1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installed JL Audio and AVP-P8400BH

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by drew935, Jun 4, 2012.

1. drew935

drew935 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Installed this setup in one of my client's car - Gen 3 package 2, which is not the typical kind of work that I do.
    Pioneer AVH-P8400BH hu, JL Audio amp, 6.5" components, crossovers, and 6.5" 2-way speakers.
    This is a pretty cool hu with the ability to mixing songs together. Hooked up the Pac TR-7 for the brake bypass and ASWC but still need to troubleshoot this. Hush mat was used and we will still fully cover the doors and remove the plastic covering on the next run. All in all, 35hrs later, it's about 98% done. This not for the faint of heart if you want to upgrade the standard audio system. :rolleyes:
    The front crossovers were a pain to mount in it's location. Amp is mounted under the pass. seat. 12" JL Audio sub on the trunk floor and the box was made by a stereo shop. ;)
    All the diagrams and pictures posted by others helped make this install easier! Thanks guys :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#1 drew935, Jun 4, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  2. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    What trim/bezel did you use face plate.

3. drew935

drew935 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Metra Turbokit #95-8226B for the dashkit
    I'm not sure what brand radio harness I used but here's the pn#TAF-1761A which is for the the standard non JBL setup

4. PriusWiLL

PriusWiLL New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    what year is your client's car

5. has been

has been vote for anyone except Trump

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Drew - looks like an xlnt install and fine pics as well.
    Seen the little buffer-guy icon @ AG
    Does the new unit sit back/have a different angle at screen to be possibly better with glare?
    Looks like some sound mat product in trunk?
    Trunk sound deadening helpful with tunes/road noise/both?

6. drew935

drew935 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks guys. This is an MY10.
    The unit does sit back a lil bit and does not angle down more. I could play with that if the owner wanted it. He thought it was good to him. We sat back and watched a bit of the movie Safe House on it and it almost didn't make a difference. The clarity is really good on this hu. I was very impressed!
    I'll ask him if there is any glare since I saw it in sunset and in the night.

As for the trunk, I call it my Mythbusters project lol.
    The Hushmat brand was used for sound deadening. It is very pliable and way better than what I have seen with the other stuff. You don't have to heat it up and if you miss or mess up, you just pull back off or move it with your fingers.
    The owner didn't want the rattle of the vibrations which is what the hush mat will do for you. The doors will get a full cover treatment next with the plastic to be removed.
    I guess it helped with road noise but I couldn't tell on the freeway since I had the stereo blasting for awhile when I was driving it back. The car drove better then I thought compared to our MY08.

I'll get you guys more pics next time.
    If you guys have the non-JBL system in the car, I'll tell you that the speakers are truly the crapiest that I have seen for stock speakers. I would say upgrade those but you may need an amp as well as the system does not put out much wattage.
    I have pics of the crappy speakers if you want them ;)

7. has been

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'd be curious as to what they look like (dog s**t OEM spkrs that is)
    I'm thinking old spkrs out, some amp of some sort, new spkrs in.
    Minimal upgrade.
    Don't need as much as you youngsters for bass I'm not much on the hip-hop and new pop thump, just tired of the non-existent rears in my MY12.
    --don't get the wrong idea...not a stranger to the 11 notch on the volume knob.

8. drew935

drew935 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Lol Has Been. I'm not much into the stereo systems. They've come a long way from what I used to buy.
    Here are some pics. Brace yourself for the crappiness.
    As you can see. They are one piece and riveted. :rolleyes:
    Rears:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I cut the whole thing out to use it as a mounting adapter. Typically these are separate pieces and screwed to the door.
    [​IMG]

Front doors:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I bought 1/8" ABS plastic from Tap Plastics which cost only $5
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I cut out the squawkers as well to use as mounting brackets.
    [​IMG]

Let me know if you need any other help or advise ;)

9. has been

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    appreciate the effort
    the pics are xlnt ref
    once again xlnt work
    finshed that red car with Coll845?

10. drew935

drew935 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks Has Been. Glad to help you out.
    Yes, LSP is C845. Car was purchased used and it was a mess. Full of swirls and RIDS.
    It's a company car for the owner and he will be wrapping it with his advertisment.
    Client was satisfied for a 50% correction to make it shine better in the sunlight. ;)

11. has been

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    sweet.
    as I'm new to the detail game I'm always curious as to results per amount of steps/product.
    the iron cut product is pretty impressive.

12. kumatae

kumatae Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    makes me want to change out the speakers myself. i know my wife could careless, but looking at how crappy they are, i might make it a weekend project one of these days. btw, the screen is almost impossible to look at when it's sunny. i was surprised to see that they don't have a brightness setting on the deck.

question about the oem speakers and using them as a mount. they were riveted so do you just use any metal screw that fits to mount it back to the door??

quick question about detailing, i bought a dewalt dw849 thinking i would be doing a lot of polishing etc etc, but never really used it. i have backing plates but wondering what pads should i use? i know i know, i should have just bought the damm porter cable. i think i bought it to buff out the small scratches...

13. has been

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    there is a brightness and contrast adjustment (i believe) in setup on the display
    helps a bit but problem is basically the angle of the screen.
    there have been shades/visor/etc. made for previous years models and i'm sure it won't be long until there is one available for the gen 3.

makes me wanna move back to seattle so i can see my screen in the day after day grey and gloom.
    oh, wait....i'm not movin' back to that crap.
    who'm i kidding.

14. kumatae

kumatae Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'll have to check it out. A visor seems tacky and I don't think wife will approve. Funny how you mention Seattle, since it's been less than a year since I moved down to OC from Seattle (lived there for 20yrs)!

15. drew935

drew935 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I riveted them back on the door since I have the tool and rivets. Expect to spend some time on them if you don't have all of the right tools.
    I will be getting the car back tonight for more work. But the owner did say that it has lots of glare so I will readjust it tomorrow.

Dewalt is good but you need to know what you're doing. I have found that the Griot's 6" random orbital buffer is very user friendly for anyone. Is your buffer a rotary or orbital?
    Griot's Garage 6 inch Random Orbital Polisher

For pads, you can visit:
    The LC pads are good
    Buffer Pads Products - Detailed Image
    or here for the Uber pads which are easier to use as it tells you on the back what it's used for.
    5.5 Inch

Yes, there is a brightness adjustment. I'll see what I can come up with to fix this.

16. drew935

drew935 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    All good. Show me a picture of one of your panels on your car in direct sunlight. Toyota clear coat is easy to work on. ;)

Yes, Iron Cut is good especially if there is a lot of contamination on the paint or wheels.

17. kumatae

kumatae Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yes i finally found the bright adjustment, it's not that bad even in OC sunlight. I opened my deck once again for the 500th time to switch out the USB wire cause I had it installed in the wrong input. So while I had it opened, I took some pictures of the ASWC install. Check it out, I hope it helps.

The issue I had was the Green/Orange Wire. You can see the other Orange/Green wire next to it and I had used this initially. Alright good luck!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. drew935

drew935 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks Kumatae! I believe it is hooked up correctly. Unfortunately, I think that it's because it's not hooked up through the speaker connection and only through the RCA outputs.

19. drew935

drew935 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Has Been, I remounted the hu at a different angle and fabbed a quick piece for the visor which is nonattached and removable. I did have to remove a trim piece that wasn't allowing the hu to tilt for removal but the owner was ok with it since it did help with the glare issue. Although, the angle does not fully cure it. I guess you can raise the brightness more. I set it to +14 and contrast -2 and it still didn't seem enough but it improved a lot!
    Sorry for the dirty cam lens

20. has been

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    tks for that