1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inexpensive fixed for auto body damage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cooldyood, Jun 25, 2017.

1. cooldyood

cooldyood Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all, unfortunately my 2006 Prius has been in 2 minor accidents and has suffered body damage. I am looking for your advice about how to fix it. The car has 196k miles on it, and I don't think it's worth spending too much on it.
    • Front bumper and grille - as seen in the first photo attached, driver side of the front bumper was damaged in a multi car highway accident. We were lucky to have gotten away with this little damage.
    • Rust and dents on rear door - someone backed their car into my car and damaged the driver side door (second photo).
    Are there inexpensive ways to fix these damages?

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In particular your picture "rust", I don't see any easy and inexpensive fix. But: does nobody in the States carry collision insurance? This seems like a common question from Stateside members.

#2 Mendel Leisk, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  3. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm about to drop the collision coverage on my 2007. My deductible is $1000 to keep cost down. The only claim I would make would be for a total loss. I suspect the OP is in a similar situation.

To the OP, I agree the "rust" photo isn't worth fixing, and there's not enough detail in the other photo to tell if a used bumper cover would help out. Probably not. Personally I'd make sure parts wouldn't fly off, using sheet metal screws and adding brackets from the hardware store if needed.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    If you don't really care about the look of the car, and especially since it is somewhat long in the tooth, then just let the damage go. As long as it passes inspection and you don't plan to keep it much longer, then who cares? In my opinion, unless you do a decent repair job, it won't look good anyway. So why even bother?

However, if you think you'll continue to own it several more years, then why not invest the money and get it looking in tip-top shape again?

Good luck.

5. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Collision is not a requirement in all states. Since it doubles or triples my premium along with comprehensive, I drop that coverage as soon as I am allowed or when the value of the vehicle drops low.

In California, I'd ignore dents like that. It's $1000's to repair on a car that's not worth much more. If salt was sprayed on the roads then I would sand the area and seal the metal to mitigate rust. If driving a dented hooptie bothers you, it would seem you can sell the the car for $3000-$4000 as-is. And buy a lower mileage 2006 for $5000-$6000.

#5 mmmodem, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For bumper repair, I actually like this one. This was a guy one cul-de-sac over from ours. A few months later he sprung for a repair or new bumper, looks seamless. But I seriously like this "pirate" look, with a nose-thumb at what passes for "bumpers" these days:

A bumper with moxie | PriusChat

srellim234 likes this.