1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

In WARM areas, how empty is the gas tank when it blinks?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Potential Buyer, May 13, 2005.

1. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    yep that is true Dan. I'm currently at 499 miles and 59.7 MPG. I am still showing 3 bars on the guage. I think this should be a slam dunk for another 700 mile tank. The AC at 93 degrees seams to be offset by the shorter warmup cycle etc. I maintained the 59.7 this afternoon on my 33 mile drive with AC and my house is 600 feet higher in elevation than my jobsite.

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

500 miles AND 3 bars? That's fantastic! Yup, you should get to 700 miles on this tank, depending how many miles into that third bar you are.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats Dan.

Thanks Frank. Just came back from the trip on a rather disappointing tank mileage which makes me wonder whether that last 4.28L/100km tank wasn't a full tank

4. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

only one real way to find out is on the next few tanks over a couple of months. I had that also on the tank I filled to take it to a one year average, it was only a few liters but was the worst I've ever got with this car.

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Okie doke. Well, the car was fully loaded with 4 passengers, luggage and (on the way back) shopping that, surprisingly, all fitted underneath the floor and I was going 70mph so I guess that all could've contributed to the poorer fuel mileage (MFD 5.1, calc'd 6.12). Kinda sad since my friend who owns a TSX also pumped the same amount of fuel in his car. I had 4 bars left and pumped 28 liters. He pumped almost 30 litres

6. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Well, the last bar just started blinking at 628 miles on the tank. Current average displayed is 60.6 MPG. That is the best I've ever had at this point in the tank. I think the air filter replacement helped just a wee bit. I don't think this is the 800 mile tank but it should be a bit better than my longest to date.(763 miles) My wife is at 53.3 on hers but she isn't nearly broken in yet, not to mention the car.

7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

When you got 763, how many gallons did you fill, or what was your MPG? Maybe I didn't need to chicken out at 684 miles.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Update: I'm still at 10 bars and 173kms into the tank. MFD is showing 4.4L/100km. This is the furthest I've driven on 10 bars. Usually it'll go out at 100kms. Is this normal?

9. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
  10. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Dang! Could have done 700 miles after all.

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Update 2: Ok, the first bar went at 196kms. So the gauge isn't stuck :p

Ray, well you're an exception :mrgreen: I'll never be able to match your figures and frankly, yours figures are just something that I can aspire to and to show naysayers what's possible =) Thx Ray

12. Frank Hudon

Tideland I think the highest I've ever had before the drop is 168Km. On that one I remember about 10-12 clicks after the pump kicked off.

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I never go more than a few clicks. I usually just round off. But if it did click off in what I can assume is early, should I just pull the nozzle out then slide it partially back in and continue pumping lightly til the next click?

14. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Holy Moly-
    Currently at 717 miles at 60.8 MPG. So far I've gone 89 miles on the flashing bar. The first bar fell off at around 190 miles. Mixed driving. Yes the Prius can exceed the EPA ratings....with one wheel tied behind it's back.

Due to where I would be when I near my record, I won't be trying to beat it this time. I'll fill up on the way home.

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  16. Frank Hudon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Tideland Prius\";p=\"92465\")</div>
    if it's warm like it is now just let is sit for 15 seconds or so and then give it some more, not full throttle, about 1/4 or so. If it's really warm if you wash the windows and go back to pumping it's not unusual to put in 5-6 liters more as the bladder expands/stretches a bit and the evaporative charcoal cannister bleeds some of the pressure out of the tank.

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Alright, thanks Frank. I'll try that out on the next fillup.

18. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

Finally see the bladder stretching!

Back in December I ran dry and car only took 11.5 gallons.

Today I filled up with 11.7 gallons, and I was only like 12 miles into the blinking, so if I had gone empty I'm sure I would have been over 11.9.

And I wasn't able to fill full. Pump just shut off so quick I gave up. But I was still able to get more in. Gave up when it got to be under 0.05 per click.

Generally I expect at flashing I have about 1 gallon left. I will have to get my can in the car and test this again.

19. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

I don't have any of these problems, but perhaps my '02 does not have the bladder -- don't know. I typically put gas in it when it gets to two bars, my wife gets hyper about running out of gas. They just stick the pump in the tank and set it to auto fill at the maximum rate (here in NJ no self-service). When it clicks I just have them fill it to the next even dollar. The amount it takes is normally very close to what I calculate from the MFD by taking the miles driven divided by the MPG it shows. I keep a log of actual miles and gallons and have been very happy. I just drive it and fill it and don't worry about getting lots of miles per tank. 400 to 500 miles per fill is fine by me.

20. Frank Hudon

all north American Prius have the bladder. 2k1 to date.