1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installed kit from Plug in Supply getting 28 miles!

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by jim335, Oct 6, 2012.

1. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    For one, some don't see it as critical. Other priorities, like much better MPG after depletion, are higher for some. Prius offers more legroom in back and a more convenient (larger & flatter) cargo area.

Another could be the option to make the upgrade decision later, especially considering what the aftermarket market could do to resale value. Think about how batteries will improve over the years.

2. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Agreed. Very much agreed. Let loose the Hounds of the Aftermarket!

3. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is a very interesting topic, and I join with others in watching to see how it all works out for you. However, I wouldn't put much stock at all in a car salesman's opinion on how it affects the factory warranty. He can't be held responsible for what he says; it's practically in his job title. :)

lensovet likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    jim, what are the dimensions of the battery boxes? is this plug and play system on the pis website? thanks! sorry, am i drooling?:cool:

5. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    FWIW here is a picture of the 4kW kit installed in a Gen 3. I think the only impact to cargo capacity is a loss of some of the under floor area.

[​IMG]

Having just picked up an entire wooden swing set partially assembled with slide inside my Gen 2 by folding the rear and front seats down, I can certainly atest to its cargo hauling capabilities. I think my biggest load was ~500 lbs of metal garage shelving from HD a few years ago :) I'm continually amazed by this cars ability to do nearly everything our family of 4 needs, which most people believe they need a van or SUV to handle. The first one worked so well for us, that we ended buying another when we originally thought we'd need something bigger.

Again I think that just speaks to the importance of having a variety of choices in this market segment. With the healthy Gov subsidy the Volt is certainly a worthy contender, and will work very well for some folks. It used to be that anyone who wanted the best mileage possible had to buy a Prius whether its form factor met their needs or not. I'm very glad to see more options becoming available, and hope that trend will continue.

Rob

6. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    PIS has gone to a modular approach to their DIY kits, to order for a PiP you simply order the components needs as described below. I believe Jim essentially ordered the regular Gen 3 kit which includes the external charger for faster charging.
    Installation Instructions | DIY Pricing | Step 1

Additional I believe you can order the whole system assembled, tested and ready to install for about $1800 more, plus another $500 if you want it installed.

Rob

7. jim335

jim335 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    same size as the gen 3 except about 3 inches less on the length. They look just like that picture, but sit right behind the rear seat. About 29 x 8 x 4.5 high. It is on the plug in supply website that is the diy link. I am not sure how much assembly and install would cost as I did the work myself, with the help of Rob from Plug in supply.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks jim, and you say there isn't any work except lifting in the batteries and plugging them in?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, just clicked the link. that's a lot of parts! where do they all go?

10. plchung

plchung Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That would save charge time by charging two batteries at the same time. In case there is only one charger, is it still possible to charge original and added-on batteries with the PIP charger?

11. Electric Charge

Electric Charge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Man, if I hadn't leased my car, I would definitely have given this a shot. Doubling the range will put most people's office within EV range, and if you can charge at the office, you would be able to eliminate gas almost completely.

But I leased it with the hope that the model in 3 years will have double the capacity. That said, I am secretly hoping that Toyota is testing super capacitors, and will really impress us by then ;)

12. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    You could STILL get the Kit and plug it into your Leased PIP. Then remove it when the lease is up.

13. rockfeller

rockfeller Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have the same question too, there are too many parts. ,
    What is the parts cost alone ?.

14. Dark_Prius

Dark_Prius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It would be nice if you can hide the battery without occupying any trunk space.

SGPT12 ? 2

15. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ok, good to know that in the PiP the batteries have to sit above the floor.

16. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There seem to be 3 ways to get the PIS kit.

1) Full DIY for around $4700. Basically you get a whole bunch of parts drop shipped from the manufacturers, plus the BMS and controller from PIS and build the whole thing yourself. When its all done you still get the 3 year warranty from PIS which is nice. MJFrog did an awesome write up of his full DIY 4kW install in a Gen 2 not long ago, as you can see its a big project!
    PIS 4kwh PHEV kit assembly and installation odyssey | PriusChat

2) DIY Ready to install for about $6200-6500. Assuming this is the route Jim went. PIS orders all the parts, builds the kit and tests it then sends you the whole thing ready to plug in.

3) Fully Installed for about $6700-7000.

Rob

17. rockfeller

rockfeller Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just checked with Toyotal OEM part for 4.4kwh battery cost , its less than 3500$ per my sales guy who sold me PiP.
    Looks like PIS costs double. Not for me,

18. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    well there is no room under the floor …

19. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That's fine, but its not like you can plug in another stock battery and have it actually do anything ;) Interesting data point though, I don't think I've heard a price on the Toyota part yet.

FWIW the PIS battery is only $1500, $2700 if you want to include the BMS in that. The rest is all the stuff you need to make actually it work and extend the PiPs range.

Rob

20. jim335

jim335 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When you install for the first time you have wires to run and connect one time only. After that you just disconnect 2 wires and lift out when you need extra space. But, I still have enough space with the kit in for all my normal cargo.