1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installed a Gentex Homelink Auto Dim Mirror...then re-installed original

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by The Dude, Jan 29, 2013.

1. The Dude

The Dude Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yesterday afternoon I finished installing a Gentex Auto Dim mirror on my II and on my way home this evening, I noticed that it was absolutely NOT working. I've searched through the threads here and saw a bunch of people who had similar complaints of its lack of effectiveness. The mirror was hooked up correctly as I've done similar installs before and as others have stated, it has to be the rear wing area blocking the headlights.

I ended up re-installing the original "flip" mirror earlier and suffice to say, am not happy about the lack of effectiveness by the Gentex mirror. I drive here in Phoenix and there are many, many large trucks and SUVs that blind me each night so I had no choice but to put the old one back on. I liked the homelink, but will have to be content with the "opener" I have attached under the shifting column.

My question is, does anyone yet have a solution to this other than to place a tape over the front sensor or to flip it up-side-down? Really? This is the best Gentex and Toyota can do? Obviously, they've not tested the product in the Prius...before I re-installed the old one, I thought about putting tape on the front sensor, but changed my mind after realizing that summer will eventually make its way to Phoenix and temps of 130+ in the car will probably melt the adhesive on the tape and leave a mess on my II.

If anyone has a solution other than the tape and up-side-down methods, I'd appreciate some input!

Thanks,

The Dude

2. DaveC2007

DaveC2007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I installed mine and found the same issue. Turned it upside down and it works. I can still use the buttons for the garage door just fine.

Only way I see to fix the problem. Or you can buy a mirror that has the sensor in the top. Some of the older Gentex mirrors have the sensor on top but no homelink option. Search E-Bay.

3. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The OEM dimming rearview mirror was useless to me. You can add a broadway or razo wide angle mirror with flabeg coating - blue tint and non glaring. Way better than the OEM ones. Although the homelink button is not useable, the benefits outweighs the use of the homelink button. I just put my garage opener remote in the sunglass holder. Here's a picture of the mirror in my V five. No need to flip the mirror up or down - no adjustments needed.

Attached Files:

The Dude likes this.
  4. The Dude

The Dude Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's a great idea! I will look into that. I used to have an aftermarket mirror that attached directly over the stock mirror and remember it worked well.

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tint the rear window darker? With18% I don't really have a problem with most headlights.

sfv41901 likes this.
  6. The Dude

The Dude Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mine came tinted, but I don't know what % it is. Is there a way to tell?

7. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have mine tinted as well & have never been bothered by bright lights unless I look out the side mirror. For me the home link is nice to have.

When I had my gen2, I did this retro only for the home link. Yes the auto dim doesn't work & that's what tinted windows are for ;)