they might be getting a bit hungry by now). Toyota USA should offer big loyalty incentives NOW, not later, to keep things going - but there is little hope they will.

3. ToyotaFleetManager

ToyotaFleetManager New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Depending on what region you are in there are different incentives. Gulf States is currently offering a $1000.00 owner loyalty rebate on any Toyota you purchase in February. Some region have special lease rates on Prius leases (not in GST) and others are offering some special financing.

That said our traffic and sales on 2010 Prius has not seen any significant dip due to this issue. Our inventory of 2010 G3 Prius is still relatively low.

The inventory of regular ICE Toyotas should be back to normal at most dealers by early next week. We have been retrofitting the regular inventory with the fix since we recieved the parts mid week.

As seen on this board there might be a few individuals who might be spooked by the media and their sensationalist stories that might sell their G3 Prius in a panic but that will likely not be the norm.

This forum is excellent for helping set the story straight on what the problem is and what the solution is. The Prius fix is a simple reflash of the ECU on the affected G3 Prius.

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My intentions were to purchase this spring or summer. But recent events have made me investigate in a selfish manner if I could benefit. As far as New Prius purchase, I don't sense any panic from dealerships. Prius prices aren't going up, but they don't seem to be going down either.

Used might be a different story, if Honda/GM/Ford are going to give Toyota owners incentives to trade in their Toyota vehicles, then they might have a nice supply of perfectly good Toyota's build up. Once the hysteria dies down they should be able to sell them and make a profit. It might mean more used Toyota on the market than normal.

I do have to keep my eyes open.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The information on the current state of affairs is certainly useful, but it's also only been about 2 days since the MSM latched upon the 2010 Prius brake story, so I expect things will get a bit worse before they get better as far as public awareness goes and thus, I think there will be a window of down sales.

Plus, I'm aware that the regen/friction transition issue is minor and a simple flash, but the public won't know and, in large part, won't care...the seed of fear has been planted and they'll hear "Prius" and think "brake recall" for some time to come.

Let me know in 2 weeks how sales are going!

My point is not at all to pile on, but more to take a realistic view of things. Those of us who love Prius and understand what's going on are likely in an excellent position to take advantage of the down sales of Toyota in general and Prius in particular while Toyota ramps up public education and such.

6. ToyotaFleetManager

ToyotaFleetManager New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota has informed us that the vast majority of the advertising budget for February will be centered around the recalls and informing the public of the facts.

In the past two weeks the consumers I've spoken to and after explaining the facts of the recalls have overwhelmingly responded positively to the information. Over 90% of these have responded positively and said they plan to continue to support Toyota.

There are always a few, including some here on this forum that won't believe or support Toyota, but most responses have been positive.

Will Toyota do something in the near future in forms of incentives, rebates or special rates. It is likely, however I don't have any inside information on that.

Whether they do or not, I expect as consumers we are always looking for the best price, deal, value in our purchases. Toyota lovers or not it is always expected that you will try to get the most value for the dollar. It is not only expected but also reasonable to accept that. Responsible dealerships will respect that. Hopefully we can provide you with that value and you will be driving a Gen3 Prius or other Toyota of your choice soon.

7. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    This has already started - my local news radio station traffic reports are sponsored by Toyota urging consumers to get recall facts at Toyota.com

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Those Feb educational ads would be ideal to point out the fact that the friction brake pads last much longer due to the initial regen brake.

9. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That's good to hear, TFM. It certainly is a confirmation of my outlook re my Prius, which incidentally is the first Toyota I have ever owned.

On the deals issue, I believe the best deals anyone will get are from the pathetic wusses showing up on these threads who have been recent purchasers of 2010 G3 Prius', and have through utter ignorance become scared sh****ss by all the media hype and frenzy they are being bombarded with. Tracking these folks down and making them an offer could provide one with the deal of the decade!

10. lys

lys AerodynamicMac

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, here at the other side of the Pond, we're envious of your opportunity to catch a good deal on an used G3.

In my country forum absolutely nobody is in any way to trade.
    :(

Mi Toyota Prius - Ãndice de subforos

Well, I'm a happy camper with my G2.
    :)

11. enerjazz

enerjazz Energy+Jazz=EnerJazz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was considering a used Prius for my daughter and decided to contact a few local dealers (Dallas area) to see if they were offering deals on the 2010 (I would take the 2010 and give my daughter my 2004). The dealership was empty and they offered the car at invoice price (not MSRP, but about $1000 less) and then another $1000 off for the loyalty rebate. Very good deal and they would go lower if I bought one of the 6 on the lot. I'm using that to negotiate down the used prices while I decide which route to go. I really still like my 2004 and would be happy to keep driving it, but this does look like a great time to get a deal on a 2010.

12. ManualOnly

ManualOnly New Member

Sometimes, negative publicity has some surprising outcome.

From CNNMoney:
    Buyer interest in Prius up

For the 1st time, I am reading some sense coming back to the media.
    At least misleading words like "brake failure" being replaced by "brakes that hesitated to work "....

Perfect time to start shopping for a post-Jan Prius? You bet.;)

13. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    In my area the AAA price is under invoice.

14. Lottamoxie

Lottamoxie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Which is proof that the 'invoice' price on cars is not the true cost AT.ALL. Because no dealer is going to sell the Gen3 Prii (still a popular car) at a loss.

15. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is no company wide discount on the Prius - check the Toyota webpage. It is up to the individual dealer to give a discount but I imagine that is quite rare unless you live in rural America. In fact most dealers, like those in the Bay Area (where everything is more expensive), would probably chuckle if you tried to haggle for a thousand or two back.

There are also no significant discounts on used Priuses. I scoured my local Toyota Certified Dealer website. Nothing unusual compared to a few months ago when I bought mine. Prices are still holding as I would expect:

2009 Touring 18K miles no leather - $22,000
    2009 base 38K miles - $17,000
    2008 33K miles - $19,000
    2007 base 46K miles w/ leather - $16,000

16. enerjazz

enerjazz Energy+Jazz=EnerJazz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There are regional incentives though - Gulf States Toyota $1000 loyalty rebate on any Toyota is offered through Feb.

Dealers are all much more open to negotiation right now - even in the big cities. I've bought 2 Prius in the Dallas area. First one (2004) I had to wait for 5 months and haggle to get to MSRP but still got stuck with a port package. Second one in 2006 we had to walk out and have them chase us down to sell at MSRP and no port package. For the 2010, 2 of the 3 dealerships started at invoice and were going down from there. Because of the overzealous negative news coverage they aren't chuckling at any customer right now.

When I tell people selling used ones that I can pick up a new model at a couple thousand off, then they start moving down quickly too.

17. UsedToLoveCars

UsedToLoveCars Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A

I like the way you think...

18. a1a1a1

a1a1a1 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    On the other hand, it's the perfect time NOT to sell a Prius!!!

19. colfacs

colfacs New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree, but if I were a dealer, I would ignore your advice and cover the overhead any way I could. Buy now!

20. rbusta

rbusta New Member

Model:
    II
    I'm going to pick up my Prius, that I negotiated on Wednesday, today.

2010 Prius II for $500 under invoice after the $500 they are offering in Oregon/Washington. Also, 3.9% financing is available from lenders other than TMC so you can combine the two rebates if you finance through one of them.