1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

In WARM areas, how empty is the gas tank when it blinks?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Potential Buyer, May 13, 2005.

1. mdacmeis

mdacmeis Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius\";p=\"90322)</div>
    It is probably due to the cable release of the fuel filler door which is easier to route if both the lever and the latch are on the same side of the car.[/b][/quote]

Actually, this is a fuel system integrity feature. The driver's side rear corner is the least likely to be hit in a crash. Thus you often see the left side for US cars and the right side for the same car in Japan and many European countries if they are right hand drive.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah but this is built on a RHD vehicle. It's not specifically built for us so it'll be on the passenger side for RHD countries.

3. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius\";p=\"90882)</div>
    And looking at the pictures on the Japanese Prius site, they consistantly show the fuel door on the left side, as in the US.

4. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

[/quote]Would you be willing to carry a small can of gasoline (an approved container, of course!)?

Then go until you run out and see what your full potential range is?[/quote]

Not a good idea to carry gas in a can but that is what I do, just like I did with Saabs years ago (With them you had to go to less than 2 gal left or you didn't get the oil mix right for the 2 cycle engine.) But around here at least most all the cans leak! Then I found this

http://www.no-spill.com/CARBcans.htm

Got the carb approved type with long spout. Works much better, than the ones in stores around here. Seals pretty good for a small plastic can.

5. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tomdeimos\";p=\"90894)</div>
    I wouldn't carry a gas can routinely, even in the back of my pickup, but I'm just suggesting it for the sake of the one-time experiment without having to run out and then rely on EV only.

6. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I have a gas can, but when I went to get 2 gallons for my lawnmower, it wreaked! In this Florida weather, I would not want to carry a gas can 48 miles to work with me.

So, we'll see, but I probably will chicken at 650 miles again.

Hmm. drove 657 miles, and put in 11.5 gallons.
    No, I think I'll stop at 650.

7. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32\";p=\"90904)</div>
    I didn't take your Florida sunshine into account, I wouldn't want a gas can inside my car on a hot sunny day either.

I sure hope I will realize similar MPG and range as you do on my 33 mile one-way commute, a mix of about 10% back woods winding rural roads with some minor hills and a few stop signs, 30% fairly flat secondary highways with only a couple of stop lights, and 60% multilane highway that is flat and usually clear open, but occassionally is stop and go for the last 4-5 miles.

8. Graz

Graz Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey Everyone, :wave:

I have put over 6000 miles on my Package 6 now and I have only once put more than 10 gallons into it. I always wait till the last light blinks. Last time I let it go farther than I could have, and the trip meter read 25 miles when I finally filled.

My MPG is steadily increasing, but I have NEVER gotten more than 47 MPG over a single tank of gas. I keep trying, but I think it is one of those lifelong goals I may never realize.

In any event, I have no idea how much gas is in the tank once this light starts to blink. One assumption I have uses is that each light in the fuel bar equals 10% of the tank. But that assumption has failed me in the past. Commonly with regard to fuel tanks/meters.

It is a good practice to set one of the trip meters to zero as soon as the last light begins to flash. I then assume that I have at least one gallon left, and I calculate that I have approximately the average mileage to go before I run out. No I have never ran out. And I won't carry a gas can unless it is an extreme emergency.

Given the common complaints about the gas tank/meter inaccuracies, I find it amazing that no one really seems sure how much gas is left in the tank when that last light starts to blink. I would have thought that some of you Master Toyota Prius Technicians would have a definite answer to this. However, if it is a black art, or if Toyota uses some zany voodoo of smoke and mirrors to calibrate the tank/meter and display. I am at a loss.

9. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Yup, smoke and mirrors. Attila has a graph showing the raw output of the gas guage. Them numbers are all over the place.

Current stats: Bar started blinking at 597 miles. The 2nd bar took forever to go out, like 70 miles but the last bar went fairly quick, closer to 30.
    Currently at 645 miles on tank, so about 42 miles since blink. MPG currently 57.4, went up from 56.8 when blinking started. Time to look for least expensive brand name gas in Pasco which is about 25 miles away from work.

10. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Go Dan Go 57.4 times 12 equals 688.8. You regularly see less than the MFD mileage on your car so I hope you started with it ful full full.

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wait, Dan. This is the same tank that you said was at 450miles with two bars left?!?! niiiiice.

12. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Yeah, I did say that, I should have said 550, but it was closer to 540.

13. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ray Moore\";p=\"91203)</div>
    Yup, that's what worries me. Used to get 2MPG less actual, but lately has been closer to 1.
    Soo... 56x12=672. Sheesh.

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice. I was roughly were you were at 450. I currently have 2 bars and 687kms. This is my best tank so far (at 53.5mpg) and this will be 2nd 700km+ tank so I'm excited.

15. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Go for it! Don't do it!

Your chants are reminding me about a time when I was a kid, a friend lit a firecracker that didn't go off. Others yelled for him to go get it, I told him to wait. He went for it, it went off. He ran home crying.

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I'm heading down to the states today so I'll have to pump. I don't have the nav so I won't be able to find nearby stations in an emergency so I'll have to pump at Blaine <sigh>

17. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

don't use that Wa. State gas your going to take a hit on your mileage. Gas in White Rock or Slurry.

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok. Well I cracked and pumped 20 mins ago. 85.0¢/litre, can't resist. 713kms and 30.586 litres <sigh>

19. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

wow....4.289 not to bad at all. 65.8 imp 54.8 US can't knock that at all.

20. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

OK, I know you are all have been in great suspense for the last several hours. Did Dan go for it? Did he break 700 miles for his tank?

Well, let me ease your suffering. :lol:

I came close but no, I did not break 700. :cussing:
    I clocked 686.2 miles and put in 12.15 gallons of gas. That calculates to 56.5 miles per gallon. The MFD displayed 57.3 miles per gallon. I was able to drive 88.7 miles.
    I did not run out of gas. I chickened out. :oops: Actually, I ran out of drive time. I was originally planning on stopping in Pasco, about 22 miles from work, where some branded stations actually had $2.03/gal. but instead drove another 22 miles to get near home, where the cheapest gas on route was $2.05. So I came 14 miles short, but went over the tank capacity by .3 gallons. Maybe when the weather gets warmer or we have overcast for a week and my AC doesn't have to work so hard on the way home I might be able to make 700 miles.

I now know that I do have a usable 12 gallons, and can easily drive 600 miles on a full tank with room to spare, as long as I am over 52 MPG on the display.