1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installed kit from Plug in Supply getting 28 miles!

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by jim335, Oct 6, 2012.

1. jim335

jim335 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I will try to chrge both batteries with the level II charger at my house some day this week to see what happens. I want to be near the car so I can take data readings while that happening. Then I can share the results.

2. jim335

jim335 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When you install the kit nothing in the prius is modified!! All connections are thru existing wire connections, you remove screws and install the added wires to existing ones. to completely remove later just take out same screws and remove all new wires, re-tighten screws, lift out batteries, wires, board, relay and nobody will ever know.

3. jim335

jim335 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Plug in supply cost for diy is $4500, not double. Plug in supply batteries are about $2000. The rest of the cost is for battery management and control board and other required parts. By the way I did most of the work myself, but because my install was the first, Rob from plug in supply, helped with all aspects to be sure it would work right. The OEM parts for toyota battery do not include putting all the cells into the battery box, installing all wires (there are lots) or all the associated battery management that is part of the car. If you count labor to install and or all the parts not included in the replacement oem battery then the cost would as much or more than the kit.

4. jim335

jim335 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    True there is no room under the floor. There is, however, room in the storage compartment behind the toyota battery. It would hold over half of the kit batteries required, but it is too easy to just lift the batteries out when needed. Plus I put stuff in the storage compartment. Like for example, the charge cable, extra charger , relay and control board. This space is perfect for the rest of the required parts except for the batteries. Still room for my stuff too.

5. jim335

jim335 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If the cost of the replacement OEM battery is actually $3500 as stated above, then the cost to replace the battery in a volt would be how much. I think it is 4 times larger. Would it be $14000. How long will that batttery last? I am glad that if I ever do have to replace the prius battery it does not cost much. Since I installed the kit I know I could replace the stock battery if I had to.

6. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    $2,578.39

2012 CHEVROLET VOLT Parts - GM Parts - Genuine Replacement GM Parts - New GM Parts

Please refrain from the speculation when it is so easy to find the facts.

As to the lifetime of the Volt battery ... unlike the Prius models it has an active fluid based thermal management system.

Btw, oem replacement costs typically require an exchange for the old parts.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thank you jim, do you remove interior to run wires up to engine bay?

8. jim335

jim335 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Btw, I wasn't trying to speculate, I was hoping somebody already knew answers to the questions I was asking, so I would not have to spend time on researching. What costs $2,578.39 ?

9. rockfeller

rockfeller Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    BTW my sales guy told me that for 3500$, he will replace PiP battery.
    He did not give me parts cost, he gave an estimate for replacement.
    So I think battery should be around 2000$, plus 1000$ labor, 500$ misc parts.

10. jim335

jim335 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You only run the wires to the switch that connects and disconnects the add-on batttery, to the dash or where you want the switch. All the rest of the wiring is behind the rear seat in the cargo area, and to the 12v battery at the right rear of car.

11. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  12. jim335

jim335 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks

13. jim335

jim335 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am confused. When I called Chevrolet parts for a quote for the volt hybrid battery, they told me the cost of the part alone was $24,000.00, but was the complete battery assembly. I had guessed $14,000 +
    When I asked about the Part cost that you referenced to from the online parts store, they have a similar listing, but it is a repair kit which can only be ordered by the service technicians. Neither the online parts store or the chevy dealer parts department knew exactly what it included, but said it was for repair purposes to be used by the tecnicians. Are they jerking me around? What do you think is really the cost to replace? Just the individual cells for a battery as large as the volt battery must cost more than $2587.39, then there would be the labor to rebuild the battery. There is quite a range of possible cost here, somewhere between $24,000 and $2587. What do you think? I am sure you are more knowledgeable about the volt than I am. The reason I did not consider buying the volt instead of the Prius was that I had checked the price of the replacement cost.
    I hope you get good life from your battery.

lensovet likes this.
  14. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Lop yeah I'm sure the sales guy really knows what he's talking about

15. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If that's real, that's pretty incredible. About the cheapest decent Li batteries I've seen are the grey market A123 pouches with the tabs cut off. They're going on ebay for $1652 for 72 x 3.3V x20Ah = 4752Wh, or $0.348/Wh. GBS cells are ~$0.484/Wh.

$2578.39 for 16kWh is $0.161/Wh! Maybe we should all be buying Volt battery packs and figuring out how to build Prius PHEV conversions from them ;)

Rob

lensovet likes this.
  16. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've seen that Chevy part number referenced on PC before.. and someone mentioned that they also clarified with Chevy parts that the part number referenced above for $2500+ was not the actual battery assembly.

17. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    FWIW this version shows 3 different part numbers, $2994.64 for SERVICE RESS PACK or SERVICE RESS PACK - CLASS A and $3500 for EXPORT SERVICE ONLY.

DRIVE MOTOR BATTERY MOUNTING-300 VOLT. Fits: Volt | Tonkin Online Parts

18. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As noted in the previous post, I am pretty sure this price requires an exchange of the old pack.

A couple of threads that mention the $3500 cost for the Prius required an exchange as well.

19. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What will be sort of interesting to see is whether the low dealer price on this part translates to good deals on batteries from wrecks :)

20. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With the amount of second hand batteries that will be appearing on the market from EVs, I would expect a new application to emerge that could suck up the supply fairly well. A battery cell that is 50% of it's original capacity is still viable for something like a whole house ups, peak shaving, or off-grid solar storage.

It amazes me that people don't take into consideration that a battery has a residual value, just like a high mileage vehicle does.