1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Incognito EVs

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by rjparker, Jun 4, 2024.

1. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One of the two L2 J1772 pairs at my local ski hill has a combined rating, 7 kW total. But when sharing between two cars, each is limited to just 3.5 kW, such that if one is tapering down, the other can't get the extra. I noticed this when I had mine initially set wrong, to pull only 8 amps, or 1.9 kW. The other car was still allowed only 3.5 kW, not 5.1 kW. I quickly reset mine to Max rate, to allow it to take its full 3.5 kW share, but late in a full charge cycle, it will taper to a much slower rate.

In these shared-limit split systems, allowing the other car to get more than half when the first is under half, will help with overall station throughput and allow many cars to get back on the road sooner.

2. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Where I do cross country skiing, they have two Level 2 and fortunately, they don't split the load. Doesn't matter for when I use the Prime since it can't go above 3.3 KW but the Model 3 uses the full 7 KW.

At home, I have two Telsa Wall chargers sharing the same 40A breaker. When both the Prime and the Model 3 are charging, they are both allocated 16A each and once the Prime has finished and still plugged, the Model 3 goes up to 26A and for some reason, 6A is reserved for the Prius but it's wasted since it's not being used.

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Stevens Pass, where I alpine ski locally, has four L2 cords. Two share a 7 kW limit, or 3.5 kW each if both are plugged in, while the other two have an un-shared 7 kW limit each. I have used every cord at one time or another, whatever was open.

I'm guessing that the sharing pair is the same set that used to be mounted on a loading dock very close to the main lodges. When they opened a new parking lot and moved the EV stations over there, they added two more, likely the non-shared set.

Their Nordic Center, a few miles east, has none.

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For $50,000 it ought to be.
    I'm sorta surprised that the teen drivers over at C&D gave it a such a middling review. I will admit that it's the most adult looking car in the group, but I'm thinking 'mid sized sedan' when I look at one instead of "Electric SUV."
    Size insecurity is also common with wireless vehicles.
    My similarly sized 2020 Terrain is officially a "compact SUV" - which seems somewhat closer to accurate.

https://www.caranddriver.com/rankings/best-electric-suvs

The real surprise is that there are enough BEV "SUVs" out there for there to BE a top TWENTY, and yet they seem to be doing their thing without much in the way of notice from the 'every driver.'
    A testament to BEV market penetration despite a questionable economy, and the overly complicated and still unreliable charging infrastructure.
    With a sub-300 mile tank range and very limited number of 'gas stations' she has a right to be worried - especially until she gets to know her new vehicle well enough to see how speed (it IS Texas!) temps, and local traffic (jams) impacts her EPA guesstimated fuel ranges.

I can get AAA (I've been a member for over 30 years) to bring me a gallon of gas were I ever foolish enough to run out - unlikely because I always test my car's DTE estimates all the way down to zero several times during the first few weeks of ownership.
    I'm sure that they 'have a plan' to bring new BEV owners a gallon of amperes if they suck their tanks dry - but I want that plan to be more thoroughly tested before I walk away from 50-large for one.