1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Independent Shops cheaper than dealer? Really? IDK

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stevewoods, May 18, 2023.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I keep reading threads where folks are encouraged to take their rig to an indie mechanic versus a Satanic Mechanic -- ie -- dealer.

Reason is lower prices. Really?

Maybe it is just me, but in my experience, shops in the USA Pacific Northwest are charging the same hourly rate as the dealers. I guess you may save some change as the independent shops are more likely to use after-market parts, but a lot of times I would rather have the original part from Toyota (or Ford, or Subaru, etal). And I make it known when I want a genuine Toyota part.

For example, decades ago, I went round and round with an indie shop about rebuilt starters. They put them in and they failed in a few days. Finally told them to use a Toyota rebuilt and no issues.

What I do get about independent shops is that:

1) If you have a gripe, you are talking to the owner, not a fourth level down "service advisor" who never really saw your car and whose mechanical knowledge may or may not be....well...

2) I have been told so many fairy tales and untruths by dealers vs. none at indie shops -- guess I am lucky, but I check out indie shops pretty thoroughly before I give them any business. Example: Last fall, took my rig in for differential fluid swap to the Subaru dealer. They did their usual multi-point inspection and told me my brakes were critical -- worn to the danger zone. I had just checked them the week before and they were a solid 60/40 on wear. Looked at them Sunday and they still appear to be 60-ish/30.

And, darn, guess I am getting old, but I just found that I posted a nearly identical rant three years ago....I would nuke this if I could, but...

Anyway: prior rant: Independent Garage vs Dealership | PriusChat

bisco likes this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think the challenge you might be running into is that the less honest Indie shops often charge based on their interactions with the customer and you clearly have demonstrated your intelligence in this forum over the years, but sometimes the way you go about asking a question, as well as your choice of a profile photo, it doesn't come across intelligent at first and for that reason maybe that's why these Indie shops think they can take advantage of you?

3. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I do not think any indie shop has tried to take advantage -- dealers yes.

I can only think of a few times in some 45 years that I did not know the problem before bringing the rig in for repairs. Part of the advantage of being "forced" to work at my uncle's garage in the 1970s each summer as a teen. Of course, I was paid, but would have rather spent the summers at the beach, chasing waves and girls. Maybe it was because I pretty much stuck to Toyotas -- a few Fords -- one Opal -- and now a Subaru, but my cars have been pretty darn trouble-free -- esp. the Prius.

And the dunce photo -- that comes from many years ago when I asked a question on this forum that had already been asked/answered.

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    My two favorite local shops post their labor rates on placards on the walls, one is $95 and the other is $105.

Nearby Toyota dealer is $180.

They all use the same lookup table to calculate the actual time component for the given job.

That's the benefit I'm seeing in Smalltown Pennsyltucky anyhow.

EDIT: adding:

I wouldn't be surprised to see any shop raising their rates right now, simply because every auto shop I know is heavily booked and trying to hire more mechanics.

Everyone is hanging onto their older cars longer, so there is a big uptick in demand for repairers.

With a bit more economic trauma I suppose the motorcycle rennaissance will be next.

#4 Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, May 18, 2023
    Last edited: May 18, 2023
    PriusCamper likes this.
  5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Dealer head gasket, 4000.
    Independent head gasket 2000.

Dealer engine rebuild 7500.
    Independent engine rebuild 3500.

It does require the right shop and a good relationship. Which is why I often say give the independent the easy jobs so you're ready for the hard jobs.

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How many new cars are offered for sale on site by YOUR independent mechanic and who signs their paychecks?