1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Info Button not working GEN 1

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by lmarcucci, Jul 22, 2014.

1. lmarcucci

lmarcucci Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone,

Something weird happened that I have never encountered before. My info button on my GEN1 does not seem to work. Does anyone know of a way to get to the consumption/energy screen? My info button doesn't seem to work at all. I thought gen2 MFD were only supposed to go bad...

2. lmarcucci

lmarcucci Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I fixed it by cycling from holding it in to pressing it a million times fast. It finally worked after some time and the trip info screen came up.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a marvelous spray can of "GC Jiffy Bath" that's great for spraying on the contacts of aging buttons, switches, and knobs when they start to get (electrically-)noisy or unreliable.

I'd call it a simple fix, except for the way that panel is built, where the board with the button contacts is about the second thing in the assembly sequence with everything else in that panel built on after it, so disassembling to get access to it is pretty tedious. Also, at this age, the trim panel itself is brittle enough that many people report cracking it no matter how gentle they are in removing it, so you have do decide if it's worth the effort.

If you do go to remove the panel:

The colder the more brittle. Summer is a good time; if the car's been in the sun all day, even better.

Make sure you've found all of the bolts and nuts pointed out in the instructions; if it isn't coming away easily, find out why.

The clips around the edges don't take much force. Wherever Toyota shows 'pry with tape-covered screwdriver' I've always had success with no more than 'gently pop apart with spread-out fingers'.

-Chap