1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Industrial hydrogen

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Nov 21, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Green Car Congress: UC Santa Barbara team develops catalytic molten metals for direct conversion of methane to hydrogen without forming CO2

In their study, the UCSB researchers prepared liquid alloys of active metals in low–melting-temperature metal “solvents” (Sn, Pb, Bi, In, and Ga) using known equilibrium phase behavior to produce catalysts that melt at <1000°C. The melts are used in molten-metal bubble columns, where carbon continuously floats to the surface where it can be removed.

The carbon produced—mostly graphite—accumulated as a fine powder at the top surface of the melt.

In addition to the problems of high-pressure hydrogen, a hard problem, steam reformulation of methane generates CO{2} and consumes water. This process eliminates the water and generates carbon in a form that can easily be sequestered.

Bob Wilson

telmo744 likes this.
  2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I am not selling my stock in Air Products and other H2 plant design firms (OK I got no stock, but if I did, I am holding). The reason is improving on the current process is much easier said than done.

RCO likes this.
  3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Agreed as there is a significant gap and some delay between lab and production. But skimming off the carbon instead of generating CO{2} is a big step forward. We still need to understand if this is endothermic which means some energy must be added. But still the feedstock and products are much better. Heck, the skimmed carbon can probably be sent to the battery factory to make electrodes.

Bob Wilson

RCO likes this.
  4. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting read. I went to the source to learn more.
    Bridging the Gap | The UCSB Current
    This may make us redefine efficiency. Traditional measure of efficiency, we measure power out versus potential chemical power in. Here we get a redefinition - chemical power input does not include the potential to oxidize the carbon. For the same amount of electrical power, we need twice the methane, but don't have the byproduct of carbon dioxide. How much is that worth? It takes about $0.02 of methane to make 1 kwh of electricity at the plug from a modern combined cycle power plant (normally these things are quite large - 500 MW capacity, but very efficient). It probably takes around $0.04 of methane to make 1 kwh of electricity in a ocgt peaking plant. Perhaps for $0.05 of methane small scale generators using this process and solid oxide fuel cells to produce power. That is a premium of only $0.03/kwh for very low ghg. Carbon capture that captures less of the carbon of a coal plant costs about $0.05/kwh, which makes this technology less expensive if you have inexpensive natural gas, like the US does today, or inexpensive bio methane or methanol.

For fcv though, this is not a miracle that solves any problems. Let's say it takes $1.60 worth of methane under this method to make a kg of h2 instead of $0.80 under SMR.

https://www.hydrogen.energy.gov/pdfs/htac_oct13_10_bonner.pdf
    Perhaps you can make it on site at the station and save, but production costs will be much higher than central SMR ($0.68) and you still have the station equipment and operations for 10,000 psi hydrogen ($4.30). That puts us at, at least $6.50/kg for fuel. This is a very optimistic scenario. In california cost of current tech is $18/kg and they are hoping that stations they build in 5 years get this down to $9/kg. A prius prime gets 54 mpg on gasoline, and 133 mpge on electricity. A clarity (most efficient fuel cell) gets 67 mpge. A clarity phev gets 110 mpge and 42 mpg when battery is low. A tesla model 3 gets 126 mpge. Lets say that green electricity is $0.15/kwh ($5.055/gge (its much less here in texas)), a miracle happens and you get green hydrogen for that $6.50/kg, gasoline goes up to $4/gallon and the prime does half on gasoline, the clarity 75%. Over 100,000 miles that fuel cell vehicle will use $9,701 worth of fuel, the mirai $5,604, the clarity phev $5828, and the bev model 3 - $4,012. The phev prime the least expensive car to buy, but this may change versus a long range bev. I don't see how a fuel cell car can compete even if all the hydrogen is subsidized without huge government support. It may see that government support in japan, but they don't use much natural gas, so this process won't help there.

