1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Infant car seat in Prius Prime

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Chris12, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Skapruisprime

Skapruisprime Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----

Good lord that looks like a mess hahaha

2. Chris12

Chris12 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, everyone, for all your replies. The idea that the rear center seat is safest for infants is new to me too - I had assumed that the rear center would be more dangerous, because in the event of some car seat failure there's nothing between the rear center seat and the windshield, but my wife has been telling me about the collapsing front seat possibility which Trollbait mentioned, or potential injury from side airbags, etc. But then the question becomes: what do you do when you have more than one kid? You can't put all your kids in the rear center seat. So when they're two they're in danger of the front seat collapsing on them, but when they're four this is no longer a problem?

I like some things about the Honda Clarity, but the other car I've actually been considering more seriously is the Ioniq PHEV. It's more efficient that the Clarity, costs a lot less with all the tax credits and dealer discounts, has a longer warranty, etc. One of the main reasons I'm interested in the Prime though is that it seems likely to be even more efficient than the Ioniq PHEV. I'm still waiting to see real-world efficiency data on the Ioniq PHEV, but the real-world efficiency of the Prime is very impressive - according to Wayne Gerdes, even with the heavier battery, the Prime in hybrid mode is more efficient than the Prius 2 Eco...

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it's a v wagon, I did not mean to suggest it was a Prime... I don't know if something like that could work.

4. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You might check if the mounting points for a center seatbelt are present. If so, you could add center seat belts.