1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installed Lexus CT200h 17" wheels and 205/50/17 tires

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by F8L, Sep 18, 2012.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How's this?
    [​IMG]

:p

2. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    [sniff] lol

3. TruSound

TruSound Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    A friend of mine has a brand new set of these CT wheels for sale if anyone is interested.

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Today's update.

I decided to drive at 58-59mph indicated because I was driving at that speed with my 15s only the dash read 60mph. To try and keep things honest I needed to slow down a bit. Weather was a bit cooler at 55F in the morning but evening temp was the same at about 83F. I had reset Trip B this morning so I could capture one full commute with the new wheels and tires. I started the day with a morning commute of 47.7mpg. Made a short miday trip worth 40mpg. The evening commute was worth 74.4mpg. The total for the day is 57.4mpg and an average indicated speed of 46mph. Not bad for brand new 17" tires with questionable rolling resistance. I think I'll keep em. LOL

5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So here is where things get weird.

If the 205/50/17 is supposed to have a revs per mile of 828 and the OE tire had a revs per mile of 829 then why did the speedo read 1.5mph to 2mph too fast with the OE 15" tire but reads perfectly accurate with the 17" tires? More deformation with the 15"? Weird. :p

6. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    That's the best looking wheel-tire setup I've seen! Wow.

F8L likes this.
  7. gt3

gt3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Looks great!!

F8L likes this.
  8. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I agree -- that is quite encouraging. If the tyres improve 5% with break-in you have a winner.

I don't think my CTh manages 60 mpg on the meter at 60 mph even after 30k miles on the MXM4s. Close, but not quite.

9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Possible moreso because they are not expensive and they have a long treadlife warranty of 70,000miles. Pretty good for a 17" tire. I've learned that they may not be the best for fuel economy in the Continental lineup, however. Even the ExtremeContact DWS may be better in terms of fuel economy! The price, comfort and longevity of the tire is nice though. I'd love to compare these tires to the OE version of the ContiProContact or the OE Toyo Proxes A20! From what I can tell the Primacy MXM4 had the same fuel economy as the aftermarket ContiProContact (not the ProContact with EcoPlus) and both tires were lower than the Goodyear Assurance ComforTread tire. Source: Tire Test Results : Testing New Grand Touring All-Season Tires

The more I learn the more confusing it gets. It seems that with a coup,e of exceptions,the OE tires are pretty damned fuel efficient, pretty expensive, and pretty terrible. So when you finally get a quality replacement tire, you suffer a fuel economy loss. Except with the Energy Saver A/S of course. I think god created that tire. :p

Codyroo likes this.
  10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    No kidding. Your results were a league above with that tyre (on 15 inch wheels.) I'll cross my fingers that the manufacturer comes out with a geometry I can use when it comes time for replacement.

While I am thinking of the A/S, did you ever have a chance to try them out in rain/snow/ice ?

11. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't. They seem to rate ok in rain but lack in ice braking. Most tires do unless they are designed for winter weather. I really wish they would make this tire available in more sizes and retain the excellent mpg characteristics and ride quality.

I believe The Critic and alfon ran them in the rain. Maybe they can tell us about their experiences. We know that Alton liked them so much he is ditching his new Ep422s for another set of Energy Savers. LOL

12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I updated the first post again with shots of the wheels from the side to show offset.

I still think I need springs. The car looks, umm bulky.

WE0H likes this.
  13. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Good luck with your new 17" tires. Bummer you couldn't get the energy saver A/S tires in that size, I would be wildly curious to see what they would do (probably only a 3-4 mpg loss). Great looking wheels.

F8L likes this.
  14. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It is quite the killjoy for sure. I would love to have these tires in 17" size I could use.

My next tank is going to be horrible. Since I am still breaking in the tires I do not expect great numbers sooooooo I'm putting it in Power Mode tomorrow and getting to work 10min earlier than normal. ;)

WE0H likes this.
  15. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Drive it like you stole it and it will go no lower than 43 mpg :eek:

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717

16. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No doubt, brother! Time to have a little fun. LOL

17. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius drives so smooth and stable even at 100 mph :D just dont get busted :rolleyes:

I was running 80-90 mph in the Swagger today on I-80. Talk about another smooth ride :)

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717

18. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have to agree... Took my Prius very close to the century mark today and it was very stable.

19. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You've got me holding back on ordering the PureContacts . . .

I could get the Extremes, but they only come in XLs, also. Perhaps going with the regular ProContacts is the thing to consider, but once I go that way, I think the Primacy MXM4s are the tires to get.

20. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, please hold off for a little while. I'm still not sure I am happy with the ride. I don't think there is a big mpg difference between these tires and the MXM4 and so far I think I like that tire better. I'll get back to you ASAP.