1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installed kit from Plug in Supply getting 28 miles!

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by jim335, Oct 6, 2012.

1. jim335

jim335 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I agree, we should keep this discussion to the point. The charger is portable. It can stay in the car, or it can be removed by unplugging from the add-on battery. Sometimes I leave in, sometimes I take out.

2. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    No. :)

I just wanted to mention that I saw a similar setup in a Nissan LEAF this past weekend at an Electric Auto Association meeting although it was based on a kit from Enginer rather than Plug-in Supply. It added an extra 8 kWh and was installed in the bottom storage area in the back of the LEAF. Like the Prius Plugin kit, the added LEAF pack also had its own separate charger.

I wonder how much longer it will be until we see an extended pack kit for the Volt -- that's a rhetorical question so please don't speculate on the answer here.... :)

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my question (to further derail this thread) is, do prius people hang out in volt forums trying like heck to convince everyone that pip is much better than volt? or is it just an inferiority thing?:cool:

4. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    not really, many of them still own a prius. the only folks that drop in to bash the Volt are the political right wingers.

5. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Play Nice, Boys !!!

6. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Only Liberals here !!!

7. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    OK, I'm really a Centrist. But I dislike Rush, Hannity and Fox News.

chesleyn likes this.
  8. rockerdan

rockerdan PiP Rocks!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    (y)

9. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    OK, back to the Subject of Jim's added battery kit.

John Hatchett likes this.
  10. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Btw, I have a hidden agenda. If I can subtly convince jim335 to trade in his PiP for a Volt, I can buy his PIS pack at a discount and put it in my 07 Prius. :)

F8L and DadofHedgehog like this.
  11. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I wonder whether the vertical storage cabinet behind the PiP's battery is there for extra battery protection & safety in case of a rear end crash (happened to me once in my 2003 Prius - I was standing still and a a foursome in an SUV with heavy beer exhaust in the cabin "forgot" to stop). The "storage" space might be a kind of sacrificial crumple zone. I was thinking about possibly accomodating the extra batteries down there, sans the cute plastic bin, but not if the area is meant to crumple and absorb a hit.

Any comments?

12. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Well, usbseawolf2000 used to be a regular at GM-volt.com but now it is mostly john1701a (as recently as 2 days ago). They both have been very active there and are mostly perceived as commenting negatively on the Volt and GM while promoting the superiority of the Prius and Plugin Prius. Neither of them own Volts or have even tried driving them, as far as I know.

Most of the Volt owners here who comment about the car have also owned a Prius and can speak from experience on both cars. I still own my 2001 Prius which I bought new over a decade ago and I still regularly drive it. Same for my 2004 Prius Liftback.

I've driven the PiP briefly a couple of times around city streets and liked it, but a larger battery capacity works better for me and I got my Volt before the PiP was available. I also wanted to try something new and different than "just another Prius" with a plugin battery.

13. chesleyn

chesleyn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Okay can we not make this thread about Volt / Prius pissing but rather about the PIS upgrade. I wanna see pictures! Also.. how does the onboard computer know about the larger Kw capacity? Jim, do you have a SG2? What does it say the car's SoC is showing at with fully charged OEM & PIS batteries?

So many questions...

14. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I adhere to chesleyn comments, lets go to the topic and a very informative one........

15. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Who's pissing ?

The OP has been comparing the performance of his PiP with 4kwh add-on to a Volt and asking valid questions about the Volt and cost of battery replacements. No Pissing here, just a good discussion about various ways to achieve the EV range we are all looking for when we get a plug.

I'm sure the OP will get pictures and post them soon.

16. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG]

Muahaha

rogerv and usnavystgc like this.
  17. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you decide to get the Ford C-Max ? :)

I see that window sticker on a lot of the Ford trucks.

F8L likes this.
  18. jim335

jim335 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The vertical storage is part of the crumple zone. I have removed lots of the inside trim to see about hiding the add on battery and decided that it would be better not fill up that area with batteries. Most of the pack would fit if someone decided that was the way to go for them, but I chose not to do that. BTW there is extra room on the left and right and also under the charger which is mounted below the battery. The prius battery is just centered and sort of floats in the center of the avalilable area. A much larger one would have fit, but then no safety areas around it.

19. jim335

jim335 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I also view this as an informative discussion. I will try to get pictures posted soon.

John Hatchett likes this.
  20. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So if you had a used gen3 pkg5atp prius does or can this system fit where the spare tire is. How close to plug-in performance are we getting? A j1772 adapter kit would be nice and maybe dual charger/bank setup so you could use both legs on a level 2 evse.