1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Influenza US 2019/2020 and vaccine

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by tochatihu, Sep 30, 2019.

1. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I will probably get the flu vacine for 20/21 flu season as the CDC is warning older Americans to minimize the risk of getting the flu and Covid at the same time.

Typically do not get the flu vaccine as am one of the individuals who sometimes has a reaction to the vaccine. My reaction last time was breaking out in hives for a day, Benadryl put to rest the hives pretty quickly.

2. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe a mildly interesting bit of history for someone who never experienced it-

Back in the early 1970's when you exited basic training and were leaving to go to your post, possibly anywhere in the world the military would do mass vaccination shot protocols. I imagined it was much like they do livestock now.

The classes of people in basic where bought to parade grounds and formed into lines where you went from tent to tent to stand in line while being injected with air guns in both arms with many different shots. They would stamp your orders with all the different shots you received. People who fainted,fell down or had reactions where carried to a main tent and attended to by military doctors.

I believe the air gun method of injection is no longer used as when many fainted or jerked it caused bleeding and they just kept injecting people with the same gun.

#82 John321, Jun 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    bisco likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ah, those were the good ol' days :cool:

4. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I clearly remember getting some sort of injection at public school, with a re-used needle and syringe, and the needle being 'sterilized' between uses in a candle flame. I was much too young to know about disease transmission, but old enough to know that the needle might still be hot from the candle.

That was late 1960s.

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Air injectors are still in use, though no longer between patients. I think it is an option for insulin, but experience with them is limited to a shot for a cat.She was not pleased with it, I'm guessing the noise. Sat in the corner of the exam room with her back to all of us after.

7. t_newt

t_newt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I got 'air injected' back in 1976 when they were giving the Swine Flu shot to everyone--thinking there was going to be a pandemic. It turns out they overreacted with the Swine Flu, but maybe (hopefully) soon they'll once again have to figure out how to vaccinate a country all at once. They'll probably just have us get shots like we do for the flu every year.

8. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "Giving it to everyone" depends on how big "everyone" is.
    In my beloved home state of Indiana there are many Amish communities that do not take injections gladly - but local health authorities developed a relationship with them early on and they generally do what needs doing for VERY virulent bugs like MMR.
    Like all communities, they have diabetics.....although not as many of the type-2.
    THEY take shots.

I do not recall getting the swine flu shot in '76 - but memory...especially collective memory is an interesting thing.
    I ABSOLUTELY remember immunizations in boot camp, which came in two stages, both of which were carried out in a gym with air guns.
    They wiped the blood and sweat off of the guns with alky pads between victims.
    The 'sickies' were instructed to lie down on a cot until they could regain their feet and sometimes they even got to rejoin the line more or less where they left off.
    I also absolutely remember that something went awry with one "class" and they were sequestered in their barracks for a period of time and their graduation was delayed.

I've mentioned elsewhere in the forum (probably in the lavatory - DON'T GO IN THERE!) that the 'secret sauce' for dealing with dampanics is the Carville Method.....which is: "Go Ugly Early"
    It has several applications, and history provides us with at least one clear example:
    1972 Yugoslav smallpox outbreak - Wikipedia

They even made a bad movie about it.
    Some of THEIR tools were mass inoculations and martial law.
    Being a Commie nation helped.

Interesting case study....but probably not directly applicable with the Covids in America - what with people having individual rights and all. ;)

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is that what norway did? we weren't prepared todo it, even if we could get people to cooperate

10. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You do not "get" people to cooperate with mass forced inoculations, mandated masks in public, or dusk-to-dusk curfews.

That's what martial law is for.... ;)

Late Edit....
    I misstated that a little.
    I should have said....."If they don't want to...."

Civil laws can be made to force people to wear masks, and, some would say....to take inoculations, but it's a little hard to enforce those laws if you have even a small percentage of scofflaws, and if you have enough scofflaws then it's a little pointless to infringe on people's rights with the emergency laws.
    During the Spanish Flu, they used to dump people who flouted mask laws into jail but we live in more gentile times now.

#90 ETC(SS), Jun 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there's a time for everything under the sun, and a season. however, in some cultures, working for the common good is more accepted

12. t_newt

t_newt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Is mandated masks considered martial law? I guess we've been living under martial law for our entire lives then, because by law you are required to wear clothes. And the penalties for not doing so are a lot worse than for not wearing a mask. Some food stores even make you wear shoes and a shirt!

bisco likes this.
  13. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No...martial law is something fundamentally different than towns/cities/counties/states requiring face masks.
    This is because, as it turns out, towns/cities/counties/states have have very broad powers to get people to do things or not allow them to do other things.
    Don't believe me?
    Try opening a business without a permit.
    Violate fire codes.
    Stay out past curfew.
    In certain overly regulated states....even RAINWATER collection on private property is regulated.
    Under Ops Normal - laws regulate the peeps.
    Once you do a little paperwork, you ABSOLUTELY CAN force people to wear face masks in public.
    A little over 100 years ago....they ABSOLUTELY DID.
    In the 1918 flu pandemic, not wearing a mask was illegal in some parts of America. What changed?

People protested THEN too.....
    How San Francisco's mask slackers resisted 1918 Spanish flu law
    Protesting During A Pandemic Isn’t New: Meet The Anti-Mask League Of 1918

However (COMMA!)

Those are all civil functions.
    Martial law (as the name implies) is the direct replacement of those functions with a military body.
    Martial law in the United States - Wikipedia
    There's a little paperwork here too - but the phrase: "I KNOW MY RIGHTS!" works a little differently under martial law....;)

The no shoes / no shirt argument is a false equivalence, since it's quite legal to go without shoes in most cities and states, but some private businesses still have some rights to refuse service to uncooperative customers in some cities and states.
    SOME persons with mammary glands who may or may not be female or in transition to or from female are still treated a little differently with regards to shirts....but that's a different discussion....sometimes civil....sometimes not.

...for now.

#93 ETC(SS), Jun 25, 2020
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a guy who refused to close his gym got the water and electric cut off, simple enough ;)

15. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's not by tate, it's by town/city.

most around here have it in the building codes along with impermeable surface maximums and footprint.
    our son and dil just went through the process. you can pay around 50 g's, or avoid it by not increasing the footprint on the lot

17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had previously heard of this only in terms of legacy downstream water rights. Which is a very big deal in places such as the Colorado River Basin, where legal water rights were set back in an era when rainfall and snowpack were greater, so that the modern annual flow is now less than the legal allocations. At least for a while, humans pumping out water caused the river flow to no longer reach the ocean.

For places that had plenty more water than humans needed, rainwater collection was almost never an issue.

"Whiskey is for drinking, water is for fighting!"

Colorado River - Wikipedia
    "The Colorado is now considered among the most controlled and litigated rivers in the world, with every drop of its water fully allocated."

#97 fuzzy1, Jun 25, 2020
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we have plenty of water, it's enviro politics gone wild

19. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Not everywhere.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not everywhere in massachusetts? i'm not even sure the rainwater containment systems are about reusing water. they may have something to do with perceived runoff.