1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inkjet Scam

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Salamander_King, Dec 17, 2018.

1. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Except my Epson ET-3750 came with two sets of bottles consisting of black, red, yellow, blue plus an extra black one and the black ones are all double the size of the colored ones and each bottle is about a fill and a half for the tank in the printer it goes in. After a year and printing out thousands of pages I still have 2 blacks and a set of the ryb ones unopened. And my tanks are also 80% full. So I figure I've used about half a bottle each of the four. You don't have to buy a printer that promises to rip you off.

Costco and Epson was marketing it as saving ink costs. It has surely done that. I can't wait for my wife's HP to run out of ink, refills cost more than the printer.

Now granted it isn't a super duty printer but then I didn't pay super duty prices either.

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I too have that one now, an Epson Eco-Tank model.

Please note that this isn't a replaceable cartridge printer at all. It uses larger tanks filled from bulk bottles. It isn't sold under that Gillette marketing model of cheap to get started, expensive to buy the replacement consumables.

Instead, this printer costs some real money, because the ink doesn't subsidize the original printer. The manufacturer must make most of its profit on the original hardware, not on any subsequent "annuity" of comparatively cheap replacement ink purchased infrequently in bulk. For people who are going to print a significant page count over the life of the device, this produces a comparatively low cost per page. But it doesn't make much sense for people printing in very low volume.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I like Epson. My scanner is one of theirs.

I like that they publish (or at least did, at one time) an actual protocol that their printers and scanners use, instead of having it all be secrets in the guts of some downloadable Windows or Mac driver.

Those ET printers look like a good deal.

How long do the nozzle heads last? Are they easily replaced?

4. NewHybridOwner

NewHybridOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I never tried them, but I have read that Epson "starter" cartridges actually contain more ink then a standard cartridge because they have to "prime" the ink-delivery system. I don't know about other brands.

5. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The ink delivery system is all contained with the cartridge though, correct?

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We've got a Brother HL-3040CN, a colour LED (comparable to laser). Also, A Canon Pixma Pro100 (inkjet).

The Brother prints 8.5x11, has 3 colour and one black toner cartridge, that cost around $75 CDN apiece, but last a looong time. Also, the toner's stable, can sit for years, no problem.

The Canon prints 13x19, has 8 ink-jet cartridges, and there's always one or two bottoming out, and they're around $23 CDN apiece. Let it sit idle long enough, and you likely need to replace them regardless. Due to frequency of replacement the Canon's ink is a lot pricier. But:

You can't print photo quality on the Brother, can't even come close. I guess bottom line: photo inkjets are the way to go, but unless you use them frequently, maybe semi-pro, maybe just find a service to do your printing.

#126 Mendel Leisk, Jun 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    jerrymildred likes this.
  7. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For very infrequent photo printing, I have an Olympus p400 dye sublimation printer. It uses a special ink ribbon for the dye sublimation process. The quality of photo printed on glossy photo paper is one of the best I have seen from any consumer-grade photo printers. The ink ribbon is expensive ~$45 for 50 sheets of 8x10 photo papers, but it never goes bad. In fact, I am still using the ribbon I purchased almost 20 years ago.

jerrymildred and Mendel Leisk like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    for photos, we just email them to cvs, and they mail them to us. use to have a printer, but this solves all the nagging headaches

9. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, that works and much easier. I don't know if cheaper once you own a printer. How much is an 8x10 print?

bisco likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i honestly can't tell you, mrs.b does all that. it probably isn't cheaper, but it's easier and more convenient. it' is part of solving the 'inkjet' problem.
    we also print our docs at the library when the inkjet is being stubborn, but trying to get on google mail there is a 20 minute nightmare, involving the librarian.
    and of course, they're closed now.

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It sounds like you were fortunate to have landed one of those. I haven't heard much about dye-sub consumer printers lately. I remember years ago it was big news that a sort of affordable one was coming out, I even contacted the manufacturer, of course they just had a driver for Windows, to use it with Unix I would have had to write a driver myself, to even get its interface specs to do that I would have had to sign an NDA, just soured me on it.

12. NewHybridOwner

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Maybe it depends on the model: if there's a separate print head (as our old HP ink printer had, and two different Epson models with which I am familiar have) the ink has to get from the cartridge to the nozzle.

13. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Neither have I. As I said, my dye-sub printer is almost 20 years old. I bought it right after my first digital camera which was made by Olympus. It may be the only consumer-grade dye-sub printer ever produced. I can't remember what I paid for it then, but you can still buy it at Amazon. www.amazon.com/Olympus-Camedia-P-400-Digital-Printer/dp/B00004Y7KO

One good thing about this printer is that this is a stand-alone photo printer. You can stick the memory card to print a photo. No need for a PC or Linux box. One caveat is that it only take a defunct SmartMedia card. However, it has a PCMCIA Type II PC card slot to use other memory card format if you have an old PCMCIA card adapter.

#133 Salamander_King, Jun 5, 2020
  14. NewHybridOwner

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's why I pensioned off our LaserJet 2200: HP cartridges were scarce and outrageously expensive, but aftermarket ones were seriously inferior.

HP toner cartridges include the drum. The Brother laser printer I bought to replace the LJ2200 has a separate drum that's supposed to last for 30K pages, I think.

15. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here is a recommendation for an inkjet printer we use

It is a Brother MFC-J985DW - Ink vestment series.

With school kidos our home printer gets a real workout and must do color and black and white. The kids use it for report papers with color graphics. The printer came with 3 full sets of ink cartridges and after 2 years we still have one full set left and one additional single black cartridge left. The cartridges are high yield.

I use the scan and copy features quite often. It also has a fax capability but we rarely use it. This printer is a refreshing change from my prior experience with inkjet printer. The printer simply just works when you need it. No clogged print heads- no paper jams - no connectivity issues it just works.

With kids in school nowadays you must have a printer at home. I have sworn off HP, EPSON and Lexmark because of the problems we had with them. I actually threw the EPSON in the electronic trash stream at a local recycler so that it couldn't be rebuilt and put someone else through the hell it put us through!

Here is a review of the Brother printer we suggested

Brother MFC-J985DW Review | PCMag

(you can get it much cheaper by shopping around than the article suggest). Even though the cartridges seem to last a year for us they are relatively cheap. The act of hitting the print button and having the printer actually print,scan or copy every time = priceless.

#135 John321, Jun 5, 2020
  16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Does that mean you haven't printed more than 50 sheets in those 20 years?

Is $45 still a plausible price for that ribbon somewhere? I just saw a source offering a ribbon and 50 sheets of paper for like $120.

17. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't used the printer for some years now. But I bought ribbons and papers in bulk right after I bought the printer close to 20 years ago. The printer still printed beautifully with 10+ years old papers and ribbon. I still have a few more packages of unused ribbons and papers.

Yeah, finding supply for this printer is going to be heard. eBay might be the only viable place you can still buy few that still exist. I have no idea how old those are. The paper may be substituted by other photo papers, but a new ribbon must be supplied to keep using this printer.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-P-RBWW-Glossy-Photo-Ribbon-Kit-P-400-Series-NIP-Lot-of-2-Japan/224032970434
    https://www.ebay.com/i/202922427388

#137 Salamander_King, Jun 5, 2020
  18. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For the few times we want photo quality we order from Adorama Photo online.

#138 Prodigyplace, Jun 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is actually reason why I got rid of all our Epson printers and went back to HP. Inkjets are kind of like the Prius, in that you need to keep using them every so often or else they damage themselves. Epson's generally have the printheads built into the tray and NOT the cartridge. HPs generally have the head built into the cartridge and not the tray. Meaning the ink delivery system in an HP is completely self contained per colour. In an Epson it isn't. When the ink dries up, when there is debris, anything that clogs or degrades a head, the Epson requires a giant teardown and rebuild to clean the guts. The HP you can just chuck the cartridge and install a new one. The HP's also usually can clean the head internally using a minimal amount of ink. So if you leave them powered on, they will run a maintenance cycle automatically without printing anything keeping the nozzle and cartridges clear and free.

I don't print very often, but when I do, the HP always works. The Epsons will have issues if you don't print every month. And I could go a month between prints easily. Of course the borderless photo printing is awesome.

I actually use an oldschool Dell laser printer for the majority of my printing needs which today is mostly UPS printing labels for my various businesses. I love this thing. It is a colour laser printer, does 40 pages a minute b/w and 35 colour and the drum is rated for 35k pages, but the original drum ran over 90k pages, the second drum lasted 100k pages. On the 3rd drum now. The toner last forever and you can get versions with huge humps that last 18k pages a piece! All networked, super easy. It's now 15 years old and prints just as good as the day I bought it. It's image quality for photos is crap, but if you print a slideshow or something, brilliant.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  20. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It was so long ago that I don't even remember the brand or why I got rid of it, but I had a dye sub printer, too. It was at least 20 years ago. I do remember that the images were great.

Salamander_King likes this.