1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installed new inverter, have questions.

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by NinnJinn, Jun 1, 2012.

1. NinnJinn

NinnJinn Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have installed my Re-involt inverter. Now I need to know what kind of inverter coolant I need (sending wife to dealership due to working)and also how to bleed the air out of the inverter coolant.

I have googled the above questions, but as for bleeding, the videos and info were extremely vague. and there were a lot of don't do this, do that etc.

Thanks!!!

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If your wife tells the dealer parts department the model year of the car they should give her the correct coolant. IIRC the Gen I's used the Toyota LLC (Long Life) coolant. The newer models use the SLLC (Super Long Life) . But again the parts department person should be able to specify the correct coolant. I would not think that it would hurt to use the SLLC coolant.

As for bleeding air, the inverter coolant loop does not have the same problem as the ICE coolant loop does. At least not on the Gen III's anyway. When I changed the inverter coolant on my Gen III I had no problems with entrained air.

Hopefully Patrick will read this and give you the real scoop that you need :)

3. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey NinnJinn,
    To refill/bleed the inverter coolant loop, you will need 2 lengths of clear plastic hose. They will have to be long enough to go from the bleed valves to the inverter coolant reservoir. After you put as much coolant as possible into the loop, loosen the bleed valves w/ a wrench and then hand tighten them (this is done so you will be able to open and close them with the clear hose over them). Place the 2 lengths of clear hose over the bleed valves and run the other ends into the inverter reservoir. Turn the key to either START or IG ON (the ICE doesn't have to be started but monitor battery levels to make sure you don't run it down. I did mine in IG ON w/out the ICE running). At this point you should hear the inv coolant pump running and turbulence in the reservoir. Now you just open (by hand) one of the bleed valves until all the air bleeds out, do the same to the other and repeat until you see no or very little air coming out (if you open the bleed valves too far, you will always get air being sucked in at the fittings and it will seem like you never get done bleeding the system. You want to open them just to enough to bleed the air out of the system but not to much to suck in air through the threads. Its a balancing act and you'll see what I mean). It took me probably 20 minutes to bleed out all the air. I've heard others say 1-2 hours but, I think they were cracking the bleed valves too far open.

There is no problem using Super Long Life Coolant. IMO, it is highly recommended.

Good luck