1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installation FIAMM EL GRANDE 74100 HORN Gen 4 Prius + VID SOUND

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by NguyenCB7, Sep 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. LDB

LDB Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I see it now. In a past lifetime I traveled the country for Fedex. I forget the exact name but just up the road in Ventura is a fish place on Seaward Avenue that was really good and interestingly had who knows how many hundreds of dollar bills stuck to the ceiling with customer comments on them. Farther up in Buellton was Pea Soup Andersen's, my other favorite place to eat out there.

2. RCE1

RCE1 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I did the Fiamm El Grande horn installation. Very pleasing results, although I did manage to lose the first "clip" I removed. Went right to the bottom of the engine compartment. Hope it doesn't cause a fire or hurt my mileage or anything...

Anyway, the passenger side was a bit difficult. I had some wiring in the way I didn't really want to unclip, so I had to work around it. Also, the 10mm factory fastener on the Denso horn felt like it was staked in there or something. Very hard to get it off, but perseverance and pliers won out. The driver's side was no problem at all. I used the factory brackets and the Fiamm fasteners. My local dealer gave me the clips for $1.21 and the parts department is open till 4pm (that's 16:00 to all you 24 hour types) on Saturday.

I'd recommend the upgrade to anyone.

xliderider, NguyenCB7 and krmcg like this.
  3. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well done. Way to stick to it.

4. Jorge L

Jorge L Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Last weekend I installed the El Grande 74100 horns.

Installation was a bit tougher than I was expecting, I had to remove the factory brackets because I couldn't remove the factory horns from them. My factory horns were not Denso, they were Maruko, the screws that this model uses are really hard to remove.

So I just used the brackets that came with the FIAMM horns. I'm happy with the results, Thanks for posting the instructions.

IMG_20160920_222210.jpg

5. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I STILL have cuts on my wrists. Which one of you guys told me to install new horns??? :ROFLMAO:

But, I like them. When I honk, the sound reminds me of the 1982 Oldsmobile Cutlass I had!!

NguyenCB7, RCO and xliderider like this.
  6. MichelleStone

MichelleStone Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'd love to replace the squeak toot with a HONK HONK. But I've had my car for five weeks now and the only time I've used the horn was to make sure it's in working order. It surprised the heck out of my dog.

RCO likes this.
  7. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I actually had to use my new horns for real, this morning. A little Geo Metro(?) coming out of a gas station attempted to pull right out in front of me. How can you NOT see a bright WHITE car coming, with bright LED lights! I missed her by about 3 feet. HONK! HONK! HONK! Olds Cutlass coming.... :eek::ROFLMAO:

RCO and krmcg like this.
  8. NguyenCB7

NguyenCB7 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I wonder why they are different.

9. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Deleted, ignore.

10. Terre

Terre New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That is a much better sounding horn. Thank you, great program you put out here for those wanting a different sounding horn. I just purchase a 2017 Prius (trim level 2) and I want a different horn than stock. Thank you for this post!

NguyenCB7 likes this.
  11. Harters

Harters Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Well I finally got around to upgrading my horns.... no more meep meep for me.

After recommendation and instruction from this post I ordered a pair of "FIAMM 74100 El Grande" horns and wow what a difference and as stated, truly plug and play.

Only took 30 minutes, most of that time was trying to get them positioned with enough of a downward turn to stop any water ingress. The wiring is quite tight and I didn't want to start cutting any ties to give a bit more slack. I am happy that they are going to be ok as it all seemed pretty clean an dry in that area anyway. I also had to fit them with the red facing out due to the wiring loom being so tight.

I used the original brackets that the Maruko horns were attached too which is good as removing the factory brackets looked as though it would be a bit tricky.

Ordered direct from Amazon.com for the brilliant price of £25.38 and due to its price there was no worry about duty as import fees are calculated at the check out.

I have put links to before and after below... [​IMG]

Before

After

emmbec, krmcg and RCO like this.
  12. 228Prius

228Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Resurrecting an old thread. Bought the Fiamm El Grandes, install was a breeze, but no horn after installation on my 2022. I had to use the included grounding straps that the Fiamm setup came with.

13. jw_teacher

jw_teacher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I plan on finally changing the horn in my car next month. Should I wear thick gloves for protection from potential electric shock when plugging and unplugging the wire? Sorry if it is a dumb question. I've had a bad experience with electric shock in the past!

EDIT: Also, I tried pushing in the clips to unlock the top cover but nothing happens. I'm sure I'm missing something.

#73 jw_teacher, Sep 6, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2023
  14. Harters

Harters Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    No risk of electric shock when I changed mine. The clips do not push in, the smaller centre piece partially pulls out, this then releases the tension on the fitting and it pulls out as one piece.

jw_teacher likes this.
  15. jw_teacher

jw_teacher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thank you! I will try again soon.

Harters likes this.
  16. Drakxyfly

Drakxyfly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Is there a difference version i cant find? I only found this version with a replay included and pos/neg terminals

17. Drakxyfly

Drakxyfly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE