1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Install aftermarket pioneer AVH-8400BH into 2008 JBL CD changer w/ nav and w/ Bluetooth

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by mstewa21, Apr 23, 2012.

1. mstewa21

mstewa21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello all,

This is my first thread and post to PriusChat. Lets hope it helps.

I have a 2008 Prius 4 (i believe) could be a 3, that doesn't really matter. It has the factory JBL 9 speaker w/C CD changer and navigation and bluetooth.

I want to Install pioneers new AVH-8400BH multimedia double din system in place of the stock JBL CD changer. I have installed many of radios and sound systems into a variety of cars, but never, to what seems a bit complicated, prius. I guess I've only worked on simple American made vehicles that were not a problem (pop out the stock radio, crimp some wired together and bam, the new aftermarket is in). I'd rather not go to an installer when I'm pretty sure I could install it as long as i know what i need.

So what I would love someone to tell me and possibly explain to me and if you're feeling a little crazy show me where to get the parts I would need to install this pioneer product into my Prius. i need to know:

1. What wire harnesses do I need (including steering wheel control, Parking break bypass)?

2. Will i be able to use the aftermarket Bluetooth instead of the stock radio (but still use the microphone the stock Bluetooth uses) ? Is there specific steps i need to take in order to make this happen?

3. Will the air conditioning and the navigation along with the other displays still work properly once I have the Pioneer installed? or do i need to do something to make sure everything else still works?

4. What double din installation kit is the best for this vehicle/item?

Thank you all in advance, hopefully you can help me with this!

2. Kutanks

Kutanks Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I want to do a similar thing with my 2004. Only instead of removing the factory radio im gonna leave it in the dash and install the new head unit in the cubby underneath. I also have the JBL package. I see on best buys website that theres a harness that allows you to plug an aftermarket radio into the factory amp? anyone tried this? I really don't want to spend the money and time to rewire the car and buy a new amp for my mids/ highs.

3. ajtozzi

ajtozzi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    PAC TATO allows you to retain the JBL system without rewiring the entire car.

4. dianeinreno

dianeinreno Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am about to do the same thing as you but with a 4400BH system. I have all the parts and harnesses - just waiting for a good weekend - probably this weekend.

You seriously need to so some forum searching and every one of your questions will be answered and then some ! I spent probably 2 hours reading posts in this Priuschat about the subject and now and very confident I can do the install with no prob. Seriously, spend the time and do the search - I'll give a few quick answers based on my searching but you'll need to flesh them out with a lot more reading - FYI

You're going to need a metra 71-8113 harness, a metra ASWC steering wheel control, a metra TYTO- 01 amp to interface into the JBL system, a parking brake bypass for the 8400 can be found on Amazon (just search for it - you'll find tons of them), and a scosche Scosche 010TA2103B for the double DIN adapter. I got all the above on Amazon.

Yes but you will have to reconnect the stock bluetooth mic. Search for the steps to take.

Yes they will still work as before. The scosche double din kit kit has a harness with the needed resister mod to do this already installed.

The scosche is the only kit I was able to find that did double din correctly - plus it has the needed resistor mod already attached to the harness that comes with it.

dj feitl and mstewa21 like this.
  5. mstewa21

mstewa21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you for all of this info. I've definitely been searching hard all over this forum for the answers to my questions. Most have been answered and you were alot of help as well.

But what are the pros and/or cons between the metra TYTO- 01 and the Pac TATO?

and
    What about the Metra ASWC vs. the Pac SWI-PS? Will they support climate control and/or end/pick up call buttons on the steering wheel as well?

I feel that these are the last few questions i have before I get to ordering and installing.

Thanks

6. mstewa21

mstewa21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four

which works better the PAC TATO or the Metra TYTO?

7. ajtozzi

ajtozzi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Both the ASWC and SWI-PS will now do BT commands. Make you the unit you buy has the latest firmware as these are recently added features (commands).

Worst case the ASWC can be force programmed to do basically any function that Pioneer will allow via remote jack input (which is a lot of functions).

For the bypass visit AVIC411.com no additional parts are needed.

8. mstewa21

mstewa21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    "You're going to need a metra 71-8113 harness, a metra ASWC steering wheel control, a metra TYTO- 01 amp to interface into the JBL system, a parking brake bypass for the 8400 can be found on Amazon (just search for it - you'll find tons of them), and a scosche Scosche 010TA2103B for the double DIN adapter. I got all the above on Amazon."

Are you sure that the "metra 71-8113 harness" will fit a 2008? A few sites say that it will only work for years up to '06 and then others say from year 2000 and up? are you sure this will fit my JBL prius?

9. dianeinreno

dianeinreno Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you checked the metra online site yourself? Because that would give the definitive answer.

10. ajtozzi

ajtozzi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The 71-8113 doesn't work on Gen III cars.

11. dianeinreno

dianeinreno Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The poster has an '08 - a Gen II

12. ajtozzi

ajtozzi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Then yes, it works :)

13. mstewa21

mstewa21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Will the navigation voice cease after this install? The bluetooth wont matter because it is being replaced anyway.

Any help would be great! Thanks

14. mstewa21

mstewa21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Isn't the Metra 71-8113 harness the same as the harness connected to the car (what plugs into the factory unit)?

I just feel like I am missing a few things. I believe there are 3 plugs going into the back of the stock unit (correct me if im wrong):

1 plug is for the Metra Tyto for the amp.
    2 plug is for the ASWC steering wheel controls (which i think i have to connect to the individual wires on the #2 plug by crimping them together).

and i believe you are telling me that the 718113 is the 3rd plug that connect to the car plugs. But, from the research i've done it seems that both the 718113 and the car plug are both female plugs and they cannon connect to each other....

please help me out on this final question I have.

15. dianeinreno

dianeinreno Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've just done the install. I used the appropriate Metra harness. It works.

There are a great many threads here that detail the installation process and have many pictures. On page 2 of this forum you will find the thread "How To: Upgrade Head Unit (Kenwood eXcelon DNX6960)" and using the search function you will find many more.

It's not plug and play with the harness you will have to solder wires together (about a little over a dozen) and/or use butt connectors and a crimping tool (I soldered and used shrink tubing) . If you're not comfortable with that you should seriously consider getting it professionally done. It will cost under $200 to get it installed professionally.

Just go through those threads and read them . It's what I did and it made the install a snap. There's really nothing I can add to the already excellent threads here that already really detail the process. Good luck.

16. djstl_atl

djstl_atl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    this seems a little difficult. was it very expensive?

17. mstewa21

mstewa21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It hasn't happened yet. I'm trying to tie up a few loose ends that I don't know about yet. Mainly just one thing (the Nav audio guidance). I need to make sure I can connect the appropriate wires together to make sure the stock Navigation audio works.

I'll try to post my install up here when I eventually do it. The systems with JBL and NAV are definitely different than others but some people, like on this thread think it is the same and just think, "do what they do." will work.

Ill let you know

18. Chiru

Chiru Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2. Will i be able to use the aftermarket Bluetooth instead of the stock radio (but still use the microphone the stock Bluetooth uses) ? Is there specific steps i need to take in order to make this happen?​
    Yes but you will have to reconnect the stock bluetooth mic. Search for the steps to take.
    I tried searching for this and have not found anything yet. It would be great if someone who knows it can be done post a link or some details.
    Thanks - Chiru

19. Kutanks

Kutanks Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I replaced my radio last weekend and then went on a roadtrip of about 75 miles from Boston to Southern RI. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the navigation voice still worked.

20. Chiru

Chiru Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    that's great news. can you describe your vehicle and the parts you used and any detail would help a lot.
    thanks - chiru