Air Products valuation really doesn't believe they will make money from 10,000 psi car fueling ;-)

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Good stuff until it kinda wandered:
    Let's do some basics?
    Ni-Bi catalyst steam methane + gas-shift comment
    1 CH{4} -> C + 2H{2} CH{4} + H{2}O -> CO + 3H{2} Primary reaction
    2 CO + H{2}O -> CO{2} + H{2} gas-shift secondary
    3 CH{4} CH{4} + 2H{2}O input mix
    4 ?? 206 jK/mol -41 kJ/moi energy needed
    5 2H{2} 4H{2} the steam methane produces twice as much hydrogen by reducing the water
    6 C CO{2} other products

• we don't know if the Ni-Bi reaction is exothermic or endothermic
    • steam methane and gas-shift use two mol of water to double hydrogen output
    • carbon has industrial uses including battery electrodes
      • if the carbon can deposit as nano tubes, a valuable feedstock for structural materials
    • CO{2} has little market value
    So I agree with using water and methane generates twice as much hydrogen but the CO{2} by-product remains a problem. Now IF the carbon can deposit or grow nano tubes, it becomes a very valuable structural material. It would be interesting to find out if seed diamonds could grow larger if in the catalytic, melted metal bath. But these are things I would look at if I was in that lab. Of course common impurities in the methane like sulfur and silicon products need to be looked at to understand if they deactivate the catalyst.

Now @austingreen was making an economic analysis. Please understand I'm not challenging his analysis as much as a little confused. Let me suggest the table might be a good place to do the economic analysis. Just we still don't know if the Ni-Bi reaction needs or releases heat which has an economic cost. Not trying to be difficult, just a little confused about the accounting.

Bob Wilson

#5 bwilson4web, Nov 27, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    certainly no shame in this bit of confusion, because until the lab's experimental costs are revealed, there's no way to tell how expensive or green it might be - should all of it (theoretically) go into production.
    For instance, the hydrogen industry likes to say how green hydrogen production 'can-be' , when the energy comes from wind or PV, yet the process is way less efficient than storing the green power in a battery, rather than a high pressure/10K PSI tank .
    Oh - then there's the ever falling prices of batteries that keep making hydrogen further uneconomical. imo the equation is to amorphic to say what's going to be best sometime down the road. Even so, it looks a whole lot more promising than that BS commercial Toyota did, literally, using BS as hydrogen fuel stock.

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This is good stuff:
    I'm a fan of Fully Charged and sometimes Robert reports on something 'barking mad':

Skip to 9:27 where they show getting 75kW of power (i.e., ~100 hp) by transporting high-pressure cylinders of wind powered, electrolysis, hydrogen to a dock. Hydrogen cylinders transported to the dock on a diesel powered ferry. My mind's eye sees a trailer of Tesla (or other equivalent) Powerwall units.

Bob Wilson

JamesBurke and austingreen like this.
  8. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a lot of quality carbon, 3 to1 by mass to hydrogen. Could be good for the expansion of use of carbon fiber composites. No mining or smelting pollution as with metals. What's the impact of epoxy or polyester resin manufacture? Taken a liking to these lately. Aviation as unique as you are :: Diamond Aircraft Industries

9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually there are uses for H2 plant CO2 it is very pure so food grade I am thinking. Drink more Coke...problem solved.

Trollbait likes this.
  10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Just don't burp after you chug it

fuzzy1 and wjtracy like this.
  11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Opps, posted too soon about CO{2} products:
    [​IMG]
    Fire Marshal Bill (Jim Carey, USA comedian)

Bob Wilson

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just what we need -- a ton of Coke per person per day.

13. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Coke (fuel), a solid carbonaceous residue derived from destructive distillation of coal - Wikipedia

JeffD

telmo744 likes this.
  14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is coke, not Coke. But it still leads to the same atmospheric problem. Better to sequester it as a building material.

15. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    -----snip-----------
    We don't need to go through each step of the process, all we need to know is feedstock and energy in, and fuel out. SMR using pressure shift at a big plant can be 80% efficient. For SMR 4H2 require 29% more energy than the CH4 and 2H2O provide even after oxidizing the carbon. This is often heat and electricity supplied by more methane. 4 CH4 + 2H2O(l) + O2 -> 4CO2 + 10H2 + wasted heat. Of course this heat and electricity could be supplied by something else, like waste heat from refining oil, or electricity generation, or fetilizer manufacture. For cracking CH4 to C + 2H2 also requires heat and electricity. If we can't use the carbon, and use the hydrogen for heat and electricity, we probably will get something like 2CH4 +02 -> 2C + 2H2 + 2H2O. Now if this hydrogen production is at 10,000 psi fueling stations, there probably is nothing else to supply the waste heat. In industrial production or a power plant it becomes much more economically feasible.

Let's say you can get 60% efficiency on H2 in a solid oxide fuel cell, and use the waste heat to crack the natural gas. 2H2 has 66% of the energy of CH4, multiplied by the efficiency we get around 40% about the same as the old steam natural gas plants in california, and it would use about 1.5 times the natural gas as a brand new ccgt power plant, but be accessible for small distributed generation. Given the high cost of electricity in california, I could see a lot of high tech companies simply adding this kind of generation. Now for transportation fuel, you do the calculations, it simply doesn't work well.

bwilson4web and telmo744 like this.
  16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I was trying to figure out how much energy was needed or released for direct conversion of methane to carbon and hydrogen. Please double check my math.

Source: Heat of combustion - Wikipedia
    • CH{4} - 50.00 MJ/kg (LHV) - 12 + 4 = 16 atomic weight
    • H - 119.96 MJ/kg (LHV) - 1 = atomic weight
    • C - 32.8 MJ/kg (HHV=LHV) - 12 = atomic weight
    I'm using LHV because direct conversion of methane to hydrogen and carbon does not generate water vapor whose condensation results in the higher HHV value.

So one kg of CH{4} -> 12/16 kg C + 4/16 kg H
    • 24.6 MJ/kg of C in CH{4} - 32.8 * (12/16)
    • 30.0 MJ/kg of H in CH{4} - 119.96 * (4/16)
    • 49.2 Mj/kg of CH{4} - sum of above
    This suggests 50.0 - 49.2 = 0.8 MJ/kg released by direct conversion of methane to hydrogen and carbon, an exothermic reaction. In contrast SMR is endothermic, requires heat, whose generation is as @austingreen points out would require additional methane combustion.

Once we account for the higher energy needed for SMR, direct conversion economics begins to look more attractive with the advantage of carbon products or carbon sequestration much easier. As for the downstream fuel cell processing, the efficiency numbers look grim.

Bob Wilson

telmo744 likes this.
  17. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm guessing we are going down in the weeds here. Looking up a handy dandy table or a link like this

Bond Lengths and Energies

We find that to break apart the bonds of methane takes 1662 KJ/mole
    Cracking will reunite 2 hydrogen bonds or 2 x 436 kj/mole = 872 kj/mole
    If the carbon were to remain free it would take 1662 -872 = 790 kj/mole for the reaction. That is almost half the energy, but that carbon will form something on top of the catalyst in the process. I'm guessing graphite which has 3 single bonds for each carbon molecule, or 3/2 of a C-C bond or 522 kj/mole of methane. That makes things a little better. Now the process requires 790 - 522 = 268 Kj/mole of methane to crack into H2 and graphite, or 134 KJ/mole of H2 produced. If the carbon product is something different we get a different answer.

My guess is the process is only about 80% efficient. The graphite and H2 are much hotter than the methane then when they went into the process, and some of that heat may be recovered, but some will be wasted. Electricity is needed to skim off the graphite, and to separate the H2S from the natural gas before the process, and separate the H2 after the process.

telmo744 likes this.
  18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Close enough since the original notice did not give the energy balance from the reaction.

When I get back to the house, I’ll send a email asking.

