1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Insight gets better MPG than Prius???

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by bighouse, Nov 14, 2009.

1. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  2. klide

klide New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I strongly agree with two of the entries regarding the Insight--(1) that there is about a $4k difference in amount I was willing to pay, and (2) that if you are anything close to 5'10" or above, you do not want to be in the back seat of an Insight.

Unlike others, I found the Insight to be very strong in acceleration, and I enjoyed the sporty build and ride. I am only able to achieve similar acceleration in my Prius using the "Power" button. However, when it came down to value and long term satisfaction, the Prius far outweighed the Insight in features--sun roof, high-quality stereo, storage space, quality of build, smoothness of ride, ....

3. deltron3030

deltron3030 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    this is for any insight owners:

I test drove 2 insights at 2 different dealers and i noticed that when braking and coming to a complete stop, theres a moment at about 5mph where the brakes feel like they "let go" on both cars. its a little scary, but not the end of the world or anything.... is this something you find/feel as well? or did i get a couple oddball units?

1 person likes this.
  4. Econ

Econ Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I owned the 2010 Insight for three months and it never actually did any where near 60mpg Top off to top off my best was 47.9. The cabin gauges tell a different story.

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Good luck because IMA need a separate transmission like non-hybrids. For the HSD, eCVT and the hybrid system are as one.

IMA adds complexity on top of the non-hybrid. HSD on the other hand simplifies everything. Ever wonder why the Prius hood is shorter than the Civic hybrid?

2010 Insight and Prius hood look about the same (ratio-wise) but Prius has 1.8l ICE but the Insight only has 1.3l.

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The Insight was based on the Fit and it is available without the hybrid system. It also starts $5k less. Did you consider the Fit?

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The same amount of power is available in all modes; you just have to push harder on the gas pedal.

Tom

8. moss

moss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I test drove the Fit & Insight back to back. I didn't like the Fit because -
    1. Ugly - Too high & when sitting inside it feels Huge. Felt like I was in a mini van.

2. No tilt/telescoping wheel.

3. No seat height adjustment. I have a finicky back & need these adjustments.

4. Hard to get a good deal on one. I can't remember the exact numbers, but the Insight isn't a whole lot more comparing real world prices paid ($2k or less).

They rode similar. Insight was quieter, & had less spongey brakes.

9. bciesq

bciesq New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm not sure I'd use "gear head" in this context. Perhaps "tech geek" is more apt. I'm a card carrying member of both camps, BTW, so I use neither term disparagingly. I draw the distinction because other than simple maintenance and bolt on mods, I can't see myself performing any serious wrenching on the Prius.

Actually, I purchased the 1st gen Insight in order to scratch my gear head itch. Outside of the IMA, the car is remarkably simple. Solid lifter valves that are adjusted manually, a simple non-drive by wire throttle, and in my case, a 5 speed manual transmission. I was able to install a cruise control on the Insight and my long term goal is a TDI transplant. I don't see me attempting a similar project on the Prius.

I don't mean to be pedantic, but as an old VW guy who has recently jumped into the hybrid pool, I'm still trying to adjust to the vibe. The population here on PC seems to be very enthusiastic and informed in terms of being an end user, but I'm not seeing much in the way of gear head "what if" projects. That's not a slam, just an observation. Perhaps Toyota just "got it right" and the need for mods is lower.

I totally agree about the "cult" status for the I1 and the market niche problem for the I2.

Finally, props to Moss for crossing over and defending his choice without starting a flame fest.

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You might take a look at Ecomodder.com, 'tech heads', non-specific to any vehicle. They have a good collection of folks who turn a wrench on anything to improve mileage. Also, one of the best Prius archives can be found at the YahooGroup, 'Prius Technical Stuff.' It is first-post moderated but the files, photos and message archive goes back to 2000.

Bob Wilson

11. moss

moss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think what you were experiencing was the engine cutting off for auto stopping. The engine helps out a lot with slowing the car when coasting for regen (something that's taken me awhile to get used to coming from a manual). Therefore when the engine quits you rely entirely on the brakes for a second & there's much less drag. It reminds me of braking when coasting in neutral compared to braking with the transmission in gear with my old manual.
    This is something you quickly get used to & can modify with longer and slower braking. If you need to brake hard the car will come to a complete stop & a split second later it will autostop, so no "let go" feel in that circumstance.
    Thanks for letting me know of this, so I can warn others when they drive my car.

1 person likes this.
  12. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is the Insight a good buy at $3K less than Prius? Close to $18K right now, with the Honda incentive, vs $21K for Prius (AAA internet price).

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's almost certain that the Insight would be a LX which is really stripped down. You can take Hybrid Cost Analysis - Newsroom : Our Point of View Post / Toyota FWIW.

14. Econ

Econ Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I know it will not get 60mpg. Perhaps she drives down hill all day? and maybe the instruments could read that..... by the way mine were off by 4mpg to real top off calculations. I tried to love the Insight.... I own two other HONDA CRVs and they are of good quality and reliability. Believe me. the Insight was the biggest mistake I have made in my life. Fortunately, I was able to get out of it just edging suicide mode...ie depreciation cost.....
    I am very happy with the Prius. It is like a poor mans Lexus.( which I have two Lexi.)
    I wish all Insight owners all the best. Honda is in trouble with the 2010 Insight. Remember the old story, you get what you pay.

15. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The LX comes with most things except cruise and traction/stability control. It even has keyless entry. Tonneau cover costs $150.
    The EX has the cruise and traction/stability for $1500 more.

Stability control came with my 08 Prius as a cheap $200-300 option.
    I understand it is part of a more expensive option now.Traction is standard.

My feeling is price is a more overriding factor here. My Prius is probably better than the Insight, but the price is attractive and there are many happy Insight owners.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't buy it. the first excerp, the guy says he's trying to keep the engine from firing up. was he standing still? i understood the honda only uses the motor for power boost?

17. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Competition is a good thing and raises the bar for both Toyota and Honda. Why is the EPA rating the Honda at 40 MPG if it is actually delivering 60? Aren’t the rating numbers, at least partly, based on reality?

18. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And they are probably small people. :)

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not really. since they changed the testing, mfg's have started designing their cars to the test. what you get in reality will depend on how you drive and the conditions you drive in. does she really get 60? there are prius owners getting 40 who have a hard time believing others are getting 60.:rolleyes:

20. Econ

Econ Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    You are correct. I always had to be careful to allow for those brakes.
    The engine helps slow the car and when the engine stops the brake pressure must be increased to stop where committed. My wife also had a couple of close calls with the "let go" situation.