1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

In Watermelon Sugar

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Mar 6, 2019.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A wonderful book by my favorite author, the late Richard Brautigan, I came across this tale of a failed cook: I spent three days making the smoked watermelon ham – but at what cost? | Food | The Guardian

. . .
    In the end the watermelon tastes, in the words of my colleagues, like “an evil Christmas”, “an old packet of cigarettes” or simply “regret”. It is the exact temperature of a human body that isn’t doing so well. Someone likens it to warm sashimi, or a piece of fruit that has been left in the sun all day. It is a hot, wet mess.

The most positive reaction is that it is like babaganoush, but with a watermelon aftertaste. I thought it wasn’t that bad. It was not nice, but it was bearable.

But watermelon – normally – is one of my favourite fruits, and with time I came to hate what I had created. This had nothing of its crispness, sweetness or subtlety. Smoked and tepid, I had created the anti-melon.
    . . .

I don't need a vegetable fashioned to taste like meat.

Bob Wilson

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  3. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Love Brautigan's writings.
    "Revenge of the Lawn"

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we were introduced to a wonderful tomato and watermelon salad at the local pig barbecue. very tasty, never would have thought of it.

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Meat tastes of umami and fat. From long training, human taste sensors recognize protein and dense calories, and here they are. If one is off hunting/gathering and have just this for some days, it will do.

I suspect all pleasing texture connotations of meat are associative, not fundamental. But I've been wrong before :whistle:

Umami is also accessible in veganesque ways. Just increase surface area of soybeans and admit long-known bacteria. It is not a pure province of things with legs or fins. 'Bacon' from eggplant and soya can be very good, I read. My one attempt lacked something. Nitrites? In any case, just cooking bacon itself is a surer success, and drained fat should surely find its way into a biscuit later.

Pigs, with perhaps substantial intellects, have made big mistakes. Deliciousness. Amenable to close quartering wherein they don't eat less, but lay on more fat. Taboos by two great world religions have not dulled the market. Would be pure speculation that they planned this, choosing brief happy lives for so many more of their gang. Last day is a pisser (having seen them go down). Being reservoirs for human diseases is a modern twist. Did I mention delicious?

==
    Cannot imagine throwing energy at removing water from (95% water) watermelons. They are good at what they do, just as one would expect from fruits offering cheap rewards to seed-dispersing animals. Humans play that game but in a unique way. First time I saw inside a seedless watermelon hybrid I roared "this is a sin against nature!"

But that's just me.

Instead, go to a watermelon patch (a righteous one with seeds) near harvest time and eat of it at high ambient temperature. There find great joy and perhaps insight into how rodents and birds are part of 'the deal'.

==
    How very few plants and animals have joined human enterprise seems fascinating. Poorly crafted efforts may get more attention than they deserve.

6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Also if you've never had good babaganoush, please make an effort.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    why does bacon smell so good, and the memories invoked

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  9. ETC(SS)