1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

in use charge port cover?

Discussion in 'Prime Accessories and Modifications' started by bruceha_2000, Mar 2, 2019.

1. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Had to replace my '09 Prius this week, totalled last Saturday when I was hit driver's side front. I bought a new '18 Prime Advance. The concept of coming out in the morning to a charging port full of snow, or worse, freezing rain, is not appealing. Does anyone make a cover of some sort that will exclude such things when the car is plugged in?

Thanks,
    Bruce

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No. I too first thought that might be a problem, but have not had any issue for two winters charging outside in the harsh New England winter elements with snow, freezing rain, sub-zero temp. That said if you have a garage you can park and charge your car, it makes your experience so much better, I think.

IMG_20171210_115122.jpg

3. lextoy

lextoy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    is there a built in GFCI in the evse ??? or are we really relying on the GFCI of the outlet or circuit (hopefully it has one)

4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am not knowledgeable enough to comment on exact electrical engineering that went into the designing of CCID but here is an excerpt from the manual.

■If the error warning indicator on the CCID (Charging Circuit Interrupting Device) illuminates or flashes during charging There may be an electrical leakage in the power source path, or there may be a malfunction in the charging cable or CCID (Charging Circuit Interrupting Device). Refer to P. 110 and follow the correction procedure. If the error warning indicator does not turn off even after performing the correction procedure, immediately stop charging, remove the charging cable and contact your Toyota dealer. Continuing to charge the vehicle in that condition may lead to unforeseen accidents or serious injury.

Annotation 2019-03-03 083849.jpg

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe some self sticking door foam insulation from home depot. you can get different thicknesses, and stick it on the inside edge so it won't interfere with operation, but pretty well seal things up