1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inspection Question: OBD Result - FAIL

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by hkd, Dec 20, 2011.

1. hkd

hkd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just bought a 2006 Prius (a private transaction) and went to get it inspected in Washington DC. The system kicked out at negative test result: "OBD Result: Monitors Not Ready: Evaporative System, Oxygen Sensor." Reading between the lines of what the Inspector told me, it might not be a big deal to re-set the monitor. The official advice was to go to a mechanic and find out "how to drive the car in order to get the computer to re-set". Everything is easy when you know how. Does anyone here have an idea that would save me an inconvenient trip to a dealer out in the suburbs? Thanks - Hkd

fredmortensen likes this.
  2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You need to complete two OBD trips. Let the car warm up, then drive at 55 mph for 10 minutes. Shut off and repeat.

But this is a really bad sign, as it implies that the seller reset the check engine light just before you bought it.

1 person likes this.
  3. hkd

hkd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks very much. Kindly elaborate: what is the implication of the seller having reset the 'check engine' light?

4. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Such as, it has an EVAP leak or bad O2 sensor or catalytic converter or it sat too long and the 12V battery went dead.

2 people like this.
  5. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Hopefully the seller just did a clear for no specific reason. It, as Seilerts said, may indicate that the seller was hiding a problem with the car.

If no codes come back after driving for several trips, then any problem would likely be minor and you'll pass the retest.

JeffD

6. hkd

hkd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In this case I don't think the seller was being intentionally deceptive and, after taking Seilert's advice, the car passed inspection. Thanks very much - Hkd

7. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Cool. Sounds like it was just a fluke. Maybe they had just replaced the 12V battery too.