1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Install help for rear bumper protector

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by yam, Sep 3, 2009.

1. yam

yam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I ordered the rear bumper protector from the priuschat store. I've received the protector but no installation instructions or mounting template. The bumper protector has mounting tape on the back and I guess I'm just supposed to eyeball it and attach it very carefully. Any tips on how to get it aligned properly? I'd imagine the mounting tape will allow me exactly one chance to get it right.

2. Fussion101

Fussion101 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can use a mixture of soap/water and spray it on the surface so that you can shift it around.

3. yam

yam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds like a good idea. How much soap, and what kind?

4. Fussion101

Fussion101 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    hard to say....the more soap you use the longer it takes for the glue to set. Any soft soap would do for example simple green and j&j baby shampoo

5. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    before you get anything wet... you mean the hard plastic or the clear bumper protector?

6. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Won't the soap/water spray interfere with adhesion?

I'm used to the opposite - being instructed to wipe the car surface with alcohol beforehand so as to promote adhesion.

To center the bumper protector, I'd measure and mark the center point of the protector and line that up with a center reference on the car (open the hatch and you'll have a couple of center references to choose from).

7. yam

yam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is the black hard plastic protector for the rear bumper

8. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    do what Boo said

9. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There's a rib dead center on the protector. The latch is at the center of the opening. I just eyeballed it up and stuck it down. But YMMV.

10. yam

yam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I found the center rib but I'm a bit worried about laying the protector down 100% perfectly and not being able to adjust it.

11. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Your making it as lot harder than it is. I just eyeballed mine and it worked out fine. Yes, I'm sure the foam tape will give you one shot, but if you mess up, go by any craft store and buy a roll of 3M foam tape and then you get many shots at it. I'm sure removal won't be easy, but I'm also sure it can be done without causing damage.

12. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I actually half stuck mine without pressing it down hard and was able to lift it off once and try again. I know you're nervous, but it's really not that big a deal. And as a64 pointed out, it is ordinary body shop double-stick tape (I wouldn't recommend the craft store version) that can be bought at any auto parts store if you mess up.

13. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not one to yell up to the guy on the ledge, "Jump!"

But in the case of you and your bumper protector, I think you should just do it.

14. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I might add that if you're really that worried about it, perhaps discretion is the better part of valor in this case. Take a run down to your local body shop, drop them a few coins, and let them stick it on for you. At least that way you won't end up kicking yourself if you don't like the way it comes out.

15. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So agree with the "Just Do It" folks here.

I ordered the Prius applique as a Port Option. When I first looked at my prepped car at the dealer - the black protector was installed. I wasn't happy. The sales rep and CS rep peeled it off - rip - rip - rip. I was at the front of the car checking that out, went back, and the top bumper finish was just perfect. Since then my applique came in and has been installed. Happy camper.

I installed a black bumper protector on my Lexus RX years ago. Here's what I did.

1. Open hatch. Put a piece of masking tape down to mark the very center of the lower hatch moulding just ahead of where the protector will go.

2. Measure the protector side<>side and put a masking tape piece on the very top center. These two tape center pieces should match up when placing the protector down.

3. Put protector down on the top bumper in the correct spot. Place some masking tape pieces on the bumper around the perimeter of the protector.

4. Clean off the bumper finish well with the prep.

5. Carefully peel off the tape plastic covering strips.

6. With a friend, flip it over each holding one side and the top center - lightly place the protector straight down so the middle tape marks match while bending/holding the sides up a bit. Slowly lower each side aligning to the tape pieces - no down pressure on the protector yet.

7. When satisfied with the positioning, press down on all areas.

8. Stand back and smile.

Just Do it.

1 person likes this.
  16. jayvee

jayvee Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just put one of these on mine.

First, no soap/water solution. That's for plastic film applique.

The hardest part I found (which really isn't that hard at all) was getting it pushed snug against the area where the bumper slopes downward. I also recommend marking the edges with masking tape as DeanFL suggested. And do a good job cleaning the bumper first.

Here's how I did it, a little trick I learned as a kid, applying plastic model and R/C airplane decals::)

1. Cut a slit in the center of each tape, so that the backing can be peeled off in two pieces instead of one.

2. Peel back each backing strip (4 of them now), from the center, about 1-2", and fold the backing up and around the edge of the protector, so that you'll be able to "slide" it out from underneath the protector once you lay it down. Tape it temporarily to the top side of the protector, if you need to.

3. Now, gently set the protector in place, the edge closest to you (the rear edge of the bumper) first, using some pressure to push it against the "downward slope" edge of the bumper.

4. Slowly peel away the backing, sliding it out from underneath the protector, working toward the outer edges. Don't apply much pressure to the top of the protector - it will make pulling the backing out more difficult.

5. As you work toward the outer edges, continue to check for alignment. If it isn't straight, you've only attached some of the adhesive, and you can pull it off easier and start over, even "re-attaching" the backing if necessary.

Once all backing is pulled out and you're satisfied with the fit, press it all down firmly.

If you discover later that it's not good enough, carefully peel it off (the heat from a blow dryer will help with this), and you can even replace the tape with the same 3M tape, that is available at Home Depot in the paint dept. Just get the heavy duty/outdoor tape - it has red backing, just like the protector's (it's probably the same stuff.)

This process worked great on mine. Hope it helps!

1 person likes this.
  17. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ^^^^^^this

this is the method to put the door molding on also

1 person likes this.
  18. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. But I would also strongly suggest using rectangular magnets or a batten to hold up and line up the door moldings accurately before pressing down on the tape.

If the 2 moldings on a side of the car are not on the exact same line (even if they're off by only one degree), sharp-eyed people will notice.

See this thread regarding the Gen II moldings, especially Rokeby's post:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...essful-body-side-moldings-installation-4.html

19. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    you only reveal just enough adhesive to hold it in place.

once stable you pull the strips on one side(equally) and then pull them on the other side(equally)

20. Bambam650

Bambam650 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Windex is also a good lubricant and should allow you to adjust the position before the glue adheres.