1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Independent Prius Mechanic in Orange County

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Kundanp333, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Kundanp333

Kundanp333 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice, I was planning to do that. It's nice how that works out in this car. Traditionally, while changing the transmission and differential fluid in my honda s2000, I have always resorted to using the pump. It's annoying but thankfully the s2000 doesn't require 4 quarts. Thanks for the tip.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd supplement raising the rear with a pair of safety stands at the two rear scissor jack locations, settle the car down onto them. I appreciate the front's on ramps, but...

3. Kundanp333

Kundanp333 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tustin Toyota was good to me for the coolant flush for both engine and inverter. I provided coolant and the labor was $209 for both. They did report that my water pump needs to be replaced as it was leaking. I did not notice any drop in the coolant level but I will keep checking. I will post a picture provided by them showing the leak. I could use some advice. I would have consider a replacement but their quote for the water pump replacement was $800+.

4. Kundanp333

Kundanp333 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here are the pictures. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Files:

5. Shane Burns

Shane Burns Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you tried going to Hybrid 911 shop? I recently checked their Yelp and most of them have excellent reviews.. Couldn't hurt to go there and ask for quote :)

Kundanp333 likes this.
  6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That pump is in bad shape and definitely needs to be replaced at your earliest convenience.

7. Kundanp333

Kundanp333 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Disappointed to hear this. Especially right after doing the coolant swap. I guess i will have to get some more coolant too. I will have to get some quotes to get that replaced. 880 is too much imo.

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes - well you live in a relatively high-cost area. I think that $350 would be a "fair" price but good luck getting a quote of that magnitude. Maybe the savings will encourage you to DIY, the pump itself only costs around $65 while two gallons of SLLC will cost ~$50.

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That dealer that quoted $800 for the pump is crazy. You should ask them what is the book time on this job x their hourly labor rate. To make matters worse, they know the coolant would need to be changed when doing the pump, they should have notified you before doing the coolant change.....so you can say "ok hold off on the coolant change", you don't want to do it twice and waste the coolant.

If you try and DIY this pump change, it would be very easy and take about an hour tops. Change the belt while you're at it! Also don't drain the fluid, just change out the pump and top off whatever fluid that came out of it. It shouldn't be that much.

10. Kundanp333

Kundanp333 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They did inform me before doing the coolant job. I thought it was an up sell and asked for the pictures. Also, the fact that they quoted 800+ did not help. I ended up rejecting it and went ahead with the coolant job for both inverter and engine.

With that said, I will be doing it myself. It seems pretty easy. Never thought a water pump job would be this easy. I will get a gallon of coolant to add any coolant I lose during the process. I will also do the belt at that time.

My blower motor is squealing so I will do that as well. I can do the spark plugs next.

I just read an article regarding the Prius brake fluid flush as I was concerned it hadn't been flushed and was happy to know that the fluid is probably still fresh. You learn something new every day.