1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Individual wrongs v. common rights

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Bill Merchant, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Jul 31 2007, 10:25 PM) [snapback]488446[/snapback]</div>
    Bill,

Did I miss something or misunderstand the question posed by your thread's title "Individual wrongs v. common rights, Why do people still hijack PC threads?" But it seems like out of the almost 80 posts on this thread, only 2 or 3 are on topic.

2. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Aug 6 2007, 08:06 PM) [snapback]491665[/snapback]</div>
    Of course not everyone in Canada would agree with me and certainly lots of people in the US would, so be careful there. And I have tons of freedom in Canada, lots of personal choice. Any more and I wouldn't know what to do with myself.

Also, there are many things I certainly wouldn't want the government to have a decision on. For example, I wouldn't want them telling me a necessary medical procedures is not going to be funded because of a pre-existing condition. Or telling me what doctor I have to visit. Or how many times I can go to see my doctor, or that I don't qualify for health coverage.... ;)

Good thing my government doesn't do these things. In fact I think it's great that they make sure I never have such problems.

Well if you think we have a crummy system, then what the hell do you call that complete rip-off that you've got.

Let's all see the movie, Sicko, and then get back together for a chat, shall we... I hear it's good.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boo @ Aug 6 2007, 08:10 PM) [snapback]491666[/snapback]</div>
    Why can't a conversation be allowed to evolve? Besides, changing topics is an expression of our personal freedom of choice!! :D

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fibb222 @ Aug 6 2007, 07:48 PM) [snapback]491658[/snapback]</div>
    My feelings would likely be a bit different if I had access to a "strong, wise government!"

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Aug 6 2007, 08:06 PM) [snapback]491665[/snapback]</div>
    I agree.

Actually, I think that demand should come from the consumer as well - and from a level playing field. But as long as we subsidize gasoline (using the military to defend our rights, giving tax breaks for oil exploration, etc) how can we have a fair contest? Interestingly enough, even with the deck stacked against alternatives, the demand IS there, and is growing exponentially today. The dam is about to burst with the fist plug-in hybrids now being promised by everybody. Yes, it is happening - just way the hell too slowly to avoid the disaster that I feel coming.

4. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Jul 31 2007, 07:25 PM) [snapback]488446[/snapback]</div>
    Bill -

First off, this is really confusing to change the opening post. Now we have NO chance to stick to the topic, as we don't really know what it might have been - except from the title. Removing the link was an odd move, as I quoted from that link, and now nobody can go check the context.

I'd also like to mention that when somebody starts a thread, and they wish it to stay on course, they have a small obligation to keep tabs on it, and participate - to steer it in the correct direction. When a post is made and the OP seemingly just leaves the discussion as you have done, then the thread will certainly take on a life of its own. You've been watching, but not participating? To what purpose?

And finally... I'm not really sure if any of the fingers are being pointed at me, though I wouldn't be surprised. My discussions have had the individual vs common rights as a background theme. The tragedy of the commons is central to this theme, and it has been a part of this thread as well. So while there have been some spur comments, and no thread wrangling by the OP, the thread stayed surprisingly on topic. I'm not really sure what you were expecting. Maybe instead participating in the thread-jacking by editing your opening post - you could join back into the thread and let us know where you'd like this discussion to go. Maybe even be a part of the discussion.

5. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Aug 7 2007, 12:21 AM)</div>
    Oh, I agree. The evolution of this thread is itself an illustrative answer to the initially posed question. And it's a good faith one as well ... the thread has evolved, but so far not to the point where it's become a useless, completely off-topic argument among 2 or 3 "hijackers".

6. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't see what the problem is. Threads evolve and change as the conversation progresses. Thread hijacking is the act of trying to steer a web forum discussion thread off topic by discussing a subject entirely unrelated to the subject at hand. That clearly wasn't the case here.

7. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Aug 7 2007, 01:04 PM) [snapback]491887[/snapback]</div>
    I know and don't disagree. But I thought that was what I said.

8. TLS

TLS New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Aug 3 2007, 09:19 PM) [snapback]490359[/snapback]</div>
    All the while most vehicles getting larger, heavier, more powerful, and packing in more features. The CAFE for passenger cars is at 34 mpg for Toyota.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Aug 3 2007, 09:19 PM) [snapback]490359[/snapback]</div>
    Regardless, they will not be given up for econo-boxes.

9. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    [Random response]
    I have a problem with the whole concept of "I can drive an SUV if I want to, that's my personal choice"...
    Actually, the responsibility is on the auto manufacturers. They are the ones that developed, built, and marketed utility vehicles far beyond their utilitarian beginnings, and into the suburban market. They are the ones that totally ignore the need to increase fuel efficiency, reduce pollutants, and lessen the impact of autos on the environment.
    We have the choice, nay, the divine obligation, to not be caught up in their deceptive marketing schemes.
    A Hummer will not make your penis bigger.
    An Explorer will not make you a world traveler.
    A Yukon will not give you the experience of the great outdoors.
    That humungous Chrysler thing won't make you look sexier.

What do you really need your vehicle to do for you? If you need to haul 12 bales of hay, 10 sacks of feed, and some salt blocks, get a truck. If you need to drive to work, get a Prius. :D
    [/random response]