1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Initial April Sales

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by bwilson4web, May 2, 2017.

1. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Okay, so remove picture of Prius Prime and just keep the pictures of the Prius and Volt. Got it.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think that's what threw me, without and explanation.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i fixed that, thank you.

4. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    April is the beginning of the second calendar quarter, typically the weakest auto sales month including April, May, and June.

With continued limited supply and still no full national rollout, May and June would be expected to have progressively strengthing sales.

Great news for the Prime.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I appreciate what Jeff was trying to accomplish, looking at one narrow requirement, minimum gas burn. It is an important 'car bling' but not so much that I try to follow CleanMPG driving style. My interest was sparked by the cars discussed:
    • Prius hybrid - the 2016 Level Two ECO lacking TSS-P and turning down a 2016 Level Three after a test drive ('99.1 MPG is not enough')
    • BMW i3-REx - bought in response, the EV heavy, four seater, plug-in
    • Prius Prime - in response to BMW mechanical problems, the MPG efficient, four seater, plug-in
    • evaluation of the Volt at the local dealer
    I am sympathetic to Jeff's goal but as sophisticated, efficient car owners, we may 'know too much' to comment without it sounding like 'torches and pitch forks.' Heck, we even had a BEV advocate raise their hand and I confess to being a hard nice person about TSS-P (i.e., dynamic cruise control and collision avoidance) over simple efficiency.

On any given day, we can probably find some specific case that would lead any of the vehicles to being either the angel or the goat. I just admire Jeff's ability to write so many excellent articles across the board. If one isn't perfect, let's not go overboard in our critique. It isn't easy earning a living writing.

Bob Wilson

Jeff N, El Dobro and Prius from Dad like this.
  6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    A BEV could reduce a person's gasoline use to zero, but only if the BEV can be a 100% replacement to an ICE car. Few available BEVs do that, and for discussions on how much gas a person uses, you would then have to look at what other car they use when the BEV won't do.

The majority looking to reduce gasoline use while sticking to just one car are going to look at hybrids and PHEVs.

Um, the Hummer is no longer for sale.
    ;)
    A car buyer looking at a full size SUV likely has 'reducing gas use' far down on their list of car priorities. The point of the article wasn't to make the Volt look good, but to show that the hybrid MPG of a PHEV is not the only data point to consider when the buyer's goal is to reduce gasoline use.

7. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If they were trying to make that point, they should have used 2 PHEVs, not a PHEV & a Hybrid.

8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If a car buyer's goal is to reduce the amount of gasoline they use, why would they ignore the plain old hybrids?