1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inside look at selling cars.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Ashlem, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Car Salesman Confidential: Non-Confrontational Buying

Very interesting blog if you've ever wondered what car salesmen and women have to deal with when selling cars. While customers often feel they're getting ripped off (and with good reason), the on the flipside of the coin, the car salespeople often have a lot of pressure riding on them to sell sell sell, and preferably not lose any or too much money in the process.

I never realized how tough it can be, and the high turnover rate. Two salesmen I met when shopping for a Prius a while back don't seem to be working at the dealerships I visited, including the one that sold me one.

This isn't to say that they're all saints out looking for our best interests at heart, and the author does mention there are sleazebags out there who do fit the stereotypical car salesman out to steal your wallet. But most of them are just regular people trying to make a living at a difficult place.

But it certainly does paint them in a different light now that I've seen a little bit of what they do and have to deal with, not just with customers, but from their managers as well.

2. pmike

pmike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We have learned that if you aren't negotiating with the sales manager then you are not in real deal territory. When we beat on them hard we end up dealing directly with the sales manager. This last time I just dealt with the sales manager directly. They still have a sales person handle the final paper work so he is not poaching their commission.

3 months ago we used truecar.com to beat on a Nissan dealership and this week when utilizing truecar.com realized they are no longer a participating dealer, we still used it against them. You can get info out of truecar.com without providing your info. They have to pay a $300 finders fee to truecar.com if they link the sale. We negotiated the $300 off too.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the sales business is the sales business, whether it's cars or software. you can call it sleazy, but it's mostly trying to make as much profit as possible. that's the capitalist way, and it's true throughout the world. just human nature, who would want to make less than possible? the sleazy part, imo, is when they sell unneeded add ons or repairs to innocents. or take peoples keys to 'test drive' their trade in and try to pressure them to make a deal before giving them their keys back. that's why some states have enacted a 3 day cooling off period. i don't feel sorry for them, it's better than coal mining.

Okinawa and Trollbait like this.
  4. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    While I generally take the view that car dealerships are looking to grab your legs, turn you over and shake money out of you, at the same time I also kind of hate how some people will also play games with them.

Case in point, a few years back, I took my sister to a Toyota dealership to look at a used camry. She test drove it, and then went inside to do the haggling. Despite them dropping their asking price repeatedly, she kept refusing to buy. Finally the salesman asked why she wouldn't buy, and she showed him on her smartphone another dealership offering the same year camry for an even lower price. His manager then approved him to go below that price, and she still said no. The salesman was nearly in tears, and I felt really bad for him, because he was just doing his job.

When I asked her about it later, she said she didn't like the colors they had and therefore had no intention to buy at all. I told her she should have just told them she was test driving, so as not to have wasted thirty minutes of our time, as well as the poor salesman, who I hope didn't get fired because of this. I really thought she was going to buy it when we went in.

As for closure on that story, in case you're wondering, she bought a camry at a different dealership even further away (about a 40 minute drive on the freeway, vs the 15 min street driving at the first dealership), and didn't haggle the price at all, so ended up paying more (I think it was at least $1500) than if she had simply bought the one she haggled for and put up with the color. She got a coupon for a free oil change, but I think that was all she got.

Now I'm not saying that dealerships don't try to con people at some things, especially the stuff the F&I person tries to sell, such as the extended warranty. But after what my sister did, I definitely wouldn't waste a salesperson's time by haggling if I have no intention of buying a car whatsoever even if they meet my price demand.

And reading the stuff on there will definitely make it easier whenever I do need another vehicle. I know I don't want them to screw me (too badly anyway), but at the same time I won't go in with an unrealistic offer either, like demanding they sell a new car with an MSRP of $25k for $17k. I'll look at the invoice and use that as a starting point. Hopefully the dealership will too, and we can reach an agreeable price without all the headaches.

5. pmike

pmike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I will never understand people issues with color and perceptions (minivan or hybrids). I wanted the pearl white (like the color and very visible - Blizzard Pearl) and she wanted the blue (pretty color - Nautical Blue Metallic). I said I wanted a visible color and didn't care which as long as it wasn't dark so we ended up with red (Barcelona Red Metallic). We both hated the Sea Glass Pearl but if it were cheaper that's what we would have ended up with.

6. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, color doesn't bother me at all, so long as it's not a really odd one, like yellow-green or neon purple. My mom told me not to get a red car, because of the myth that red cars get pulled over more by cops. Though I did get pulled over in my civic, which was red, he let me go with a warning, and I think I was just unlucky because everyone else was driving 70 on the freeway that morning. Was late to my first class at college, but at least I didn't have to pay a speeding ticket.

I never got pulled over in my red Prius c, though I think it's because I drove just slightly over the speed limit, and more often than not, a lot slower (pulse & glide, though only if no one was right behind me).

Of course, in the case of the c, it was because that was all they had left. I wanted the blue one I saw on the dealer's website, but they sold it to a guy the day before, who then showed up while I was there buying the red one. And while I liked the white c they had, I didn't want to deal with how it would look when salt and snow get on it in the wintertime. Not that any car looks pretty with that stuff, but on a white car it really stands out.