1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Information on EGR system and intake Manifold Cleaning

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by aperry1971, Jan 11, 2023.

1. aperry1971

aperry1971 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looking for any information on chemicals used and cleaning tools?

Getting ready to do the job for the first time. Also any videos is appreciated on the cleaning process.

2. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    My mechanic wants to inject 'SeaFoam' into a vacuum line.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    From a vacuum line, 'SeaFoam' will be drawn into the intake, and then into the combustion chambers, where it will be turned into exhaust before it ever reaches the EGR system.

Sometimes neglected when people take on these EGR projects is the value of getting the before-cleaning and after-cleaning EGR flow numbers from the car.

That's (a) the way you'll know how much your effort accomplished, and (b) when you report it on that thread with your car's odometer and driving conditions, contributing to our knowledge of how other people can judge when to jump into the same effort for themselves.

CR94 likes this.
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah get the flow numbers with tech The dealer types software If you have that and you see you need cleaning I'm telling you man it's much easier on you than farting around with folks that don't know what's happening it's much easier to run by LKQ grab one of these coolers off a car that's easy to get it off of because the front ends off of it grab an intake manifold while you're standing there that's the plastic part that the throttle bodies connected to and you can send the EGR cooler over to your local machine shop who will tank it and when it comes out it will be whistle clean like brand new literally no worries it will be stupid clean and then your intake manifold a couple small brushes and you can blast right through those little holes in the center of your ports at the bottom of the intake won't take but few seconds to run a few brushes through there and pull them out spray all that off and clean it you can do that at the house but the cleaning of the shiny silver EGR intercooler You probably want to get that tanked no brushes no funny business tanked seriously and what they dip heads manifolds and other metal parts in you'll be very happy money well spent 30 bucks maybe then your mechanic can just assemble those clean parts to the car without wasting any time of his pushing brushes and doing things like that You don't want to pay somebody making $75 an hour to push a broom or push a brush That's my logic anyway.

5. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Do EGR flow numbers set a code?

My mechanic can only look at the codes, not much else.

The dealership is much less helpful.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The codes are based on the test result numbers, but the code only sets when the result gets "bad enough". The nice thing about looking at the number directly is that you can see how "bad" it is (or isn't) before you start, and you can see how much better you made it, and you can do all of this without it ever getting near "bad enough" to trigger the P0401 code.

So, it gives you quantitative information to work with, not just "is it so bad it sets the code already, or not."

It doesn't take a complicated scan tool to show emission monitor results. That's the OBD standard "mode 6". Lots of scan tools and apps can do it, as you can see if you look through that thread I linked for the wide variety of tools people are using to read the info.

ForestBeekeeper likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    See first and second links in my signature; first has links to videos, tool list, tips. The second link covers more stuff, in particular what chemicals I used.

If you're on a phone, turn it landscape to see signatures.

What's the miles on yours?

PacificCornhusker likes this.
  8. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The only way to properly clean it is to remove it and manually clean it.

Foxglove likes this.
  9. aperry1971

aperry1971 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Chapman..... Very good idea on collecting the data first(thanks for attaching the post)..... I attached the scan I did today and will do it again once I remove the Intake/EGR system and clean it..... I have a post started of why I am going down this road and will put all details in that post since it had to do with those codes....

Attached Files:

• P.jpg
      P.jpg
      File size:
      173.1 KB
      Views:
  10. aperry1971

aperry1971 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the videos...exactly what I was looking for.... Mileage is 222K

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    18 kPa does not seem strikingly bad. Best we get on a freshly squeaky-cleaned system tends to be around 21 point something. I cleaned mine when it was down to around 10 point something, at 15x,xxx miles.

And yours is at 222k miles? Has it been cleaned before? What kind of driving do you commonly do?

12. aperry1971

aperry1971 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes 222K..... Dealer changed the intake at 156K so I assume they cleaned it but not sure..... for the last 3 years all city driving minor Highway, but before that was all highway about 120 miles a day 5 days a week...

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I doubt they cleaned the cooler; that doesn't seem to be a common dealer service.

I'm guessing all those 120 mile days played a role in the reading being so good at this point.

14. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The number you're showing seems to say you don't really need to clean the cooler yet. Cleaning out the manifold EGR passages might still be wise, though, and is much easier.
    I'm getting a similar or slightly better flow number.

burebista likes this.
  15. aperry1971

aperry1971 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mendal a question.... I will remove both the intake and EGR cooler system, when I reinstall is there a preferred way? I am worried if I just bolt everything down the EGR pipe that connects the intake to the EGR might have a gap and if tightened may stress the intake manifold or am I looking too much into this it really is not a problem.

16. nicoj36

nicoj36 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Clean the intake manifold, throttle body, egr pipe with carb cleaner and brush. Then clean the EGR itself with oven cleaner and boiling water, do it about 2-3 times until you can see through it which means its unclogged.

Also since you’re already there, you might as well change the PCV valve. Your prius would run a lot better.

17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I know what you’re saying. It is a bit of a moon shot: you’ve got the intake bolted to one face, the EGR valve/cooler bolted to anther face of the engine, and the exhaust manifold, on a third face of the engine. And this bent pipe with flanges both ends, bridging between the two. It’s a testament to accuracy how well it all fits.

I torqued the intake manifold, and the EGR components, and then placed the pipe between. With the latter I got all the bolts in, then just snugged them all, and lastly torqued them all. There was ever so slight imperfection, but it all pulled together.

18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The installation section in the repair manual does have a suggested multi-step approach: temporarily snugging valve-to-cooler nuts A and B, then installing the studs, then temporarily snugging 2 nuts (C) and bolt, then torquing A, then torquing nuts B and C and the bolt. (The As, Bs, and Cs are shown in the diagram I haven't pasted here.)

And of course it says "Make sure that all installation surfaces of the EGR valve with cooler assembly are in even contact when tightening the bolts and nuts."

19. aperry1971

aperry1971 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Chapman...I don't see the diagram

20. aperry1971

aperry1971 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    EGR cooler is clogged big time.... I sprayed brake kleen and a little comes out the other side, I even can spray brake kleen and fill the cooler end with very little coming out the other end...

Any advice at all? Soak in carburetor cleaner if not what can I soak it in? Can I hit it with compressed air or that will be a problem?

I do not even understand how there was air flow to not trigger an error code or how I got the flow in the picture I attached above...