1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inexpensive Audio Solution

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by ScottChi, Sep 14, 2015.

1. ScottChi

ScottChi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hi Folks,

I am still enjoying my Gen 1, and plan to keep it going as long as it's cost effective. It helps that mine is garage kept and fairly low mileage. I have worked primarily from home since I bought mine in 2002.

However, there have been recent failures including the EOM in-dash 6 CD changer. And my factory equipped GPS receiver went casters-up last week. Its DVD player stopped working, won't even eject :-P

However, a bit of good news. I take the car for long trips occasionally, and having only the radio to listen to wasn't cutting it.

I looked into replacing my CD changer with a single-din head unit, as is discussed in this thread: Radio Auxiliary Install? | PriusChat (and others). On the other hand that is a lot of work, and then you wind up with a redundant radio player that does not use the car's multi-purpose display.

After a bit more looking around online, I came across an alternative solution that is working a whole lot better, in my opinion. I pulled out the 12V fake "cigarette lighter" plug, and replaced it with one of these things: Satechi Soundfly WMA/MP3 Player FM Transmitter
    Note: I haven't met the link posting requirements for this forum yet, so you'll need to enter those words into a google search if you want to look up this item on amazon/newegg or wherever. Mine cost thirty bucks last June. There are undoubtedly similar products that perform as well.

[​IMG]

I've tried FM transmitter based MP3 players before, and they did not work well. They tended to be stomped on by strong FM signals and even CB radio rigs. But I have used this one for several hours, and it has worked great.

It has a slot for an internal micro-SD card of up to 16 GB, and a plug for a USB memory stick. I loaded up a micro-SD card with thousands of MP3s ripped from my compact disc collection, and I leave it set on shuffle play. It even remembers the last song that was playing, and picks it up again the next time I start my Prius.

When I want to hear something more specific like some podcasts during a long drive, I put them on a USB stick and plug it in. You can step through them using the remote control, or with controls on the front of the player. You can even bring the player indoors and use it with an FM radio, by plugging a USB charger into it (for power).

I'm not getting any money from mentioning this, in case you're wondering. I just wanted to mention that there's an inexpensive way to greatly improve your listening options with an old Prius, as long as the radio still plays.

Fixing my GPS is going to be more work. I've thought about trying to lube the DVD player mech, but I suspect that it's too worn out for that. I may just buy a separate Garmin unit and find some way to attach it to the dash. Not ideal, but that's how one rolls with a 13+ year old car.

Scott C.

#1 ScottChi, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    bwilson4web likes this.
  2. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you have factory GPS, can stand its crudeness and want it to work again plenty of cheap used parts out there.
    Adopt A part
    in Denver has lots of Gen1s in their yard and I have a nice stash of Gen1 bits too.