1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Increased road noise since actuator/CM/drive belt repair

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by chesapeake, Jul 22, 2018.

1. chesapeake

chesapeake New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had to get the brake actuator, combination meter, and drive belt replaced on my 2005 Prius. The brake warning lights (ABS, VSC, brake, and red triangle lights) all came on during a road trip, and I'd been dealing with worsening combination meter issues for weeks/months, so I took it in for both repairs at once right after the road trip. After I got the car back, I was on a hands-free phone call with my mom (using speakerphone), and she couldn't hear me over the road noise, even though I was driving roads I've driven while talking hands-free before. Then I took another road trip this weekend, and the road noise was absolutely atrocious on the interstate - my friend and I could barely hear each other when sitting next to each other, and I honestly wanted to put earplugs in, it was so bad. This friend was on the road trip just prior to the repair, and he agreed that the road noise was much worse than before the repair.

(Caveat: the two trips were on different roads, and the loudest noise was on a rougher section of I-85 or I-65 in Alabama, but the noise sounded worse even on smooth roads, and along sections of I-20 and I-285 near Atlanta, which I travel more frequently.)

Is there anything that might have been (re)installed incorrectly during the repair that could have caused the increased road noise?

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you checked the tire pressure lately?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Road noise is typically the sound of the tires rotating against the pavement, and would be caused by aggressive tire tread. The items that you listed above have nothing to do with road noise.

If you said:
    1) that you heard a squealing serpentine drive belt, then obviously the belt was not installed with adequate tension.
    2) that the brake actuator pump was running excessively, then I would question whether the actuator was working properly.
    3) that you were hearing wheel bearing noise, then it would be likely that one or more wheel bearings had failed.

4. chesapeake

chesapeake New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just replaced the tires in March. I haven't checked the pressure since I got back from the road trip. I'll do that now. Thanks for the suggestion.

SFO likes this.
  5. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Having had a gen 2 and 3 needing wheel bearings, the noise is awful, I vote for number 3.

Chessmaster likes this.
  6. chesapeake

chesapeake New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My tire pressure is fine. I rode with one of the mechanics for a bit so they could help me figure it out. Apparently one of the shocks might be going (which is why it's worse on rough pavement), but it's got some time left as long as I'm careful when I'm driving.

I guess I got too used to my friend's car's quieter ride while mine was being repaired, and then the roads on this trip were just ridiculously rough (and thus noisier), so it was a bigger difference.