1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installed Coastal "Auto Door Lock" - um..

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by georgekessel, Aug 22, 2006.

1. georgekessel

georgekessel Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I installed the Coastal "Speed Lock" module over the weekend. It is supposed to automatically lock my doors when I reach 15km per hour.

It doesn't work properly - what happens is the moment I press power on my car, the doors lock. I have checked and rechecked the wiring multiple times.

I'm not sure if this is because I have a 2006 and maybe it wasn't tested on the 2006, or if I have a faulty module. I have emailed Coastal 5 times so far and left 3 voice messages with no response.

Maybe they are on holidays (hopefully).

Anyone else installed this speed lock on a 2006 yet?

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I had that happen on my 2005, but that was due to the BT override button I had installed. If it was off during power up, the doors locked.

3. georgekessel

georgekessel Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Aug 22 2006, 10:32 AM) [snapback]307622[/snapback]</div>
    I don't have that mod, but I do have the EV switch. Both the Coastal EV and the Speed lock tap onto the black/white wire on that same harness. I wonder if that could be the issue.

Sure wish Coastal would tell me :(

4. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ecojosh @ Aug 22 2006, 01:44 PM) [snapback]307630[/snapback]</div>
    I have the EV switch and the door lock from Coastal. No problem with both. My door lock kept locking the doors over and over while driving. Turned out I had not quite plugged the speed sensor wire into the wire tap all the way and it was making intermittent contact, purple wire I think. The black/white is the ground. Call Coastal if you can't find any problem - it may take a few tries to get through.

- Tom

5. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    That sounds right. In both cases it wasn't getting the right speed signal.

6. georgekessel

georgekessel Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Please confirm that you do have a 2006 Prius with the "newer" display?

I don't want to redo my connections without talking to Coastal first

I'll keep calling and calling...

7. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ecojosh @ Aug 22 2006, 03:45 PM) [snapback]307712[/snapback]</div>
    I have a 2006 with the "newer" dispaly. I have also installed the same kit in a 2005 Prius. Both kits, instructions, and installs were exactly the same. Watch out for the wires going to the right pins, I seem to remember more than one wire of the same color going to a t least the upper (cpu) connector. You have to be sure you get the -right- oarnge or purple wire.

- Tom

8. georgekessel

georgekessel Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom_06 @ Aug 22 2006, 02:22 PM) [snapback]307797[/snapback]</div>
    I checked again, I really do have the correct wires tapped as per his instructions & pictures.

Ugg....

9. vinnysca

vinnysca New Member

I just got a 2006 Prius and bought the Coastaltech auto lock module. I installed it and so far, it works fine. It locks all doors when I reach 15mph. I followed the installation diagram to the letter. Maybe you have a bad module?

10. Dion

Dion New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I also could not get my Coastaltech auto lock to work. I installed it three times. Nothing.

11. georgekessel

georgekessel Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dion @ Sep 6 2006, 02:16 PM) [snapback]315407[/snapback]</div>
    Good luck getting tech support dude. You'll probably just have to return it and hope they credit you or contact your credit card company :(

12. mike_m

mike_m New Member

This really upsets me that folks can't get support from Coastal. I have wanted to order both EV and Auto Lock, but 2 things concern me: 1) will I get it? and 2: what if I have a problem with it? Does anybody else mfg. these things? I have seen many threads on their customer service. Has anybody not ever received the merchandise? I really want to order, and trust them.

13. kuahinahina

kuahinahina New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mike_m @ Sep 6 2006, 06:50 PM) [snapback]315490[/snapback]</div>
    The best way to reach Coastal is by phone. If it goes to voice mail, hang up and try again. I've had good luck reaching Kelley this way on numerous occasions and she's helped me placed orders, changed orders and resolve a didn't-think-it-worked-but-installed-it-wrong issue. I have two orders in now and am comfortable ordering from them. Watch the back-ordered items -- they can be back-ordered forever! But if it's an "in stock" item, you should get it quickly.

Their over-all customer service seems to be improving (I think they've gotten some additional help), but nothing beats the direct approach.

14. Dion

Dion New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I did return the auto lock. They sent a new unit. Still no luck. My nav mod works OK.

15. pgirerd

pgirerd New Member

There are two purple wires: one on the front right and one nearer to the middle in the back (only one orange), the coastal instructions show the right front purple wire as the one to use. I installed the unit exactly as shown on the pictures (the written directions do not alert you to the fact that there are two purple wires but the picture has a clear view of the clip on the right hand purple wire and seems to be blurred [altered] near the wrong purple wire). All that said, I have triple checked the wiring and the unit does not work (2006 w/ NAV).

BTW, if you forget to turn off the car before unplugging the grey plug you will get the warning sign with the exclamation point and instructions that maintenance is needed (I did this, even thought the directions say in red not to do it). I was ready to go to Toyota to get it checked out when I decided to try disconnecting the + terminal on the battery for a while and then reconnecting. Ta da, it worked. I did lose my defeat of the annoying back up beep as it seems to have reset some minor functions while disconnected.

I have had an overall very annoying time with coastal. I will post details of this on the general board.