1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Infamous Brake Light Switch

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Dominique Pelkey, Jul 19, 2022.

1. Dominique Pelkey

Dominique Pelkey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello.
    I have a 2010 and I recently got the P0571 Code.
    Some months back I had my brake light switch changed, however, I do not know if it was genuine or if that even matters for these kinds of parts... This did fix the code I was having and my brake lights work fine (Don't recall what code that was).

However, my cruise control has not worked since I purchased the car, so I just chalked it up to a bad clock spring. But, today I was driving my car and just gave the cruise control a try.

The cruise light comes on but as soon as I attempt to set the speed, the light goes off.
    So now I am thinking maybe it is the switch that is bad. I scanned the car this evening when I got home and it pulled the P0571 Code. Could a new brake light switch fix all the problems in my life? And if so, do I get a genuine part?

Thanks for any guidance.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I haven't priced that switch, but things like that are often inexpensive enough that I don't even think about anything besides genuine.

I had a Gen 1 Prius once, and in that generation at least, there were two brake pedal switches available: one with two pins in the connector, for cars without cruise, and one with four pins, for cars with cruise. Using the first kind in a car with cruise would, of course, prevent cruise from working.

I'm not sure if Gen 2 still had both kinds of switch available (did any Gen 2s come without cruise?), but if so, that sort of mistake could easily explain your issue.

Dominique Pelkey likes this.
  3. Dominique Pelkey

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I’m actually not sure. I haven’t had my Gen 2 for like a year now. But that is a good idea. I’ll grab an OEM switch and see if that fixes it.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think package 1 came without cruise, but it was only fleet

Dominique Pelkey likes this.
  5. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Right

6. Dominique Pelkey

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Random bump, has anyone had a similar issue?

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    since you had the switch changed, i would ask the mech. if you want to diy, you're going to have to look up the troubleshooting in the repair manual.

p0571

it might be worth getting down there and checking the wiring and making sure everything is snug.

do the brake lights operate properly?

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base