1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Install a Gen 1 hybrid battery in a gen 2 prius

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by JonnyPrius, Jul 27, 2019.

1. JonnyPrius

JonnyPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I was recently given a 2005 gen 2 Prius with about 100 k miles on it. The car is in great shape other than the fact that the hybrid battery is toast. All the standard codes and a few bad cells. A gentleman i work with has donated to me a gen 1 hybrid battery from a car he is scrapping, approx 100k miles on the battery (was replaced at some point during the life of the car). What i am trying to find out, and this doesnt seem like something people generally do, is if i can adapt the gen 1 battery to the gen 2. Seems to me that the connectors are slightly different and the mounting. Nothing that i cant figure out on my own but....Has anyone out there tried this? Any posts out there i can reference? Again, i know that this is not a common thing to try but i am looking to try the free way before going and spending money. All thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

Thanks for looking

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

iirc, it's not the right voltage. if you're handy, why not learn how to upgrade the gen 2 battery with gen 3 cells?

mikey_t likes this.
  3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Although not an ideal solution, 28 of the gen 1 modules could be installed into the gen 2 case. The gen 1 modules are just a bit shorter in length, but it will work. There's even a thread on here somewhere where a person had a rebuilt battery installed in his Gen 2 and it ended up having Gen 1 modules in it. And that was from one of the big rebuild companies. Both Gen 1 and 2 modules are the same voltage, same capacity rating. The Gen 1 uses 38 modules, the Gen 2 uses only 28, causing the overall voltages to be different, but 28 gen 1 modules in a Gen 2 clamp/case will be the same voltage as an OEM pack.

bisco likes this.
  4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    While it's better than a dead pack, you'd be downgrading your packs lifespan and health if you were to successfully adapt it to fit a Gen2 chassis... If you like working on your car, it could be fun, but short-lived and then you'd have to make sure you can put a gen2 or 3 back on that modified Gen2 chassis in if you're luck a year from now... If I were you I'd put time into rebuilding the gen2 battery you already have and forget about the gen 1 pack... If you'd like details on how to rebuild, we're working on a sticky post about that, but in the meantime I could walk you through it if you want to go in that direction?

5. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You got the car for free, you got the battery for free, I say go for it. If you need to rebuild the battery down the line at least you have some experience.

Smurf-k likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    (y)