1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Info on reconditioning the Hybrid Battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Integraoligist, May 27, 2016.

1. Integraoligist

Integraoligist Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey all,

Anyone have a good how-to on reconditioning the original Hybrid Battery (I've got a 2005). Removing the HV was pretty easy and I can find the cells online for $25-35ea.

NAPA has an all new HV Battery for $1700, I find reconditioned batteries on Ebay for $800... might as well recondition myself for $100.

Thanks all for the help!

kenoarto likes this.
  2. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    First, read this thread.
    Gen II Prius Individual Battery Module Replacement | PriusChat

Recondition it for $100? That's whack-a-mole money, my friend.

There is no "one size fits all" procedure for this. Success largely depends on how long you can afford to have the car
    out of service and how much you can afford. If you need the car operational in three to four days, it will require investment in a
    grid charger or multiple module level balance chargers - either of which will cost $400 minimum just for the charger(s).
    If you have all the time in the world H.G., then you will be able to do it for less. But not $100.

Consider yourself lucky if you can snag good modules for $25 a pop, you'll probably be spending closer to the $35
    to get ones that will last for six months or more.

The most important aspect of reconditioning is locating and replacing the obviously bad and weak modules.
    The bad ones are easy to spot - low voltage. Load testing is essential to find the weak ones. Voltage tells you almost nothing.
    What's most important is actual capacity in amp hours. That's what kills one of the cells in a weak module in the first place - polarity
    reversal. Discharge/charge cycles can revitalize marginal modules but only to a point.

The NAPA HV battery is reconditioned with used modules. Only Toyota sells a HV battery with brand new modules.

SFO, dubit and kenoarto like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check member 's keith' threads. there's one on reconditioning and results. all the best!(y)

napa does not have an 'all new' battery. do more research before purchasing.

4. Totallylost

Totallylost Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just wondering if you were able resolve this issue because I am trying to do this also.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there are lots of threads here, and you can get a reconditioned from the priuschat store from @jeff652

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here is a succinct overview of the process:
    Battery Reconditioning - Hybrid Automotive

For details (there are lots and lots of details) and other user experiences this is the best website to be on. You will find lots of helpful information here.

[shameless plug] We now sell quality tested used modules with a one year warranty here:
    Replacement Toyota Prius Module - Hybrid Automotive

7. Totallylost

Totallylost Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yes thank you. The codes are: P0A80 / P3015/P3016. Those are the 3 codes as per Toyota

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her, she may be beyond reconditioning.

9. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Blocks 5 and 6 have your opportunities ;).

Ready to play whacks mole:whistle:?

If you had the Prolong setup or access to it, it would make the process easier(y).

10. Totallylost

Totallylost Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi and yes, thank you :) I see that term a lot here of whacks mole..lol. We have been inquiring about the Prolong chargers/dischargers so let's see how it works. Will keep you all posted. Thank you.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  11. Totallylost

Totallylost Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    she has a lot a miles 210K. She does run just that the dashboard has all sorts of lights on.

12. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The people selling the Prolong charger now sell used modules matched to the car’s mileage too.

13. Totallylost

Totallylost Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yes good morning!. I saw that in their website and called as well. Their customer service is very helpful.

14. Totallylost

Totallylost Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, how are you? I am in the mids of deciding if "reconditioning" and purchasing your charger/discharger OR buying a refurbished battery. I do have a question...if the red triangle VSC (and all other lights ..lol!!) came out in dashboard would the charger still help (of course I would replace the bad block (#5 and 6) but my question does it work? And have you had any success stories of individuals that have been successful in using Prolong charger and discharger ? I called your office a few times and your staff seems very professional and knowledgable. Let me know of any success story please :( . My concern is that we do it (we actually are going to record it step by step) and that a week later everything happens all over again. I hear stories like that and that is why I am concerned. Let me know and thanks.

15. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @Raytheeagle has reconditioned his battery a few times. He will remember some others.
    Be sure to follow the instructions, especially the cool down period after charging. One user here got impatient and had to replace his battery pack.

16. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    We helped a member here swap some modules out and recondition his battery with good results:).

I have performed several top end balancing and reconditioning cycles with the Prolong equipment ;).

If I were in your position, I would buy the Prolong setup and the accompanying modules. Then you’ll be set up for the next steps as once you start, you need to continue :).

Most rebuilt batteries fail due to not having regular maintenance performed on them;).

Good luck with your decision (y).

17. Totallylost

Totallylost Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi and thank you! :) I will follow up with all of you and post how it goes. I will be recording step by step

Raytheeagle and Prodigyplace like this.
  18. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just know that this process covers several days;).

Hopefully you’re just going to give us the cliff notes version :).

But let us know the results as the data is very useful to refute the nay sayers (y).

Prodigyplace likes this.
  19. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It good enough, perhaps @jeff652 may be interested for promotional purposes.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  20. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I’m sure he’d always be on the look out for that;).

But having data here helps those coming to Prius Chat make a good determination for themselves (y).

Prodigyplace likes this.