1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installed Cat Protector today

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Michael Mathis, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Michael Mathis

Michael Mathis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    With catalytic converter thefts increasing in South Florida, I had a Cat Protector installed today. The company describes it as "aircraft-grade aluminum." It arrives in what looks like an oversized pizza box with instructions and hardware. Most of the metal rivets fit existing plastic rivet holes on the dust shield. There is a little drilling.

I had a local Toyota/Lexus garage do the work since I don't have a handy six ton lift in my garage. They told me it would be $148; I told them the manufacturer said this is a half-hour job, and if that's your rate, I will have to go elsewhere. Suddenly the estimate dropped to $71 -- and they did the job in 15 minutes.

Cost for the shield is $160 and that includes tax and shipping. It arrived via UPS in three days, California to Florida. I checked with my Allstate insurance guy who said this kind of theft would definitely be covered. But since I'm moving to a condo with outdoor, ungated parking this Friday, I felt safer having the shield on the car. I don't want to start it up one morning and hear the God-awful roar of a missing converter.

Here's the link to the company I bought from. I recommend them ... Catalytic Converter Protection - GetCatSecurity

IMG_5575.jpg

2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Glad you had a plan going into see them, most would just eat the cost (y)

Threej, Pulse07 and Merkey like this.
  3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I put the same shield on our car as well, though I installed it myself. Definitely took a lot longer than 15 minutes lol.

Local news said 7 cat thefts occurred overnight in a municipal parking lot of government vehicles.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Or rather most on Prius Chat would use a jack and jack stands and not spend a penny on installation.

Priusjames likes this.
  5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I will pass the message on the people who lives in apartments that you said so, especially the ones who were told to buy a 12v trickle charger and had no outlet to plug it in parking lot after buying :LOL:

6. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DIY people who love working on their own cars can't live in apartments because of draconian rules... As for the 12v, if you know how to loosen some bolts the battery can actually be taken out of the car and brought inside to charge. Of course that probably is really confusing for you to hear, so don't try to make sense of it, just keep trolling.

Johnny Cakes likes this.
  7. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Any pro tips? Could you rate the difficulty?

Mendel Leisk and PriusCamper like this.
  8. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well, I had to buy a second set of jack stands, and a heavy duty rivet tool. Jack the front and rear lift points to my floor jacks maximum height, going front to rear, then repeat in increments so as not to put too much angle and side force on the stands.

Even then, I only had about 15 inches of clearance under the car. Not fun drilling the extra holes in the rails, and trying to muster enough leverage on the rivets tool handles to set the rivets.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd definitely ask my neighbor, who owns an auto repair shop, if I could use a lift at his business.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A 3-ton floor jack with good lift, plus 6-ton safety stands, would help, get you more room. Work safe too: I prefer more solid safety stand loc’s than the skittish scissor jack loc’s. Also, like to have a largish, incompressible tree trunk section under there, when practical.

Montgomery and Priusjames like this.
  10. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :LOL:

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I see Cap City Muffler shield is currently $160 USD to my Canadian address, with FREE shipping. Anyone who’s used that: opinions, caveats? In particular how was the install if you DIY’d?

I’m still on the fence though, with our low-use garage-stored 2010. And the 5th gen may show up, some day. Maybe. And will I be interested lol.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  12. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is the garage assessable to the home owners only?

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yup. And checked with ICBC (insurer): in the event of theft covered by comprehensive insurance, except for our $300 CDN deductible, and no rate increase.

Also, apparently no insurance discount for shield install. Think I’ll shelve it for now.

#13 Mendel Leisk, Jun 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  14. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The Gen4 / Prime shield works great:).

@The Critic installed a CCM shield at the same time on his Gen3 and found it rattled :cool:.

He switched it out to a Miller shield ;).

I told him to turn up the radio (y).

#14 Raytheeagle, Jun 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I installed a cat shield on my Prius v and eliminated the rattle by pulling down the center.

However, after about a year, I removed the shield and saw a minor 1/2 inch cavity in the shield from minor rubbing in the aluminum shield contacting the stainless steel catalytic converter.

I have totally eliminated the contact and now have at least 1/2 inch clearance by putting a few strategic bends in the shield and replacing it onto the car.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. alltherightpills

alltherightpills Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I installed the MillerCAT shield. Not my favorite thing I’ve ever done, but doable with 4 jack stands and 45 minutes or so.

Man, were my arms sore after that install. Drilling up into the frame while underneath the car was rough. An actual lift would’ve been great for this job! But hey, I never have to do it again.

17. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My experience with self installation pretty much matches your description above.

18. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Given the apparent hassle to install, the relatively low chance for theft, the potential for rattles , installation not influencing insurance rates, and the insurance coverage if there is a theft, I'm with Mendel Leisk. Of course, each person evaluates risk/reward individually and there is no "right" decision.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I prefer to install the cat shield deterrent, because the hassle of repairing and replacing the cat is much more than an easy cat shield installation.

Taking it down, bending it and replacing it took mo more than 20 minutes. It. however, could easily been done by the maker.

Then, a replacement might not be immediately available.

#19 Georgina Rudkus, Jun 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  20. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes the manufacturers are starting to address this... Meanwhile they recommend using a block of wood.