1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inserting new spark plug tube seals into the valve cover ... anything better than beat them in?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by pingd, Oct 12, 2019.

1. pingd

pingd Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you Georgina! Sorry to not understand, but I do not have the proper foundations to know how to proceed.

Could someone please help translate? For example:
    - what type of machine/industrial shop could do this? (ex one that specializes in POM? ... for what type of application ... automotive?)
    - what artifacts would I need to bring with me so that they could understand? (rough drawing, drawing with dimensions, valve cover with example seal, just example seal, etc)
    - would this be considered a "routine" or "exotic" request?
    - guestimate of cost?

Basically, for the right person (Georgina) easy to do, but would others typically have the equipment and would they be inclined to undertake such a request? (Really wish I lived in SC but I'm in MN!)

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Especially onsidering the original seals were maybe ok:

There's got to be a simple, low budget way to press those seals in, with what you have on hand. Don't overthink it?

3. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You can actually make the driver out of wood on a wood turning lathe. That's how manufacturers like Ford did it for the Model T.

Also, POM Delrin can easily be turned on a woodworking lathe.

Simply put, all I would need to know is how deep the seals are inserted. Most often, they are flush, but I would have to be sure. Just have to look at them before removal to know. The only other thing I would need is one of the seals. That's all.

4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Looking through post #14 attachment, the Repair Manual instruction is to use an old gasket with the seal portion cut off, to help install the new gasket
    upload_2019-10-21_6-7-51.png
    upload_2019-10-21_6-10-15.png
    upload_2019-10-21_6-11-20.png

Last illustration, enlarged:

upload_2019-10-21_6-16-52.png

The Critic likes this.
  5. pingd

pingd Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Many thanks to you again Master Po as well as Georgina.

What worked for me in the end was trial and error: ordered a different brand of valve cover gasket + tube seals:
    Beck Arnley 036-1887 Valve Cover Gasket Set
    The tube seals were probably 0.4-0.75mm less in diameter and they popped in quite readily
    Son swears that these aftermarket seals are the same as the original Toyota ones (pattern of ridges/markings).

Tried the above method with the new (superseded) Toyota part and Fel-Pro but had limited success.
    The nigh impossible part for me was always getting the entire seal initially seated into the hole (i.e. seal is too big for the hole unless you deform it).
    A heat gun worked to some extent - but because the rubber coating on the seal is basically "paint thick" it exposed the metal bands inside and this made it unviable.

Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    pingd and Raytheeagle like this.