1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inspection maintenance items - How To?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by evfanboy, Dec 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. evfanboy

evfanboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm looking at the 36K maintenance items and there are a few inspection items, listed below, that I do not have any insights. Specifically, I'm trying to understand "What" should one be looking for during the inspection and on some "How" to do these inspections.

1. Ball joints and covers
    2. Drive shaft boots
    3. Exhaust pipes and mountings
    4. Radiator, condenser and/or intercooler
    5. Steering gear box
    6. Steering linkage and boots

I've looked through the list of "Nutz About Bolts" videos and didn't come across anything that covers such inspections. I've done a search on Youtube as well and there are few videos on some of these line items for other brands / vehicles. Nothing comprehensive for a Prius/PIP. So, if someone can point me to any resource that cover these, that would be very helpful.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    LOL.even the dealers don't do these.:p

basically, your just looking for torn boots, lubrication leaks, loose mounting bolts, nuts and etc.

the toyota service manual may have comprehensive info.

one important thing is brake examination and lubrication. that, i would do, and there are write ups here.

all the best!(y)

QuantumFireball likes this.
  3. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Basically those are just visual inspections of under the car items. If you are taking it to the dealer ask him to give you a tour under your car and show you what they are looking for. They are professionals and should be glad to show you. It only takes about 5 minutes and not a big deal for them. It takes them longer to get it on the lift than it does to do the inspection. I never took my 2008 back except for recalls in ten years and all those items were fine except for loosing a drivers side strut.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Every car we've had over the years, all Honda up till now, has had a similar inspection list. If they really want mechanics to do this, there should be a specific step-by-step instruction in the Shop Manuals (Honda) or Repair Manual (Toyota. It should list each inspection item, explain what/how to inspect it, and supply info needed, torque specs's if they're to be checked, for example.

The one area I've seen that does have a decent description is the brake inspection, that's imperative, and does get done. The rest of it: if the car hasn't been in an accident, a quick visual check is all it is, if that.

5. evfanboy

evfanboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks. I was hoping there was something from Toyota on this front for DIY folks. Oh well, I'll dig through YouTube videos at least for some of these inspections to get a better understanding. E.g. For Ball Joints:

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that should cover it. make sure you address the caliper slide pin lubrication. not sure if nutz has a video or not.

#6 bisco, Dec 31, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    He does ;).

bisco likes this.
  8. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    36K Miles is a good time for the first transaxle Fluid replacement.

Raytheeagle likes this.