1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installed engine block heater..finally

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by just_older99, Oct 18, 2011.

1. just_older99

just_older99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well first i would like to thank green hokie for the awesome pictures and step by step of the install, but i ran into some problems.
    First i wanted to save some money and buy the ebh from local parts store(toyota here in hamilton ontario canada is $90 plus taxes) the parts store $60. so the ebh came with no thermal grease in the package, so i went to the local parts store and pick some up(you can also use dielectric grease). I already had my doubts cause everyone on this forum spoke of how theres came with grease, anyways my 2007 prius made its way up my car ramps and the project began. I thought i looked closely at his pictures but i tried to install the ebh in the bogus hole that only 1 other person on this site tried as well. I felt like an idiot, the ebh was just too long for that fake hole by a quarter of an inch, it was all greased up and everything. oh well i made my down to my computer to look at green hokie's pictures again. i noticed in the really zoomed pictures what looked like the exhaust manifolds, so back under the car i went looked further up and there it was. using my left arm which was easier due to 20 years of tennis with my right arm i found the hole with fingers, pretty easy to find just like he said so i was ready for the practise run. feeling around the hole and surrounding area i thought man its pretty tight up there for this 5'' ebh from my local parts store to fit but i tried, man an hour went by this thing was not fitting, its too big it has to be the wrong part,i tried one more time and the ebh slipped out of my fingers and fell... where you ask i have no clue. i heard it hit something cast iron but i couldnt see anything, i used mirrors, lights but it was gone. it must of fell on the other side of the transmission or something but it didnt fall back to the ground. so back to the computer. i began calling local toyota dealers here in hamilton and surrounding area for help, finally one had it in stock. i asked him to describe it to me and wow what a difference. the factory ebh was almost 1.5'' shorter and a 90 degree connection which makes total sense. so since i lost the other one i could not get my money back, i went to toyota and ordered it and it came the next day.i opened the box and there was this short ebh with a 3 prong connecter as apposed to the 2 prong from the local auto parts, it was wrapped with some heat shield foil for the first 2' came with ties and grease. back up the ramps the prius went took and hour to get it in and tied just like green hokie had done. so i spent $170 all together, what i want to say too anyone who is about to do this instal buy a "toyota" prius block heater not one that will fit ford, chevy and toyota like the one they gave me from the parts store. i just wanted to share this story and say thanks for the amount of information on this site. ciao

LeeD and dhanson865 like this.
  2. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Wow, good message, poor formatting.

Thanks for taking the time to share though, it'll probably save someone some grief.

3. Jimbonh

Jimbonh New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Installed engine block heater too.

I installed my EBH today and can’t say enough about the help I received from previous posts on this forum. Using the “raise the car†method I was able to find the proper location by feel and complete the installation in about forty - five minutes. I was worried about taking off all the stuff necessary for a “top†installation.

Here’s some advice:

Jack - up the vehicle enough - I used a floor jack and jack - stands to get about twelve inches of clearance to bend my arm along the right axle.

Dry fit the element first - my Prius is a 2005 and I was worried about debris in the hole, test fitting smoothed out any rough spots.

Leave a section of the element free of thermal grease - this prevents air from being trapped while it is inserted.

Take your time inserting the element - once you have grease on the element you have to hold it by the retaining clip while inserting. All this has to be done blindly.