1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inexpensive phone for Prius 2012 with Nav

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by CaliforniaBear, Oct 10, 2012.

1. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I purchased the 3 rather than the 2 for the navigation and GPS display. We love the Sirius radio however we don't have a smartphone required to access all the entune features. Our present cell phone doesn't even have bluetooth but is quite adequate and inexpensive for our limited usage.

We are looking for a compatible smartphone with an inexpensive plan sufficient to cover the apps with lower data requirements such as traffic. Suggestions would be appreciated.

By the way, the navigation system quite good however the GPS display is very poor compared the a stand-alone GPS such as the Garmin Nuvi which I now have mounted on that nice little window on the left side of the dashboard.

2. parnami

parnami Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have an LG Encore for which I paid, I believe, $70on amazon. My service is ATT's Gophone pre-paid service for which I pay $100/annually. With Tax, $108. No other fees involved. Bing, Traffic and weather work just fine. I suspect the rest do as well, I've just not yet tried them. The only thing that doesn't work is text messaging. Not a big loss and I don't think that feature works with most phones anyway.

3. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You can get a free iPhone with contract now. Though iPhone is quirky on the Bluetooth. You would want to get the Hotspot option on the phone as your data plan. That makes it perfect and having the hotspot is great all around can save you bucks on iPhones and tablets, you can get them without the 3G option.

4. CaliforniaBear

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for this information. It sound like you only use the data at 1cent per 5KB on a $100 prepaid card. Is that correct? How much of the $100 do you use in a year for Bing, Traffic and Weather?

5. parnami

parnami Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    So far, I've not even taken out a data plan. I pay the data costs that are applicable to the basic plan. Obviously, i don't use the system too often. I "played" with the apps when new, but now, use them only when I have need. I see traffic, I check "traffic". I see bad weather forming..I check "weather", or, I"m looking for point of interest not included in the gps data base. Over the years, I've accumulated the maximium amount to my phone: $500. My car gets it's hardest use between the months of August to October. Right now, I have $393 dollars as my balance. I'd anticipate that, over this first year, I'll have drawn down my balance by about $150. Next year, I' antipate it'll be under $100. If I used the car more, I'd subscribe to a data plan. By my calculations, even if my cell bill amounts to double or triple what I pay now, I'm still WAY AHEAD of the game compared to the average person's cell bill. I'm content!! :) Oh..incidentally, I'd estimate that about 2/3's of the usage for this year stems from the car's apps; Basic cell use: voice and text, making up the bulk of the balance. (my cell is NOT my regular phone.)

6. CaliforniaBear

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have the phone but I'm having trouble getting the entune app. Google Play says my model LG Encore is not supported so I don't have the google play store app on the phone. How do I get the google play app so I can get the Toyota Entune app??

7. parnami

parnami Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The app does NOT run on this phone! But, the good news is: you don't need it!!! ;) If you dig around the menu screens, I forget exactly where, you'll come across a screen where you area asked to enter your entune info and password. Do so! If you've done this correctly, everything will work!

After the thumbdrive upgrade, I started a thread bitching about how the update screwed me out of entune. Toyota reps all stated that entune would work only on smart phones with the app and there's no way it would work on my phone. The fact that it did, originally, they proclaimed to have been a fluke!! They were WRONG!! Look up that thread! In it, one of the responses steered me to where to go and what to do to get it working again. After a few minutes digging, I discovered what needed to be done and I've been fine ever since.

Let me know how you make out!!?

8. CaliforniaBear

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I found a place where I could enter my entune username (email address) and password but I still get an error message that your phone is not running the entune app :-(

9. parnami

parnami Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    That stinks! I believe there was one parameter on that set up screen about which I had to guess. You might play with that. Just to make sure we're talking about the same things: you DO have the display audio system (6.1 inch screen) and not the upgraded unit (7 inch), right?

10. CaliforniaBear

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, the display audio smaller screen in the Prius III. I've decided to abandon this approach to the problem and am returning the phone to Amazon.

Thanks much for your help, its just not worth the effort for the little I would use the apps.

11. parnami

parnami Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I"ve been away all weekend and only now just read your post. I'm sorry to hear you've given up. If, by chance, you've not yet returned the phone, he's the thread that got me back on track (if it works: Entune update: Beware!! | PriusChat

12. CaliforniaBear

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Its gone. Thanks for trying.