1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inexpensive LED DRL modification!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by magic-man, Nov 29, 2010.

1. magic-man

magic-man New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  2. tomw

tomw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    did you install the lights yet?

3. bogeybob513

bogeybob513 rtc513

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I also ordered them-not here yet, and they have just told me that there will be a delay. Any thoughts on where to install them?

4. magic-man

magic-man New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got mine already but have not installed them yet... Too much rain right now on the North Coast. I have everything ready, just want to do it while things are dry.

Some things you will need to do BEFORE you do anything (not a biggie, but MUST be done)...
    1) When you recieve the lights, don't panic if you bought 2 sets and they the package only came with ONE pack of lights. When you open the card carrier you will find both sets inside. This is a common practice in dealing with Hong Kong to save on packaging (and price).
    2) The lights come with old-style clear wire attached, which is fine. Do not rely on the wire color to determine which one is positive (although in the USA, positive would be the copper colored one, but not necessarily in China).
    2A) Get a 9 volt battery and test each light. Mark which wire (with a sharpie or label) is the negative wire so you don't have an issue after install. 2 of mine had the silver wire negative, 2 had the copper wire negative.
    They are pretty well built and have reverse current diodes in them, but you don't wanna burn the diode out.
    3) Lay them all out side by side, wires on the same side... U can trim the non-wired sides to match with a pair of scissors... I like all my sizes exactly the same.

There is a PERFECT place to install them on my Gen 2 Prius (2009)... It is the black air dam right below the bumber. It comes off with 6-8 bolts and is as close to 90 degrees as it gets. I will be putting 2 on the left in alignment with where the fog lights would be and 2 on the right (stacked one over the other).

This is my plan (in the next week or so...):
    I will remove the air dam and stick the lights (2 X 2) on it. I will then run the wires up and over the top to the back and hot-glue them down so they look nice.
    I will then install a plug on them at the air dam so it can be removed if needed for service and oil changes. I will run one wire to a ground point and the other to a switch in the cabin to override the lights if I want to (my wife likes to sit in the Prius when I go to the store and watch TV, so it stays in ready mode). The switch will be installed in the cutout next to the dimmer switch. The other end of the wire will be wired to the blue wire on the windshield washer pump (through a fuse, of course).

Another positive side effect of this installation will be that the lights are so low to the ground that they will give great illumination on the ground in front of the Prius, helping the dash-cam see better at night as well as me.

In thinking about it, I could probably fit 2 more on each side in Yellow as fog lights, but do not know yet if they would be bright enough (yet).

:rockon:

1 person likes this.
  5. magic-man

magic-man New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok.. The weather finally cooperated, my wife ran out of outside stuff for me to do, and I finally got offa my lazy butt and installed the LED DRL strips... I must say, they are brighter than I thought, but look nice!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I got a pair and was surprised at how quickly they shipped, just over a week.

7. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My implementation:

[​IMG]

8. jeffsf

jeffsf New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks pretty cool. But it reminds me of something...

9. jeffsf

jeffsf New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  10. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hmm. I was reminded of

[​IMG]