1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Incompatible J1772 plug

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Aug 31, 2022.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I ordered a 40A J1772 extension cord only to find the plug now has a hood over the latch:
    upload_2022-8-31_3-29-5.png
    The extension cord was to repair a J1772 plug with a broken latch at a Whole Foods Chargepoint EVSE. But the non-standard hood prevents the J1772 plug from inserting into the Chargepoint socket.

I had considered removing the hood so it might insert. But I might then discover the dimensions of the latch have also been changed so it won't fit existing J1772 sockets.

Bought on eBay, I sent a message documenting the problem to the seller and is too soon for a reply. Regardless, this could cause a lot of problems for buyers of 3d party EVSE or J1772 repair kits.

As a Tesla owner, our J1772-to-Tesla adapter works just fine. But the owners of existing, non-Tesla EVs are likely to find the hood and possibly the latch, incompatible with their cars.

Bob Wilson

ps. My fix for the broken latch is to use a J1772 extension cord, tie-wrapped connected to the broken latch, J1772. The extra 20 ft would open up more EV charging spots as well as reach badly placed J1772 sockets on any EV.

I have replaced a broken J1772 plug in the past but it requires a heavy-duty compression tool for the AC power pins. Worse, the cost of the replacement plug was greater, $200, than the cost of this cheaper extension cord, $109.

pps. I got a reply:

Hello there

Thanks for your message and sorry for the inconvenience that cause to you,we don't have extension cords without the latch hood for sale.But in our experience, this J1772 plug has been adapted to 90% of American and Japanese EV,may I have your car information,brands and models?

And sure you can return it to our returned item warehouse and get the refund :

#1 bwilson4web, Aug 31, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
  2. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Did you try calling ChargePoint with the station information?

3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yes but it turns out they only work with the property owner. Some have a maintenance contact and others handle broken equipment on a case-by-case basis.

I spoke with the Whole Foods manager and his electrician was unable to handle it and no help from Amazon corporate. It was going to stay broke.

So I did some creative ‘vandalism’ that leaves it more operational. I also tie-wrapped the second unit cable-plug to the second retraction cable.

Call it anti-destructive vandalism.

Bob Wilson

jzchen likes this.
  4. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My wife and I were on our way home from an open casket viewing memorial service (yesterday) in San Diego and I stopped by a known charger off the freeway. Also ChargePoint and also broken. This was broken even closer to the “release button” on that lever arm that includes (the non existent) hook. The last one I could press down on the other side of the fulcrum to get charging started this one didn’t have anything left on that side. The button area was hollow on the sides allowing me to lift up and start charging.

The tethers on both were also detached/broken. Now you’ve given me the good idea to try and retie it next time. (Time to practice knot tying).

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Slip knot would work. There is a lot of tension in that wire.

I carry tie wraps in the car.

Bob Wilson

jzchen likes this.
  6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Our aerovironment J plug evse that was actually installed by aerovironment (very 1st one in Orange county late 2010 - months before our ev arrived) was only 12 ft long. Years later (before switching to the nearly 20kW tesla HPWC) the aftermarket longer cables got so popular that competition made them less expensive. Swapped it out myself. Eventually sold the AV evse to a co-worker. But I still have the original 12 ft cable & head J plug, collecting dust in the garage somewhere if anybody wants to foot the bill for shipping.

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Never took notice - but after checking our 3 J plugs, I see the Chrysler OEM version has the same configuration. Wonder how many other OEM's are that way.