1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installed Lexus CT200h 17" wheels and 205/50/17 tires

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by F8L, Sep 18, 2012.

1. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not sure why you should hate Tapatalk- it works fantastic.

iPhone ?

2. tihsad

tihsad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    soo true.. i've used all iphones and ipads. but what am i rocking in my hand now? galaxy nexus and nexus 7 (on my dash and at the house) ios is dead.. boring and after jobs died.. its not going anywhere.. LOL only device interests me now are androids. g note 10.1 as a tab and g note 2 thats coming out.. or amybe asus padphone.

WE0H likes this.
  3. tihsad

tihsad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

U DO NOT F8L on this subject... thank you for ur help. i drive 35k + a year (i did 100k in 30 months with my honda civic hybrid (yuck i so regret that i bought that car over prius 2nd gen... gave me 35-38 MPG average). i need to recalculate dollar for dollar on this matter.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So this morning I drove in a similar manner to how I drove with the PureContact tires with a similar number of miles on them (approx. 150miles). It was my usual morning uphill commute. The temperature was a few degrees warmer and I hit similar traffic. The PureContacts resulted in 47.7mpg and the Primacy MXM4 resulted in 50mpg. I would take these results with a grain of salt but it seems like the MXM4 may be more fuel efficient. Without knowing if the odometer is out of whack with the different size tires I cannot say for sure.

5. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It is true that one trip on each tire doesn't make for the best of comparisons, but it would seem they offer similar FE, especially considering the larger tire is reporting lower fuel economy.

Still, which tire do you prefer? That would be the more telling answer.

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    True. I did drive 2mph slower on the larger tire to better compare the two tires speed wise.

I prefer the MXM4 overall. If I wanted a more performance oriented tire I might have to reconsider that choice as the PureContact has better steering response and feels more lively. The MXM4 feel smooth and controlled.

7. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I took the dealership's "Buy 3 get the 4th for $1" to Discount Tire and they matched the deal (plus I get the other things like lifetime road hazard, free rotation, etc.). For things to work in the Discount Tire system, it means the effective price of the MXM4s comes down to about $150 per tire, and then they discounted other services in order to get the price to $655 out the door (installed, with taxes and applicable disposal fee). They also have a deal with a local service shop for a $59 alignment.

I'm going to miss the high-MPGs of the OEM Toyos, but that's all I'll ever miss about those tires. I can't even think of driving another winter on them, and I'm glad to get some better tires on my car.

8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you will be pleased with them. I just swapped back to the 15" Energy Savers and truthfully, I think the 17" MXM4 may be smoother and a tad quieter. Hard to say for sure because my ESAS are worn more but still. Damn good tire those Primacys.

9. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks, F8L. I'm concerned about the FE loss -- don't know why, given the fact I should have a safer, quieter and more comfortable ride.

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Once they break in perform a few calculations and I think you will find the loss to look bad numerically but insignificant monetarily. :)

a priori likes this.
  11. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Finally had the Primacys installed today. Here are a couple of things I recall as my immediate reactions:
    1. Where did all of that wind noise come from? I'm not accustomed to hearing the wind noise above the sound of the tires.
    2. Who put a new stereo in my car? (And why can I turn the volume down?)
    3. Who widened the turns? In my first turn from a 45mph road to another 45mph road, driving at about 32mph going into the turn, I made my usual turn and just about flipped the car. The tires grabbed the road in a manner to which I've not been accustomed. Wow!
    4. Who made all the roads go uphill? Big MPG hit. I took a quick 33 mile run on a course I've taken many times before, and there was a very noticeable drop in fuel economy. Just earlier in the week I ran the same course with this car on the old Toyos, and the RT was above 70 MPGs. This trip was 53.5. Ambient temps were about the same; traffic about the same; SOC about the same.
    In any event, I think it is clear to me the tires are quieter and MUCH better at holding the car just where it should be. "On a rail" comes to mind.

Fuel economy is going to be a difficult loss for me, and time will only tell how much of a loss. The tires are still at 35psi all around. I'll change that soon and take it up to the mid 40s to find a comfort zone for me.

F8L likes this.
  12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I figured you would lose some fuel economy but it shouldn't be a huge hit in the long run. Had you installed another set of the OE tires you would have still lost a couple mpg because they are brand new vs. your worn tires. The MXM4 is likely less fuel efficient than the OE tires regardless. I anticipate a 2mpg loss overall but the new tires are much safer, handle better and will last longer. I believe Toyota had the OE tires designed to max fuel efficiency to the detriment of all other performance criteria. No matter what you do you have to give up some fuel efficiency to gain in those other categories. Get them broken in and let's compare the fuel economy to your old tires. Please take note of weather difference so we can make as clean a comparison as possible.

I'm eager to hear your opinion on them after they fully break in and have a couple thousand miles on them.

13. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Please keep us posted as the tires break in. I am interested to replace my Toyo Proxes A20s with the Michelin Primacy MXM4s, probaly 3 years down the road. I do about 20K per year.

I have nothing to compare them agsinst but I feel the Toyos are good for MPG, and have good handling and grip, but suck at ride comfort and noise. Going from 33/32 PSI to 44/42 PSI did not significantly increase noise or reduce comfort, but increased MPG. Traction feels about the same but I do not auto cross in the Prius.

14. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I drive about 18,000 miles per year, so I should break these tires in fairly quickly. I'll let folks know what happens with MPGs and more.

I just pumped up the Primacys to 43/41 and ran them for a few days. The ride comfort may have dropped, but it really wasn't noticeable to me. The road noise seems to have increased, but it is still so far below the Toyos it isn't funny.

The biggest changes have to do with handling and wet weather. The Michelins are amazing. As far as dry handling is concerned, they are so far above the Toyos it seems as though I switched from plastic to rubber. In wet weather, the Primacys blow the Toyos out of the water -- literally. I can't say there is a slight change, because it is an enormous improvement. I was quite concerned about skidding and losing traction in the Toyos. The Primacys don't seem to notice whether the pavement is wet or dry.

F8L, Jonny Zero and WE0H like this.
  15. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I ordered the 205/50/17 EP422 and should have them on by the end of the week. I'll report back on the ride comfort of this XL tire.

I,m glad you're liking those MXM4s. They really are an outstanding tire.

16. Larsenvega

Larsenvega Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ***deleted original post...accidentally posted in this thread that I was reading earlier instead of the intended one***

17. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks good! :)

Gotta love warm weather too!

18. Larsenvega

Larsenvega Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ha! Sorry, I meant to to post that on the "aftermarket rims" thread. Unintentional hijacking, so feel free to remove my post if any moderators see this...

BTW, thanks for all the data and research you've done F8L. Even though you went back and forth on the whole 17" issue, I still went with it after being reassured by your comments.

19. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No worries!

I have a hard time making up my mind but seeing what is possible with the GenIII on 15s made the mpg loss of 17s tough to swallow. However, averaging over 50mpg with 17s is still pretty awesome so I'm coming back to the big wheel club. ;)

sfv41901 and Larsenvega like this.
  20. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG]

Mike

sfv41901 likes this.