1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inspect very carfully before purchasing!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Toy08, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Toy08

Toy08 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Re: 2008 Prius leans to the left

The left to right side difference is mostly on the rear of the car, not the front. So the transaxle, motors, steering mechanism, etc would not be the main cause of this problem.

I am going to look at the rear suspension this weekend to see what could be causing this issue. I want to see if it could be a strut, torsion bar or frame issue.

I don't see the left lean issue on every Prius, but I have seen at least 10 in the last 3 weeks.

2. Toy08

Toy08 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Inspect very carefully before purchasing!

My new Prius was only 1 months old when I noticed that the car was leaning to the left side with the car completely empty. Had I noticed this before I purchased, I would have never bought the car. Now Toyota says that the ½†is within their acceptable limits and will not correct the issue. See the attached picture and let me know what you think. :confused:

More info at the following Thread: "2008 Prius leans to the left"

Attached Files:

• Doc1.doc
      File size:
      599.5 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      59.1 KB
      Views:
  3. Platypus

Platypus New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

Could be an intentional method for dealing with the crowning of roads... no? not buying that one? :D

I'd be interested to see if a right-hand drive also leans to the left.

-EDIT- Had to go out and check mine and it sits dead level in relation to the ground (level concrete pad in the garage, car is level from the license plate brackets, front and rear). Perhaps the different suspension components in the touring edition help w/ the uneven weight distribution of the drive-train?

4. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Odd, but if it doesn't affect handling and it is only a 1/2" over the length of the car I wouldn't say that it is that out of the ordinary. I would check that 1/2" though. Maybe yours is more. It may also work itself out as the suspension settles in. Haven't heard about this before and can't imagine it is any different than what may occur in any car.

5. cephas

cephas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No, it doesn't matter, they have to fix it.
    Go to another dealer.

6. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why do you need to post two threads on the exact same topic in the same day? As you have already been told, the "lean" doesn't impact anything. I would go as far as to say that it's quite common. Take some deep breaths and move on. There are things in this world far more worth your energy than a little asymmetry.

7. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited

I just went out to our parking lot and surveyed the dozen or so Priuses. About 2/3 were leaning to the left and the other 1/3 were level. I did one more check and realized that the 1/3 that were level are all touring models.

8. Tdoff1

Tdoff1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

....now that Toyota is in NASCAR, this is done to stagger the cars and set them up for left hand turns at the super speedways.......:car:....the 2009's will be set up especially for the road courses..........:bounce:

9. Toy08

Toy08 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Although this thread it is on the same topic as my other thread, I wanted to warn people that are about to purchase a new Prius to look closely before they close the deal. It may be easy for you to say move on, but do you have a leaner? If not, you have no room to talk. The lean is very noticeable and I shouldn’t have to put up with it. If I wanted a car that leaned, I would have bought an old car. And how do you know that the lean doesn’t impact anything, it can’t do any good in a panic right hand turn. The car only has 5K miles, what will happen when the car has 100K?

This is the first time I have ever posted anything in a forum. For years I have read many article and found them very helpful. Your comment was not helpful. I have seen these types of responses many times, why do people insist on belittling other peoples concerns? Are you a Toyota Rep?

10. Toy08

Toy08 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Read my other post: "2008 Prius leans to the left" There are many other Prius’s out there that have the same issue. My car only has 5K miles, would you expect this to happen to any other car so soon? The only other vehicles I see on the road that have issues like this are pickups that have been used for off-road.

11. penbed

penbed New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Oops-just lost my vote for post of the month.
    (The first post)

12. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

The Prius does lean to the left, due to the weight of MG2. In Japan, the driver is on the right. So its less of an issue.

If you experience any handlinq quirks related to it, just pump of the left front tire a PSI or 2 more.

13. Toy08

Toy08 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

My wife said that she hadn’t noticed the issue on any higher end models, I guess this meant touring models.

This is very interesting. I will have to see what suspension parts are different on the touring model. Maybe I can upgrade a strut or torsion bar to get rid of the issue.

Thanks for the observation. :)

14. Toy08

Toy08 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    We have noticed that this leaning issue does not appear on the touring models. Any ideas why?

15. Toy08

Toy08 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

The touring model does not seem to have the same issue. Several others have noticed the same thing.

16. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The following string provides info on installing Touring suspension parts on non-Touring. However it does not appear to show required part numbers.
    http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-main-forum/41925-touring-suspension-parts-research-5.html

See post #50 of that string and take a look at the last picture in that post. It's not clear whether the two old springs have an identical height or not... Maybe this is why the non-Touring Prius tends to sag on one side.

17. Toy08

Toy08 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Thank you

18. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

Here's a theory.... people already noted that if a person sits in the passenger seat, the car evens out. Well, in the country of origin of the Prius, Japan, the driver sits on that side! Maybe it was done on purpose, and the Japanese are achieving higher mpg because their cars drive more level!

19. Ichiro

Ichiro Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

dude, why don't you post the picture directly. attaching it in a word document is annoyingly stupid.

20. Ichiro

Ichiro Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    why don't you sell your Prius now? It's obviously a big problem for you, and I am certain that you won't have any difficulty getting a good price for it, in spite of it.