1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Information on Steering and Hybrid Coolant Pump Recalls C0T and C0U

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by seilerts, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Agent J

Agent J Hypoliterian

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, Patrick. :)

2. Agent J

Agent J Hypoliterian

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, they said to call back by end of next week when they should have more information on the recall. :rolleyes:

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks!
    Yeah, unfortunately, it's unclear if the replacements provided by LSC A0N are very good due to the reports hear about them crapping out. I got mine replaced at my request citing LSC A0N. It doesn't seem like I'm eligible for another replacement.

4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The real question is if the newly redesigned pumps will be better than the old redesigned pumps which replaced the original pumps. There is reference after reference here on PC and elsewhere about these pumps failing for a long time now.

Toyota's image on these pumps doesn't look very good imo.

Ron

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    yea - the official word is to just stand by ... and some time next month (December) they'll send you a note telling you to come on down ... at wich time they'll 'inspect' ... as though you won't necessarily get your junk changed out, if to them, it 'looks ok'. Why is it that I don't find that very comforting. Last time I went in for a tsb (the MFD failures that started in the early gen II's) they told me my brakes needed changing. That was 80,000 miles ago and the pads still continued on their merry way. :rolleyes:

6. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just called toy 1800..my 05 with the check engine light on and mysterious whine pump noise is NOT INCLUDED n the recall

Galaxy Nexus ? 2

7. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Concerning the steering shaft, it seems there were two vendors and they need to inspect your Prius to see which one is installed. If it is from the vendor that used the softer steel, then they order the replacement part (since it is on allocation) and schedule the service to actually replace the part.

I am sure the dealer would like to sell everyone some additional services while they have the vehicle. Some new tires, an oil change, a battery checkup, coolant replacement, etc ...

Are Toyota dealers the only route for having your Prius inspected and the work performed for these recalls? I would rather have my local independent garage do the job and be reimbursed by Toyota.

8. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    John,

Can you tell which vendor from the part number? If so, which one is "good" and which one is "bad".

JeffD

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes. Since the point of the recall is to take care of a safety issue, why would Toyota allow an unaffiliated third party to perform that work? Toyota has no control over the quality of the service performed by the third party.

10. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have no idea. I don't know how Toyota handles their parts markings. I would suspect the same part number for both vendors but then another marking for each vendor.

11. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    From my understanding of the pump situation the new pump is not a redesign.

The production process is being altered to stop the scratching of the insulation in production of the motor winding. As they say that it is this cause of internal shorts within the motors that drive the pump.

I would imagine although I have no proof of this that this will mean changing pumps that have already been changed. The reason my 2008 will have a new pump even though it is of the later type and was not in the earlier recall.

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    it seems like it was over a year ago that are hybrid Lexus SUV (as well as the hyhi suv) got a recall for the same cooling issue. I wonder why it took Toyota so long to own up to the same issue on the Prius.

SGH-I717R ? 2

13. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No difference.
    The recall excludes vehicles that already had their inverter coolant pumps changed under the LSC.

[email protected] likes this.
  14. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Then why would the pump on 2008/2009 vehicles be changed when they are fitted with the so called redesigned pump fitted in first campaign.

15. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe because Toyota realized the pumps aren't highly reliable, but they can't afford another round of replacing pumps on the 2004-2007 model years?

16. Longboardluv

Longboardluv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ha Ha , it's funny that you mention this. My steering shaft actually went bad and I spent 550.00 to replace it about 3 months ago. In the letter they sent to my house it had information on how to submit for reimbursement if you had the work done already. So yeah you probably could go to your shop and then apply for reimbursement like I'm having to do.

17. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I did the steering recall and they said that the only thing they did was "added a bolt".

When turning the steering wheel to and away from the lock position there used to be a judder of the steering wheel in the z dimension (towards me or away from me). After the recall that judder still exists, but is less pronounced.

Does Toyota's recall actually fix this issue permanently or is it a cheap and easy fix?

18. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I just got back from the dealer and likewise just had a bolt installed for the steering int. shaft warranty work. I've never noticed any steering problems.

This link shows 50% of vehicles will have the steering shaft replaced, see
    see page 5
    Google Drive Viewer
    This link has detailed instructions on what actually is repaired, the bolt is attaching the shaft to the steering gear rack as I understand the instructions. See pages 17 on for this.

So a good under car wash before this work may help the technician, especially if you drive on unpaved roads.

Edit, found a youtube video of Carolyn of Luscious Garage doing a bench repair for this.

Edit Carolyn's blog has a good writeup / info on the repair.
    Luscious Garage | Blog | Prius Steering Intermediate Shaft Recall C0T - Details for Owners

cwerdna and Agent J like this.
  19. Agent J

Agent J Hypoliterian

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the video. Might be a good opportunity for those who are contemplating on changing to bigger front sway bars to have them do it while the assembly is down. :rolleyes:

20. hormosapiens

hormosapiens Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    my first post in this forum.
    prius 2004 with 81000miles. received recall letter from toyota. went to local toyota dealer today without appointment. they took it in. in the end they said no COT changed just the bolts. my car didn't needed it.

if i have a accident now from that... i know who to sue. :)