1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Install Tweeters in rear doors non-JBL?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by lateralus, Dec 28, 2012.

1. lateralus

lateralus New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi all,

I recently had most of the sound system in my 2010 Prius non-JBL upgraded. In short, I upgraded the head unit to a Pioneer touchcreen radio, replaced the front component speakers with Infinity Reference speakers, added a JL Audio 8" subwoofer in the back and am powering it all with an Alpine amp. The only thing I didn't do was upgrade the rear speakers and I'm thinking of moving the front speakers to the back and getting better speakers for the front. So my question is whether anyone has put components in the rear and installed the tweeters somehow externally on the rear doors OR has anyone had experience using component speakers without the tweeter. Thanks in advance!

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I put two-way coaxial Polks in the rear... and with good power to them, they perform well.

A separate tweeter up high would probably do better yet. I believe the JBL systems have a tweeter in the rear.

I would think leaving out the tweeter would really leave the rear lacking in overall quality.

3. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I have 2 way Polks in all four doors, orignal dash speakers and a Polk amp under the front drivers seat. Unless you drive in the back seat, no reason to go to componet speakers

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, the kids like to to watch DVDs and without the high frequencies provided back there it does not sound good at all. Guess it depends on the situation.