Bob Wilson

19. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I was hoping that this thread was going to be about something like that; a way to potentially use a liquid hydrogen source in the car.

The key part of the carbon fiber composites is the fiber. This carbon will be a powder that can't be effectively converted into a fiber. Most carbon fibers are made from plastic strands that are heating until they carbonize. 'Green' carbon fiber starts with Rayon instead.

There are uses for this carbon fiber though. If this works out, and hydrogen cars catch on, we'll likely end up with an over supply of it in time. It's an issue that biodiesel faces with glycerol, and Greek yogurt with acid whey.

Now, if the molten alloy could be tweaked to produce carbon nanotubes, those could be spun into a yarn for use in carbon fiber applications. It would also be awesome.
    We could also store it until renewable electricity production peaks during the day, and then reverse the process to make pure methane, or go a step further for a light, sweet, synthetic petroleum. Maybe use it to feed cyanbacteria that produce hydrogen.

20. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In another forum, someone posted a link to a Dept. of Energy PowerPoint:
    https://energy.gov/sites/prod/files...w-dla-worldwide-energy-conf-2017-satyapal.pdf

I don't follow the latest fuel cell technology but at the end was description of a home hydrogen station described here: IVYS Simple Fuel Station Offers Homemade Hydrogen For $250,000

If you want to set up your own hydrogen refueling station, just talk to IVYS. The Massachusetts-based company is promoting its Simple Fuel station as an easy, relatively affordable (if you’re a fleet operator, any way) box that can pump compressed hydrogen fuel into your vehicle while only needing a power source, a water inlet, and a vent mast exhaust pipe. If you’ve got those things – and the $250,000-$300,000 that a Simple Fuel station costs, depending on options – you’re good to go.
    . . .
    To figure out how much time it takes to produce a kg of hydrogen, you can just do simple math. So, for the machine that makes 10 kilograms of hydrogen a day (all of these numbers will be based on the top-of-the-line, 700-bar, 10-kg unit, the SF-70-10), it takes 2.4 hours to make one kilogram of H2. That kilogram requires a total of 68.4 kWh of electricity to make. About 55 kWh are needed to electrolyze the water, and the rest is used for compression and operating features. Lastly, a kilogram of hydrogen needs just under a gallon of water (3.8 gallons, or 14.4 liters). And that’s RO standard (reverse osmosis) water in this case.

Now we have some numbers:
    • 68.4 kWh / kg :: hydrogen generation electrical cost
    • 274 mi ~= 68.4 kWh / 25 kWh/100 mi :: Prius Prime EV miles for 1 kg H{2}
    • 236 mi ~= 68.4 kWh / 29 kWh/100 mi :: BMW i3-REx, EV miles for 1 kg H{2}
    Mirai specs:
    Hydrogen Fuel Cell Car | Toyota Mirai
    2016 Mirai Product Information
    • 62 mi / kg ~= 312 mi / 5 kg :: Mirai fuel tank capacity and EPA range
    • 62 mi ~= (62 mi / kg) * 1 kg :: Mirai miles on 68.4 kWh
    It looks like this home electrolysis generation, compression of hydrogen, and use in a Mirai is ~4 times less efficient than using the same 68.4 kWh to charge batteries in a BMW i3-REx or Prius Prime.

As another check: Fill 'er Up: Refueling the 2016 Toyota Mirai | News | Cars.com

. . .
    Hydrogen gas is sold by the kilogram instead of the gallon and at the station we used to fill the Mirai in La Canada, Calif., it was $16.63 per kilogram. The Mirai was three-quarters empty at that point and the tanks hold around 5 kilograms of hydrogen, so it took 3.81 kilograms to fill back it up at a cost of $63.51. The trip meter read 195.3 miles at that point. That put the cost per mile at around $0.33. This is still much higher than the cost of fuel for a gasoline vehicle; the EPA estimates the cost per mile of a 2016 Prius to be $0.04 per mile.
    . . .

Bob Wilson

telmo744 likes this.